A nudge in the right direction

Marc Andrysco
Hello,

I've been programming for about 4 years now and just completed the
advanced placement class for Java at our high school, and I was thinking
to myself, where could I find some good programming experience.
Naturally, the answer was to find an open source project to work on,
which wound me up here.  I've used OpenOffice for about a year, and my
father's company of about five people is trying to convert as much as
possible to using it (the MS licensing fees are killing him), and think
this would be a perfect project for me to help work on (and maybe
bolster my slim chances of making it into MIT).  I've begun reading the
developers manual and was wondering what else I should to get started.
After the deluge of project due on May 19th, I've got basically nothing
to do, so I figure that I might-as-well work on something like this.  As
long as the problem intrigues me, I tend to work on programs all day
long, and I think this effort would be best applied to a great
application like OpenOffice (I thought about other open source projects,
but this one seemed the most interesting).  Anyway, anything else I
should to do to get started?

Marc Andrysco

Re: A nudge in the right direction

Andrew Brown-4
Marc Andrysco <[hidden email]> wrote in news:4462AEC1.1030302
@paintballnexus.com:

>   As
> long as the problem intrigues me, I tend to work on programs all day
> long, and I think this effort would be best applied to a great
> application like OpenOffice (I thought about other open source projects,
> but this one seemed the most interesting).  Anyway, anything else I
> should to do to get started?

An add-in to post to popular blog formats would be timely :-) There is a
draft of such a thing, in Python, here -
http://blogs.linux.ie/caolan/2005/10/06/ooo-blogger/

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.

Re: A nudge in the right direction

CPHennessy
On Thu May 11 2006 04:25, Marc Andrysco wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been programming for about 4 years now and just completed the
> advanced placement class for Java at our high school, and I was thinking
> to myself, where could I find some good programming experience.
> Naturally, the answer was to find an open source project to work on,
> which wound me up here.  I've used OpenOffice for about a year, and my
> father's company of about five people is trying to convert as much as
> possible to using it (the MS licensing fees are killing him), and think
> this would be a perfect project for me to help work on (and maybe
> bolster my slim chances of making it into MIT).  I've begun reading the
> developers manual and was wondering what else I should to get started.
> After the deluge of project due on May 19th, I've got basically nothing
> to do, so I figure that I might-as-well work on something like this.  As
> long as the problem intrigues me, I tend to work on programs all day
> long, and I think this effort would be best applied to a great
> application like OpenOffice (I thought about other open source projects,
> but this one seemed the most interesting).  Anyway, anything else I
> should to do to get started?

Hi Marc,
As you are not subscribed you may not have seen that:
On Mon May 15 2006 20:43, Andrew Brown wrote:

> An add-in to post to popular blog formats would be timely :-) There is a
> draft of such a thing, in Python, here -
> http://blogs.linux.ie/caolan/2005/10/06/ooo-blogger/

Please reply to [hidden email] only.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor