2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

12

2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Rob Weir-4
Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
.

So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.

Any ideas what we might do?

For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
can run the original StarWriter?

It looks like some emulators here:

http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32

It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
of the UI.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Roberto Galoppini-2

> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
> .
>
> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>
> Any ideas what we might do?
>
> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
> can run the original StarWriter?

I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about a
StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?

Roberto

> It looks like some emulators here:
>
> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>
> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
> of the UI.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Rob Weir-4
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Roberto Galoppini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
>> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
>> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
>> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
>> .
>>
>> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>>
>> Any ideas what we might do?
>>
>> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
>> can run the original StarWriter?
>>

> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about a
> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?

Cool!

This is from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History

It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
released in 1985.

No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
would have a clue for us?

-Rob

> Roberto
>

>> It looks like some emulators here:
>>
>> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>>
>> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
>> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
>> of the UI.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Marcus (OOo)
Thats a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm not a very "old-timer" so I
cannot help with appropriate hardware or software. But maybe with
writting texts or translating from German.

Marcus

Am 10/24/2014 04:41 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
> .
>
> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>
> Any ideas what we might do?
>
> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
> can run the original StarWriter?
>
> It looks like some emulators here:
>
> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>
> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
> of the UI.

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Louis Suárez-Potts-3

> On 2014-10 -24, at 11:15, Roberto Galoppini <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
>> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
>> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
>> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
>> .
>>
>> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>>
>> Any ideas what we might do?
>>
>> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
>> can run the original StarWriter?
>>

> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about a
> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?
>
> Roberto

You could ask the originators of the program. Eg, Marco Boerries, now—or was—of No. 4 (as in his 4th company), or early (and still at it) developers, many of whom are now at Open-X (I think that’s what it’s called), in Hamburg. Perhaps Juergen knows.
louis

>> It looks like some emulators here:
>>
>> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>>
>> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
>> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
>> of the UI.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Kay Schenk-2

On 10/24/2014 07:41 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
> .
>
> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.

Truly monumental!

> Any ideas what we might do?
>
> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
> can run the original StarWriter?
>
> It looks like some emulators here:
>
> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>
> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
> of the UI.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Malte Timmermann-3
Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th
Anniversary.

StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.

In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++.
By completely different people.

When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years
went by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to
create native system widgets for their corresponding components. As this
approach lead to different issues, and not all systems had the same set
of widgets, we later replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.

First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw
developed outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology
stack. Iirc, StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all
components based on StarView.

The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0
for DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).

The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice

Just some historical data.... :)

Best regards
Malte.

On 24.10.2014 17:25, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Roberto Galoppini
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
>>> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
>>> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
>>> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
>>> .
>>>
>>> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what we might do?
>>>
>>> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
>>> can run the original StarWriter?
>>>

>> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about a
>> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?
>>

> Cool!
>
> This is from Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>
> It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
> released in 1985.
>
> No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
> would have a clue for us?
>
> -Rob
>
>> Roberto
>>

>>> It looks like some emulators here:
>>>
>>> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>>>
>>> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
>>> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
>>> of the UI.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Rob

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
Malte!
So, you do realize this is probably one of the very very few witness
accounts we have of the origins of StarOffice? (later OpenOffice) ... and
if you were to consent to writing more--or being interviewed in a podcast
for more--we, or at least I, would be grateful... and better informed of
that application that has so formed my adult life.

best
louis

On 27 October 2014 14:53, Malte Timmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th
> Anniversary.
>
> StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
> Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.
>
> In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
> StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++. By
> completely different people.
>
> When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
> also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
> from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
> version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years went
> by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to create native
> system widgets for their corresponding components. As this approach lead to
> different issues, and not all systems had the same set of widgets, we later
> replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.
>
> First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw developed
> outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology stack. Iirc,
> StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all components based
> on StarView.
>
> The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
> also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0 for
> DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).
>
> The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice
>
> Just some historical data.... :)
>
> Best regards
> Malte.
>

> On 24.10.2014 17:25, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Roberto Galoppini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>  Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the

>>> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about
>>> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?
>>>

>> Cool!
>>
>> This is from Wikipedia:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>>
>> It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
>> released in 1985.
>>
>> No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
>> would have a clue for us?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>  Roberto

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Alphonso Whitfield III

When is the English language dictionary going to be fixed in the spell checker application?

Alphonso Whitfield III
912-590-6266 Sales Office
912-590-6139 Ops Center
[hidden email]
Vital Inc.
315 Plant Ave
Suite E
Waycross, Georgia 31501

So, you do realize this is probably one of the very very few witness
accounts we have of the origins of StarOffice? (later OpenOffice) ... and
if you were to consent to writing more--or being interviewed in a podcast
for more--we, or at least I, would be grateful... and better informed of
that application that has so formed my adult life.

best
louis

On 27 October 2014 14:53, Malte Timmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th

> Anniversary.
>
> StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
> Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.
>
> In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
> StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++. By
> completely different people.
>
> When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
> also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
> from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
> version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years went
> by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to create native
> system widgets for their corresponding components. As this approach lead to
> different issues, and not all systems had the same set of widgets, we later
> replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.
>
> First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw developed
> outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology stack. Iirc,
> StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all components based
> on StarView.
>
> The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
> also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0 for
> DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).
>
> The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice
>
> Just some historical data.... :)
>
> Best regards
> Malte.
>

> On 24.10.2014 17:25, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Roberto Galoppini
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>  Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the

>>> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard about
>>> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?
>>>

>> Cool!
>>
>> This is from Wikipedia:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>>
>> It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
>> released in 1985.
>>
>> No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
>> would have a clue for us?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>  Roberto

English dictionary (Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary)

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 27/10/2014 Alphonso Whitfield III wrote:
> When is the English language dictionary going to be fixed in the spell
> checker application?

The English dictionary is not supposed to be fixed since it already
works. If it doesn't work for you, try resettin your user profile. There
are plenty of explanations around, see for example
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Note that your comment has nothing to do with the original topic of this
discussion. Please do change at least the subject (and possibly start a
new discussion instead of replying to an existing one).

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 10/27/2014 11:53 AM, Malte Timmermann wrote:

> Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th
> Anniversary.
>
> StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
> Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.
>
> In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
> StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++.
> By completely different people.
>
> When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
> also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
> from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
> version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years
> went by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to
> create native system widgets for their corresponding components. As this
> approach lead to different issues, and not all systems had the same set
> of widgets, we later replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.
>
> First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw
> developed outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology
> stack. Iirc, StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all
> components based on StarView.
>
> The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
> also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0
> for DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).
>
> The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice
>
> Just some historical data.... :)
>
> Best regards
> Malte.

Well a 25 year anniversary is pretty momentous as well! :) And, thank
you for this historical perspective.

It would be a great service if someone could get the German and English
Wikipedia entries for StarOffice in sync.

> On 24.10.2014 17:25, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> I'm still a proud owner of a ZX Spectrum Sinclair 48k, never heard
>>> about a
>>> StarWriter app, though. Does it exist, ideas about to get it?
>>>

>> Cool!
>>
>> This is from Wikipedia:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>>
>> It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
>> released in 1985.
>>
>> No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
>> would have a clue for us?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> Roberto

Re: English dictionary (Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary)

Alphonso Whitfield III

Wrong answer.The end user should not have to fix anything it should work when the product is downloaded or the application should not be included in the download.

It worked without difficulty prior to the latest version being released. I sent true end users to download the software , they downloaded the software and the spell check dictionary did not work. This damages our credibility as an alternative solution to pay for products that are available.

What is the timeline for the download to be corrected?

Alphonso Whitfield III
912-590-6266 Sales Office
912-590-6139 Ops Center
[hidden email]
Vital Inc.
315 Plant Ave
Suite E

Waycross, Georgia 31501

On 28/10/2014 Alphonso Whitfield III wrote:
> Wrong answer.The end user should not have to fix anything it should
> work when the product is downloaded or the application should not be
> included in the download. It worked without difficulty prior to the
> latest version being released. I sent true end users to download the
> software , they downloaded the software and the spell check
> dictionary did not work. This damages our credibility as an
> alternative solution to pay for products that are available. What is
> the timeline for the download to be corrected?

Of course it's a bug (OpenOffice does not deliberately break the user
profile) and it was deeply investigated and presumably fixed some time
back, but once your profile is corrupted you can't fix it by
reinstalling or updating OpenOffice: you need to reset your profile. I
already sent relevant links and most of our Release Notes contain
instructions on how to fix the bug.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Malte Timmermann-3
Hi Louis,

I am not interested in being interviewed in a podcast, but if you have
specific questions, just let me know. Private email to my web.de
account, as I don't follow the mails on the AOO/LO lists on a regular
base, except for the security lists.

And you are right wrt many early developers working for Open-Xchange now :)

We are 14(!) former colleagues from Sun's OpenOffice.org.team. 12 of
them even already worked for StarDivision.

Same focus - Office productivity, ODF and OOXML.

Just different technology - now written for the browser.

Best regards
Malte.

On 27.10.2014 19:57, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:

> Malte!
> So, you do realize this is probably one of the very very few witness
> accounts we have of the origins of StarOffice? (later OpenOffice) ... and
> if you were to consent to writing more--or being interviewed in a podcast
> for more--we, or at least I, would be grateful... and better informed of
> that application that has so formed my adult life.
>
> best
> louis
>
> On 27 October 2014 14:53, Malte Timmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th
>> Anniversary.
>>
>> StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
>> Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.
>>
>> In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
>> StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++. By
>> completely different people.
>>
>> When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
>> also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
>> from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
>> version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years went
>> by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to create native
>> system widgets for their corresponding components. As this approach lead to
>> different issues, and not all systems had the same set of widgets, we later
>> replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.
>>
>> First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw developed
>> outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology stack. Iirc,
>> StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all components based
>> on StarView.
>>
>> The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
>> also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0 for
>> DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).
>>
>> The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice
>>
>> Just some historical data.... :)
>>
>> Best regards
>> Malte.
>>

>> On 24.10.2014 17:25, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> Cool!
>>>
>>> This is from Wikipedia:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice#History
>>>
>>> It references a page on our wiki that claims StarWriter 1.0 was
>>> released in 1985.
>>>
>>> No idea where to get the code.   Maybe Juergen or another "old-timer"
>>> would have a clue for us?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>>>   Roberto

RE: English dictionary (Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary)

Dennis E. Hamilton
There is no wrong answer here.

The question is, do you want to fix your immediate problem, or are you willing to wait until there is something in the installer to destroy your profile every time you install an update, or something else?

Andrea described the state of affairs and the options for working around it that are available now.

Let's look a little deeper.

There are occasions where the user profile carries information that causes opening of an application to fail because of a document-recovery failure or other corruption of previous work. There may also be problems because an user profile is corrupted in some manner, all by itself.  This is because some sort of corruption happened already, and restarting doesn't improve matters.

If we could tell that this was the case in the software, OpenOffice could request permission to fix it immediately on it being detected.  It would not have anything to do with installing updates.  (The reason for engaging users is that there may be other consequences if the fix involves deleting the user profile or destruction of autosave material.)

Alternatively, there could be some sort of option in the current document-recovery-failure message to ask if the user profile should be reset.  I.e., give the user a way to break out of the problem by selecting a don't recover option on the dialog, or something.  Again, this has nothing to do with giving magical powers to the installer.

This is easy to say.  It may be hard to implement.  And it requires some volunteers (not just one) to tease it out, come up with fixes, verify the situation by intentionally creating document-recovery problems, and also ensure that the remedy is otherwise benign.  That will take volunteers who are equipped to deal with the problem and have both the desire and the opportunity to work on it.

I agree that it would be valuable to have such a remedy, and anything that inspires user confidence is important.   You might want to find a bug to vote for, such as
<https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=71681>.
  Or <https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=61610>.
There are others (I found over 100 bugzilla entries using search on "document recovery."  There are many ways for there to be corruption of one kind or another.

 - Dennis

On 27/10/2014 Alphonso Whitfield III wrote:
> When is the English language dictionary going to be fixed in the spell
> checker application?

The English dictionary is not supposed to be fixed since it already
works. If it doesn't work for you, try resettin your user profile. There
are plenty of explanations around, see for example
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Note that your comment has nothing to do with the original topic of this
discussion. Please do change at least the subject (and possibly start a
new discussion instead of replying to an existing one).

Regards,
Andrea.

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Louis Suárez-Potts-3
Hi Malte,

> On 2014-10 -28, at 04:22, Malte Timmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Louis,
>
> I am not interested in being interviewed in a podcast, but if you have specific questions, just let me know. Private email to my web.de account, as I don't follow the mails on the AOO/LO lists on a regular base, except for the security lists.

Okay. I think it would be as others expressed, to give more on the early history of a rather significant artifact. The early history of the application is something that continues with us, and it’s also something that’s frankly interesting, at least to those of us curious about how multiperson collaborations of this sort are conceived and then produced over decades.

> And you are right wrt many early developers working for Open-Xchange now :)

Yes, and perhaps one day we’ll even see something (I joke; there is already something).

> We are 14(!) former colleagues from Sun's OpenOffice.org.team. 12 of them even already worked for StarDivision.

Wow.

> Same focus - Office productivity, ODF and OOXML.

Hm. You might want to share with us what’s going on over there….

> Just different technology - now written for the browser.

Right. Can you edit in the browser? I mean, edit ODF or OOXML docs. using, for instance, Chrome or Firefox or Safari?

> Best regards
> Malte.

Best,
Louis

> On 27.10.2014 19:57, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> Malte!
>> So, you do realize this is probably one of the very very few witness
>> accounts we have of the origins of StarOffice? (later OpenOffice) ... and
>> if you were to consent to writing more--or being interviewed in a podcast
>> for more--we, or at least I, would be grateful... and better informed of
>> that application that has so formed my adult life.
>>
>> best
>> louis
>>
>> On 27 October 2014 14:53, Malte Timmermann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Honestly, I don't agree on 30th Anniversary, but see 2015 as 25th
>>> Anniversary.
>>>
>>> StarWriter for text screens was written in Lueneburg near Hamburg. In
>>> Pascal. By people which later didn't work on StarWriter for Windows.
>>>
>>> In 1990, Marco started the new StarDivision location in Hamburg.
>>> StarWriter for GUI systems to be developed from scratch. Written in C++. By
>>> completely different people.
>>>
>>> When I started there in 1991, there was only a Writer prototype, as we
>>> also needed to first develop StarView, the class library for abstracting
>>> from Windows, OS/2, Mac and Unix Motif. Yes, there was a StarWriter Mac
>>> version in the beginning, long before it was canceled, and many years went
>>> by before there was one again! The concept of StarView was to create native
>>> system widgets for their corresponding components. As this approach lead to
>>> different issues, and not all systems had the same set of widgets, we later
>>> replaced StarView with VCL, as you know it today.
>>>
>>> First versions of StarOffice for Windows contained Calc and Draw developed
>>> outside from StarDivision, both using their own technology stack. Iirc,
>>> StarOffice 3.0 was the first version of the suite with all components based
>>> on StarView.
>>>
>>> The English Wiki referenced page below is misleading wrt versions. There
>>> also was a StarWriter 1.0 for Windows, many years after StarWriter 1.0 for
>>> DOS (which already was available in version 6 then).
>>>
>>> The version history is much better documented on the German Wiki page:
>>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice
>>>
>>> Just some historical data.... :)
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Malte.

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

jonathon-3

On 27/10/14 19:05, Alphonso Whitfield III wrote:

> When is the English language dictionary going to be fixed in the spell checker  application?

a) Which English dictionary are you referring to;
b) Which cant are you referring to;
c) What is wrong with it, that it, in your opinion, needs fixing;

jonathon

On 28.10.2014 21:12, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> Hi Malte,
>> And you are right wrt many early developers working for Open-Xchange now :)
>
> Yes, and perhaps one day we’ll even see something (I joke; there is already something).

Actually everyone can look at the demo version of App Suite, including
OX Text and OX Spreadsheet:

http://www.open-xchange.com/demo

>> Same focus - Office productivity, ODF and OOXML.
>
> Hm. You might want to share with us what’s going on over there….

See below :)

>> Just different technology - now written for the browser.
>
> Right. Can you edit in the browser? I mean, edit ODF or OOXML docs. using, for instance, Chrome or Firefox or Safari?

Exactly. ODF and OOXML are our natively supported formats that we can
edit in the browser. Text and Spreadsheet are already available.

We work on the documents very different compared to Open Office or MS
Office. One of our most important features is the document roundtrip.
You can safely switch between editing with OX Documents and editing with
your native application. And we have real-time communication to quickly
distribute changes to other clients.

I just wrote a blog post that explains the technical details how we
achieve it.

> http://techblog.open-xchange.com/2014/11/13/ox-documents-roundtrip-and-operations/

Best regards
Malte.

Re: 2015 -- Our 30th Anniversary

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 13/11/14 17:23, Malte Timmermann wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> On 28.10.2014 21:12, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
>> Hi Malte,
>>> And you are right wrt many early developers working for Open-Xchange
>>> now :)
>>
>> Yes, and perhaps one day we’ll even see something (I joke; there is
>> already something).
>
> Actually everyone can look at the demo version of App Suite, including
> OX Text and OX Spreadsheet:
>
> http://www.open-xchange.com/demo

cool, you make good progress, I like it

Juergen

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 7:41 AM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Those who know the history know that Apache OpenOffice is the
> continuation of the OpenOffice.org project, which itself came from a
> proprietary suite developed in Germany called StarOffice, which itself
> started as StarWriter, an application written in 1985 by Marco Börries
> .
>
> So next year, in 2015, will be our 30th anniversary.
>
> Any ideas what we might do?
>
> For example, does anyone still have a Zilog Z80 (or an emulator) that
> can run the original StarWriter?
>
> It looks like some emulators here:
>
> http://www.z80.info/z80emu.htm#EMU_CPU_W32
>
> It might be interesting to show the history of Writer, from release to
> release, via a set of screen shots (or a movie) showing the evolution
> of the UI.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Can we reach a consensus on whether 2015 should be a 25 yr or 30 yr
anniversary? It would be great to get some graphic types involved soon in
creating an appropriate logo for the websites to put up in 2015.

Despite the fact that 1985 was the release of a text based StarWriter
rather than graphical, I, personally am good with this date.

MzK

"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth
 to a dancing star."
                                 -- Friedrich Nietzsche
12