ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Raphael Mudge
Hello,
I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After the
Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension using
Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.

You can download it at:

http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice

After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a trigram
language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to Microsoft
Word 2007/2010 on Windows.

Feedback welcome.

-- Raphael

Raphael Mudge
Code Wrangler, Automattic
http://www.automattic.com

P.S. My apologies if this was sent twice. I noticed I wasn't subscribed when
I sent the first message.

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Harold Fuchs-6
Raphael Mudge wrote:

> Hello,
> I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After the
> Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
> Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension using
> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
>
> You can download it at:
>
> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
>
> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a trigram
> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to Microsoft
> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.
>
> Feedback welcome.
>
> -- Raphael
>
> Raphael Mudge
> Code Wrangler, Automattic
> http://www.automattic.com
>
> P.S. My apologies if this was sent twice. I noticed I wasn't subscribed when
> I sent the first message.

You might want to tell [hidden email] and/or [hidden email]

I am sure some of the folk there will be happy to provide feedback.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

thomas.lange

Hell Raphael,

> Raphael Mudge wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After the
>> Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
>> Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension using
>> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
>>
>> You can download it at:
>>
>> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
>>
>> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a trigram
>> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to Microsoft
>> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.

Is it still in testing?
Otherwise, why not uploading it to the extension repository?

Thomas

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Raphael Mudge
Hi Thomas,
It's in the extension repository too. I put it up a few days ago:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/after-the-deadline

-- Raphael

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hell Raphael,
>
> > Raphael Mudge wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >> I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After
> the
> >> Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
> >> Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension
> using
> >> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
> >>
> >> You can download it at:
> >>
> >> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
> >>
> >> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a
> trigram
> >> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to
> Microsoft
> >> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.
> >>

> Is it still in testing?
> Otherwise, why not uploading it to the extension repository?
>
> Thomas

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Ruud Baars-2
For Dutch we are looking for an option to signal words which are in
itself correct, but are nonetheless probably wrong.

Adding Languagetool is a good option for OOo, but not for Mozilla (yet).

Which would be do so right now? Is there a LT (local) service plug-in
for Mozilla?
Or is ATD an option to achieve this feature?

Imho it would be best to enhance the applications api for multiple
colors and multiple signalling plug-ins and add a plugin much like AtD
or LT.

Any suggestions?

Ruud
(Dutch LT and spellchecking by OpenTaal)

Op 03-07-10 02:09, Raphael Mudge schreef:

> Hello,
> I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After the
> Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
> Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension usingthe best option to do so
> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
>
> You can download it at:
>
> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
>
> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a trigram
> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to Microsoft
> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.
>
> Feedback welcome.
>
> -- Raphael
>
> Raphael Mudge
> Code Wrangler, Automattic
> http://www.automattic.com
>
> P.S. My apologies if this was sent twice. I noticed I wasn't subscribed when
> I sent the first message.

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Raphael Mudge
Hi Ruud,

>> Which would be do so right now? Is there a LT (local) service plug-in for
Mozilla? Or is ATD an option to achieve this feature?

A lot of work has gone into making AtD available for Google Chrome and
Firefox. Any checker that speaks the AtD protocol could work with these
other applications by changing the service end-point in the code.

I wrote a blog post on this a few days ago:

http://blog.afterthedeadline.com/2010/07/01/lets-make-more-proofreaders-available-in-more-places/

>> For Dutch we are looking for an option to signal words which are in
itself correct, but are nonetheless probably wrong.

As for correcting real-word errors (words that are correct but probably used
wrong), AtD does this using a language model that is kept in memory. These
LMs get pretty big unfortunately. If the LM was small enough, AtD would be a
client-side application and not a client/server application like it is now.

-- Raphael

Raphael Mudge
Code Wrangler, Automattic

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Ruud Baars <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For Dutch we are looking for an option to signal words which are in itself
> correct, but are nonetheless probably wrong.
>
> Adding Languagetool is a good option for OOo, but not for Mozilla (yet).
>
> Which would be do so right now? Is there a LT (local) service plug-in for
> Mozilla?
> Or is ATD an option to achieve this feature?
>
> Imho it would be best to enhance the applications api for multiple colors
> and multiple signalling plug-ins and add a plugin much like AtD or LT.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ruud
> (Dutch LT and spellchecking by OpenTaal)
>

> Op 03-07-10 02:09, Raphael Mudge schreef:
>
>> Hello,
>> I develop an open source grammar checker (run as a service) called After
>> the
>> Deadline. It's used on WordPress.com and we have plugins for Firefox and
>> Google Chrome.  Recently, I put together an OpenOffice.org extension
>> usingthe best option to do so
>>
>> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
>>
>> You can download it at:
>>
>> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
>>
>> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a
>> trigram
>> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to
>> Microsoft
>> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.
>>
>> Feedback welcome.
>>
>> -- Raphael
>>
>> Raphael Mudge
>> Code Wrangler, Automattic
>> http://www.automattic.com
>>
>> P.S. My apologies if this was sent twice. I noticed I wasn't subscribed
>> when
>> I sent the first message.

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Ruud Baars-2
The list of 'probably wrong' words is rather short. Our ambition dos not
need the language model, just the words and a message; maye a hardcoded
number of replacement suggestions.

Being local is important however, since lots of companies don't offer
internet access directly.

Ruud

Op 05-07-10 23:59, Raphael Mudge schreef:

> [...]
>>> usingthe best option to do so
>>>
>>> Daniel and Marcin's LanguageTool OO.org extension as an example.
>>>
>>> You can download it at:
>>>
>>> http://www.afterthedeadline.com/download.slp?platform=OpenOffice
>>>
>>> After the Deadline checks English grammar and style. It also uses a
>>> trigram
>>> language model to provide a contextual spelling checker similar to
>>> Microsoft
>>> Word 2007/2010 on Windows.
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome.
>>>
>>> -- Raphael
>>>
>>> Raphael Mudge
>>> Code Wrangler, Automattic
>>> http://www.automattic.com
>>>
>>> P.S. My apologies if this was sent twice. I noticed I wasn't subscribed
>>> when
>>> I sent the first message.

Re: ANN: After the Deadline (Grammar Checker) Extension for OpenOffice.org

Daniel Naber-9
On Montag, 5. Juli 2010, Raphael Mudge wrote:

> A lot of work has gone into making AtD available for Google Chrome and
> Firefox. Any checker that speaks the AtD protocol could work with these
> other applications by changing the service end-point in the code.

Ist that needed for LanguageTool, too or could you just activate
LanguageTool support for more languages (as it is already used for two
languages)?

Regards
 Daniel

--