A question about charts.

Tim Peterson-2
Hello,
As an engineering student I'm often taking data from experiments. This data
is usually then manipulated in some way and is need of displaying in a
graphical format. The best option for this is using a scatter plot. More
often than not the X coordinates and the Y coordinates are columns in a
spreadsheet that may or may not have large seperations between them filled
with other data and may or may not be in the required X then Y format that
the chart seems to require. In other words, often I have the X values to the
right of the Y values and it seems the chart places whichever is on the left
as the X values regardless.
My question:
Is there a way to force the chart's X and Y value to a particular column
without requiring the X values to be the left most of the selected columns?
And if not, is there any way it can be implemented in a future release?
Thank you for any help that is provided.
Frustrated Engineering student,
~Tim

Re: A question about charts.

Randomthots
Tim Peterson wrote:

> Hello,
> As an engineering student I'm often taking data from experiments. This data
> is usually then manipulated in some way and is need of displaying in a
> graphical format. The best option for this is using a scatter plot. More
> often than not the X coordinates and the Y coordinates are columns in a
> spreadsheet that may or may not have large seperations between them filled
> with other data and may or may not be in the required X then Y format that
> the chart seems to require. In other words, often I have the X values to the
> right of the Y values and it seems the chart places whichever is on the left
> as the X values regardless.
> My question:
> Is there a way to force the chart's X and Y value to a particular column
> without requiring the X values to be the left most of the selected columns?
> And if not, is there any way it can be implemented in a future release?
> Thank you for any help that is provided.
> Frustrated Engineering student,
> ~Tim

Not at this time. As I understand it, there is work being done
on the charting component which may help with this problem. In the
meantime, why don't you just copy the data to another set of columns
outside the print area?

--

Rod

Re: A question about charts.

zoltan-7
No, not really.
In general, Charts is not quite at that level that you would call
usable for scientific or engineering work. When this issue was raised
for OOo1.x/SO6-7 a few years ago, the conclusion was that Charts needs
to be rewritten to accomodate the features that are needed for sci/eng
type work (arbitrarily located data sets, data points consisting of
multiple values, configurable gap treatment, just to name a few) but it
was not done for OOo2/SO8 (apparently).

You have two options:
- Use some other spreadsheet program
- Massage your spreadsheet and limit your needs to what Charts can do

Zoltan

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:43:20 -0600
Tim Peterson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
> As an engineering student I'm often taking data from experiments.
> This data is usually then manipulated in some way and is need of
> displaying in a graphical format. The best option for this is using a
> scatter plot. More often than not the X coordinates and the Y
> coordinates are columns in a spreadsheet that may or may not have
> large seperations between them filled with other data and may or may
> not be in the required X then Y format that the chart seems to
> require. In other words, often I have the X values to the right of
> the Y values and it seems the chart places whichever is on the left
> as the X values regardless. My question:
> Is there a way to force the chart's X and Y value to a particular
> column without requiring the X values to be the left most of the
> selected columns? And if not, is there any way it can be implemented
> in a future release? Thank you for any help that is provided.
> Frustrated Engineering student,
> ~Tim

Re: A question about charts.

CPHennessy
On Thu November 17 2005 01:43, + Tim Peterson wrote:

> Hello,
> As an engineering student I'm often taking data from experiments. This data
> is usually then manipulated in some way and is need of displaying in a
> graphical format. The best option for this is using a scatter plot. More
> often than not the X coordinates and the Y coordinates are columns in a
> spreadsheet that may or may not have large seperations between them filled
> with other data and may or may not be in the required X then Y format that
> the chart seems to require. In other words, often I have the X values to
> the right of the Y values and it seems the chart places whichever is on the
> left as the X values regardless.
> My question:
> Is there a way to force the chart's X and Y value to a particular column
> without requiring the X values to be the left most of the selected columns?
> And if not, is there any way it can be implemented in a future release?
> Thank you for any help that is provided.

Hi Tim,
 The charting component in OOo is being reworked and may be released by
2.0.2 (I hope). However I am not sure that the exact features you need will be
implemented.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ