4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS

1234

4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS

FR web forum
Hello dev,
FYI a french user reports this on MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
Run File - New - Business Cards
Choose how your business cards will look
Click on New document
Modifiy the first label
When you click on the Synchronize Labels button, the current label is not copied to all others.

Rollback to 4.1.3: works as expected.

Re: 4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS

Patricia Shanahan
Thanks for the report.

I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment, based
on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some more
sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone check
whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it down.

On 10/10/2017 12:49 AM, FR web forum wrote:

> Hello dev,
> FYI a french user reports this on MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
> Run File - New - Business Cards
> Choose how your business cards will look
> Click on New document
> Modifiy the first label
> When you click on the Synchronize Labels button, the current label is not copied to all others.
>
> Rollback to 4.1.3: works as expected.

4.1.4 show stopper! (was: 4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS)

Mathias Röllig
Hello!

Even on Linux.

Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is
changed.

The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update →
Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).

Simply
1. create a new text document
2. insert a section with content
3. insert a section as link to the first section
4. change the content of the first section

5. Tools… → Update → Links
or Tools… → Update → Update All

=> Nothing happens. :-(

Regards, Mathias

Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

> Thanks for the report.
>
> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment, based
> on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some more
> sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone check
> whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it down.
>
> On 10/10/2017 12:49 AM, FR web forum wrote:
>> Hello dev,
>> FYI a french user reports this on MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
>> Run File - New - Business Cards
>> Choose how your business cards will look
>> Click on New document
>> Modifiy the first label
>> When you click on the Synchronize Labels button, the current label is
>> not copied to all others.
>>
>> Rollback to 4.1.3: works as expected.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Patricia Shanahan
I have a theory for the Labels issue, and am in the process of building
to test it.

On an extremely experimental, untested, basis I am attaching a candidate
fix.

On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Even on Linux.
>
> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is
> changed.
>
> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update →
> Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>
> Simply
> 1. create a new text document
> 2. insert a section with content
> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
> 4. change the content of the first section
>
> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>
> => Nothing happens. :-(
>
> Regards, Mathias
>
> Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> Thanks for the report.
>>
>> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment,
>> based on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some
>> more sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone
>> check whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it
>> down.
>>
>> On 10/10/2017 12:49 AM, FR web forum wrote:
>>> Hello dev,
>>> FYI a french user reports this on MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
>>> Run File - New - Business Cards
>>> Choose how your business cards will look
>>> Click on New document
>>> Modifiy the first label
>>> When you click on the Synchronize Labels button, the current label is
>>> not copied to all others.
>>>
>>> Rollback to 4.1.3: works as expected.

labels_bug.patch (580 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Patricia Shanahan
The equivalent of this patch for my debug environment does fix the
labels problem.

> I have a theory for the Labels issue, and am in the process of building
> to test it.
>
> On an extremely experimental, untested, basis I am attaching a candidate
> fix.
>
> On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Even on Linux.
>>
>> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section
>> is changed.
>>
>> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update
>> → Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>>
>> Simply
>> 1. create a new text document
>> 2. insert a section with content
>> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
>> 4. change the content of the first section
>>
>> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
>> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>>
>> => Nothing happens. :-(
>>
>> Regards, Mathias
>>
>> Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>>> Thanks for the report.
>>>
>>> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment,
>>> based on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some
>>> more sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone
>>> check whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow
>>> it down.

Re: 4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS

Pedro Lino-3

> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment, based
>     on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some more
>     sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone check
>     whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it down.

I confirm that I can replicate the problem in 4.1.4 RC4 under Windows 7 but not when using 4.2.0 (build 1811013)

Re: 4.1.4 RC4: synchronize labels don't work on MacOS

Peter Kovacs-3
Can we document the issue in bugzilla?
Plus maybe link this discussion in it?

Am 10. Oktober 2017 12:54:41 MESZ schrieb Pedro Lino <[hidden email]>:

>> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment,
>based
>>     on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some
>more
>>     sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone
>check
>>     whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it
>down.
>>

>I confirm that I can replicate the problem in 4.1.4 RC4 under Windows 7
>but not when using 4.2.0 (build 1811013)

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Patricia Shanahan
The attached patch fixes this, as well as the business card case.

On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Even on Linux.
>
> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is
> changed.
>
> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update →
> Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>
> Simply
> 1. create a new text document
> 2. insert a section with content
> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
> 4. change the content of the first section
>
> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>
> => Nothing happens. :-(
>
> Regards, Mathias
>
> Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> Thanks for the report.
>>
>> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment,
>> based on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some
>> more sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone
>> check whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it
>> down.
>>
>> On 10/10/2017 12:49 AM, FR web forum wrote:
>>> Hello dev,
>>> FYI a french user reports this on MacBook Pro SSD OS X 10.12.6 Sierra
>>> Run File - New - Business Cards
>>> Choose how your business cards will look
>>> Click on New document
>>> Modifiy the first label
>>> When you click on the Synchronize Labels button, the current label is
>>> not copied to all others.
>>>
>>> Rollback to 4.1.3: works as expected.

labels_bug.patch (580 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Jim Jagielski
Thx again!

Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
start the process for AOO-415

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:16 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The attached patch fixes this, as well as the business card case.
>
> On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:
>> Hello!
>> Even on Linux.
>> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is changed.
>> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update → Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>> Simply
>> 1. create a new text document
>> 2. insert a section with content
>> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
>> 4. change the content of the first section
>> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
>> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>> => Nothing happens. :-(
>> Regards, Mathias
>> Am 10.10.2017 um 11:10 schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>>> Thanks for the report.
>>>
>>> I have reproduced the problem in my Windows 8.1 debug environment, based on trunk but with some 4.1.4 changes added. I need to get some more sleep before serious debug (it is 2:08 a.m. here). Could someone check whether it happens in the unmodified trunk? That would narrow it down.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Patricia Shanahan
Why the need to bump the release number, rather than kill RC4 and build RC5?

On 10/10/2017 5:54 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Thx again!
>
> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
> start the process for AOO-415
>
>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:16 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The attached patch fixes this, as well as the business card case.
>>
>> On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> Even on Linux.
>>> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is changed.
>>> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update → Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>>> Simply
>>> 1. create a new text document
>>> 2. insert a section with content
>>> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
>>> 4. change the content of the first section
>>> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
>>> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>>> => Nothing happens. :-(
>>> Regards, Mathias

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Jim Jagielski
The reason is that we have *TAGGED* 4.1.4. :(

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:56 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Why the need to bump the release number, rather than kill RC4 and build RC5?
>
> On 10/10/2017 5:54 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Thx again!
>> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
>> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
>> start the process for AOO-415
>>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:16 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The attached patch fixes this, as well as the business card case.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Patricia Shanahan
Don't be confused by my remark about "trunk but with some 4.1.4. changes
added". The problem is in the 4.1.4 changes that are in my trunk-based
debug environment. Pedro Lino has confirmed that the checked-in trunk
does not have the problem.

I had a situation in which I had to choose between true or false for
initializing a variable. Unfortunately, I was not able to find any case
in which it mattered, and used my best judgement based on what I knew at
the time. It turns out it does matter, and I got it wrong.

On 10/10/2017 5:54 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Thx again!
>
> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
> start the process for AOO-415
>
>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 8:16 AM, Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The attached patch fixes this, as well as the business card case.
>>
>> On 10/10/2017 2:59 AM, Mathias Röllig wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>> Even on Linux.
>>> Problem: linked sections will not be updated if the original section is changed.
>>> The button [Synchronise Labels] do nothing other than Tools… → Update → Links (or Tools… → Update → Update All).
>>> Simply
>>> 1. create a new text document
>>> 2. insert a section with content
>>> 3. insert a section as link to the first section
>>> 4. change the content of the first section
>>> 5. Tools… → Update → Links
>>> or Tools… → Update → Update All
>>> => Nothing happens. :-(
>>> Regards, Mathias

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Andrea Pescetti-2
Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
> start the process for AOO-415

We are still in time for retiring 4.1.4-RC4 (not 4.1.4 altogether).

Builds are on SourceForge but they've never been distributed and they
can be replaced by new builds.

4.1.4 is tagged but SVN tags can be deleted and recreated. Not best
practice, but surely feasible.

Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something
named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a look
at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would definitely
stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while undoing what we
did for 4.1.4-RC4.

Note: I'm writing all of the above without having had the time to look
at the patch or test. I'll do that this evening, European time. I have
still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume this
affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery way of
"fix just another small bug" for ages.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Raphael Bircher-3
Am .10.2017, 15:38 Uhr, schrieb Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait
>> for
>> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
>> start the process for AOO-415
>
> We are still in time for retiring 4.1.4-RC4 (not 4.1.4 altogether).
>
> Builds are on SourceForge but they've never been distributed and they
> can be replaced by new builds.
>
> 4.1.4 is tagged but SVN tags can be deleted and recreated. Not best
> practice, but surely feasible.
>
> Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something
> named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a look
> at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would definitely
> stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while undoing what we
> did for 4.1.4-RC4.

+100

> Note: I'm writing all of the above without having had the time to look
> at the patch or test. I'll do that this evening, European time. I have
> still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume this
> affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery way of
> "fix just another small bug" for ages.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Andrea, all

> Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something
>     named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a look
>     at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would definitely
>     stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while undoing what we
>     did for 4.1.4-RC4.

+1

> I have
>     still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume this
>     affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery way of
>     "fix just another small bug" for ages.

This is not a fix for a small bug. It is a regression introduced since 4.1.3

I believe all regressions from 4.1.3 should be fixed before release. After all 4.1.4 is a bug fix release, so regressions are not expected (or acceptable IMO)

Pedro

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Jim Jagielski
Once something is tagged it is public. It is official. Removing and/or
adjusting tags is something that we cannot and should not do. It is
really against ASF policy since it destroys an accurate representation
of our history and IP provenance.

If someone wishes to take over as RM, I am fine with that. I will
still produce the required builds. But as long as I'm RM, I can't
abide by "rewriting" history re: 4.1.4... But like I said, I'm OK
w/ someone taking over as RM and will follow their direction
whatever it is.

> On Oct 10, 2017, at 9:38 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait for
>> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
>> start the process for AOO-415
>
> We are still in time for retiring 4.1.4-RC4 (not 4.1.4 altogether).
>
> Builds are on SourceForge but they've never been distributed and they can be replaced by new builds.
>
> 4.1.4 is tagged but SVN tags can be deleted and recreated. Not best practice, but surely feasible.
>
> Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a look at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would definitely stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while undoing what we did for 4.1.4-RC4.
>
> Note: I'm writing all of the above without having had the time to look at the patch or test. I'll do that this evening, European time. I have still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume this affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery way of "fix just another small bug" for ages.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

Resigning as RM for 4.1.x

Jim Jagielski
To be honest, I really don't think I have the time or energy at present
to continue on as RM for the 4.1.x stuff, no matter what we do. After
being away at confs for ~3weeks, I have quite a bit of a backlog.

Who wants to take over. I still am signing up to do the macOS and
Linux 32/64 bit builds.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Raphael Bircher-3
Hi Jim, *

I understand this, I have just an idea. We keep the 4.1.4 as is and
release a patch for the bug. Then we make just new community builds with
the patch. Like this we avoid to make a 4.1.5 and we stick within the ASF
policy.

Regards Raphael

Am .10.2017, 16:35 Uhr, schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:

> Once something is tagged it is public. It is official. Removing and/or
> adjusting tags is something that we cannot and should not do. It is
> really against ASF policy since it destroys an accurate representation
> of our history and IP provenance.
>
> If someone wishes to take over as RM, I am fine with that. I will
> still produce the required builds. But as long as I'm RM, I can't
> abide by "rewriting" history re: 4.1.4... But like I said, I'm OK
> w/ someone taking over as RM and will follow their direction
> whatever it is.
>
>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 9:38 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> Considering this issue, this means that 4.1.4 is also DOA. I will wait
>>> for
>>> a few more hours, for West Coast to get online but my plan is to
>>> start the process for AOO-415
>>
>> We are still in time for retiring 4.1.4-RC4 (not 4.1.4 altogether).
>>
>> Builds are on SourceForge but they've never been distributed and they
>> can be replaced by new builds.
>>
>> 4.1.4 is tagged but SVN tags can be deleted and recreated. Not best
>> practice, but surely feasible.
>>
>> Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something
>> named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a look
>> at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would
>> definitely stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while
>> undoing what we did for 4.1.4-RC4.
>>
>> Note: I'm writing all of the above without having had the time to look
>> at the patch or test. I'll do that this evening, European time. I have
>> still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume this
>> affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery way of
>> "fix just another small bug" for ages.
>>
>> Regards,
>>  Andrea.

Re: 4.1.4 show stopper!

Mathias Röllig
Hello Raphael!

Am 10.10.2017 um 17:10 schrieb Raphael Bircher:
 > I understand this, I have just an idea. We keep the 4.1.4 as is and
 > release a patch for the bug. Then we make just new community builds
 > with > the patch. Like this we avoid to make a 4.1.5 and we stick
 > within the ASF policy.

A patch for *all* platforms must also be tested in all ways. So I think,
this way isn't an easy and good way.
Simply let 4.1.4 as is but don't let it (official) free.
Create a 4.1.5-RC1 (or maybe 4.1.4-RC5 if possible) with this patch, and
if no further errors announce 4.1.5.

Regards Mathias

> Regards Raphael
>
> Am .10.2017, 16:35 Uhr, schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Once something is tagged it is public. It is official. Removing and/or
>> adjusting tags is something that we cannot and should not do. It is
>> really against ASF policy since it destroys an accurate representation
>> of our history and IP provenance.
>>
>> If someone wishes to take over as RM, I am fine with that. I will
>> still produce the required builds. But as long as I'm RM, I can't
>> abide by "rewriting" history re: 4.1.4... But like I said, I'm OK
>> w/ someone taking over as RM and will follow their direction
>> whatever it is.
>>
>>> On Oct 10, 2017, at 9:38 AM, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:

>>> We are still in time for retiring 4.1.4-RC4 (not 4.1.4 altogether).
>>>
>>> Builds are on SourceForge but they've never been distributed and they
>>> can be replaced by new builds.
>>>
>>> 4.1.4 is tagged but SVN tags can be deleted and recreated. Not best
>>> practice, but surely feasible.
>>>
>>> Remember that the amount of code changes needed to produce something
>>> named 4.1.5 is quite significant and very much error-prone. Take a
>>> look at the relevant issues in case, but for a "quick fix" I would
>>> definitely stick to 4.1.4, produce 4.1.4-RC5 and vote on RC5, while
>>> undoing what we did for 4.1.4-RC4.
>>>
>>> Note: I'm writing all of the above without having had the time to
>>> look at the patch or test. I'll do that this evening, European time.
>>> I have still to understand the importance of this bug too - I assume
>>> this affects potentially many users, otherwise we can go the slippery
>>> way of "fix just another small bug" for ages.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>  Andrea.

Re: Resigning as RM for 4.1.x

Peter Kovacs-3
That's sad news. :(

I have no time until 20th. I would sign up for RM for 4.2.0. (And optional 4.1.5 if we decide for this approach.)
However I would not do any building only the organisational part of collecting bugs and tracking / triggering the advancement.

If that's fine for all.

One sidenote for all. We need to explain the situation somehow if we do not sneak the patch in. ( it seems to be a small thing )

All the best
 peter

Am 10. Oktober 2017 17:04:14 MESZ schrieb Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]>:

>To be honest, I really don't think I have the time or energy at present
>to continue on as RM for the 4.1.x stuff, no matter what we do. After
>being away at confs for ~3weeks, I have quite a bit of a backlog.
>
>Who wants to take over. I still am signing up to do the macOS and
>Linux 32/64 bit builds.

1234