A Google search shows "current version" is "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 released 18 November 2018"

A Google search shows "current version" is "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 released 18 November 2018"

Richard Janke

Something needs to be updated about misleading Google search results.

Using the Google search https://www.google.com/search?q=Current+Version+of+Apache+OpenOffice yields the information in the snippet returned that the current Apache OpenOffice version is "4.1.6 released 18 November 2018".   This implies that it hasn't been updated in two years.

Screen print:

This might cause people to bypass downloading Apache OpenOffice in favor of LibreOffice.

Also misleading is the wikipedia result returned under "People also ask" . . . Is Apache OpenOffice still supported?

Screen print:

Using quotes doesn't help either

Re: A Google search shows "current version" is "Apache OpenOffice 4.1.6 released 18 November 2018"

Andrea Pescetti-2
Richard Janke wrote:
> Something needs to be updated about misleading Google search results.
> Using the Google search
> https://www.google.com/search?q=Current+Version+of+*Apache*+*OpenOffice*
> yields the information in the snippet

Thanks for your report. Does the link at the end of the snippet in your
screenshot point to the https://www.openoffice.org/ home page? In this
case we could remove older releases from the homepage to help Google
find the correct answer.

> Also misleading is the /*wikipedia */result

Wikipedia is problematic and misleading indeed. You can find very old
discussions about this buried in our archives at
https://lists.apache.org/list.html but we won't be able to do much.

Regards,
   Andrea.