ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Daniel Naber-4
Hi,

I'd like to announce the first version of LanguageTool that comes with
support for OpenOffice.org. LanguageTool is a checker for English and
German that scans the text for style and grammar errors. Now it can be
installed as an add-on in OOo and can then be used like the spell checker
(but not with on-the-fly checking):

Screenshots:
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/screenshots.html

Download:
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

I'd appreciate feedback from this list before I announce this version to a
larger audience.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: LanguageTool 0.8

M. Luke Myers
Daniel,

I installed the LanguageTool with the instructions you provided on your
website, and although the OOo Package Manager gave an error message, the
menu appeared the next time I ran OpenOffice. However, when I ran the
script from the menu, nothing happened. The same error appeared after a
second attempt at an install. If you like, I can post the output to the
list or send it to you directly. The screen shots look promising though,
and I'm eager to test out the script.

"Now it can be installed as an add-on in OOo and can then be used like
the spell checker (but not with on-the-fly checking."

I thought it was you who said that on-the-fly grammar was not necessary,
and (if we want to be truthful about it) grammar checking should not be
needed except for catching minor mistakes. Maybe we'll get a "minor
grammar checker" soon; that would make it fast and lightweight, too. :-)

Cheers,
Luke

Re: Re: LanguageTool 0.8

Daniel Naber-4
On Sonntag 18 Dezember 2005 02:13, M. Luke Myers wrote:

> I installed the LanguageTool with the instructions you provided on your
> website, and although the OOo Package Manager gave an error message, the

Luke,

please send me these error messages by private mail. You do have Java 1.4
or later installed and it's known to OOo I assume? Are you on Windows or
Linux?

> I thought it was you who said that on-the-fly grammar was not necessary,

Actually I still consider it important, but it's nothing you can do without
changing OOo's code.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

nemeth-2
Quoting Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to announce the first version of LanguageTool that comes with
> support for OpenOffice.org. LanguageTool is a checker for English and
> German that scans the text for style and grammar errors. Now it can be
> installed as an add-on in OOo and can then be used like the spell checker
> (but not with on-the-fly checking):
>
> Screenshots:
> http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/screenshots.html
>
> Download:
> http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/
>
> I'd appreciate feedback from this list before I announce this version to a
> larger audience.

Hi Daniel,

Excellent work!

My screenshot: http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/languagetool.png

I have found some useful sources for the next release:

Common Errors in English:
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

The Eggcorn Database:
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

Best regards:

Laci

> Regards
>  Daniel
>
> --
> http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Daniel

> I'd like to announce the first version of LanguageTool that comes with
> support for OpenOffice.org. LanguageTool is a checker for English and
> German that scans the text for style and grammar errors. Now it can be
> installed as an add-on in OOo and can then be used like the spell checker
> (but not with on-the-fly checking):

It sounds very very interresting and the screenshots are promising :)
I'll have a look

Btw, if i undertsand correctly, you need an external tagger
Are your taggers still based on know tagged text ?

> I'd appreciate feedback from this list before I announce this version to a
> larger audience.

I'll try asap and see how Myriams work can be integrated (for french)
http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/myriam_lechelt

last point, why did you use Java :( Python is great and your first
approach was perfect for multiple use (not only dedicated to OOo)

Thanks again Daniel

Laurent

--
Laurent Godard <[hidden email]> - Ingénierie OpenOffice.org
Indesko >> http://www.indesko.com

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Daniel Naber-4
On Sonntag 18 Dezember 2005 17:45, Laurent Godard wrote:

Hi Laurent,

> Btw, if i undertsand correctly, you need an external tagger
> Are your taggers still based on know tagged text ?

The English and the German tagger work quite differently: the English one
is trained on a corpus (not by me, it's done by OpenNLP) and uses context
to decide which tag to assign to a word. The German tagger doesn't use
context but assigns all possible tags to a word.

For example, "das Haus" (the house) is a correct phrase because "das" is
neutrum/singular/nominativ, "Haus" is neutrum/singular/nominativ too. "des
Haus" is incorrect because "des" is neutrum/singular/genitiv. In other
words, you need at least one reading to match in gender, number, and case.
So you need a large list of words with all their morphological
information.

> last point, why did you use Java :( Python is great and your first
> approach was perfect for multiple use (not only dedicated to OOo)

But my first approach also quickly became un-maintainable even for myself.
Now the code has a better structure, more unit test coverage, can be build
with an ant script and is easy to work with in Eclipse. I really need
Java's type-safety and the power of Eclipse to work effectively.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Laurent Godard-3
Hi Daniel

> The English and the German tagger work quite differently: the English one
> is trained on a corpus (not by me, it's done by OpenNLP) and uses context
> to decide which tag to assign to a word.

It is the one Myriam tested and the conclusion was that the tagged
corpus for training is quite hard to obtain:(

  The German tagger doesn't use
> context but assigns all possible tags to a word.
>
> For example, "das Haus" (the house) is a correct phrase because "das" is
> neutrum/singular/nominativ, "Haus" is neutrum/singular/nominativ too. "des
> Haus" is incorrect because "des" is neutrum/singular/genitiv. In other
> words, you need at least one reading to match in gender, number, and case.
> So you need a large list of words with all their morphological
> information.

This is THE approach
That's really great and i think we have all the french material tools
i'll have a look

>>last point, why did you use Java :( Python is great and your first
>>approach was perfect for multiple use (not only dedicated to OOo)
>

> But my first approach also quickly became un-maintainable even for myself.
> Now the code has a better structure, more unit test coverage, can be build
> with an ant script and is easy to work with in Eclipse. I really need
> Java's type-safety and the power of Eclipse to work effectively.

Yes Eclipse seems to be great :)
I will have a look. But i really think that python is possible

Btw, regarding OOo API, is your UI written with UNO API or is it a pure
Java window ?

Laurent

On Sonntag 18 Dezember 2005 18:55, Laurent Godard wrote:

> Yes Eclipse seems to be great :)

Yes it is. Let me know if you have questions about Eclipse. It's very
robust and easy to use, but like any complex piece of software one needs
some time to get used to it.

> Btw, regarding OOo API, is your UI written with UNO API or is it a pure
> Java window ?

It's pure Java (using Swing). That's why it might look a bit different than
the other windows in OOo.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Дмитрий Габинский
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:30:29 +0100, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>
писал(а):

> I'd like to announce the first version of LanguageTool that comes
>with
> support for OpenOffice.org.

Good news. Unfortunately, it does not work (OOo 2.0.1 RC5 / Windows XP
/ JRE 1.5.0_05). I installed LangaugeTool via Package Manager, and no
mistake was produced. Then I restarted OOo and saw a new toolbar. Now,
if I click on the LT button, a Java window pops up with the header
saying “Starting Language Tool…”. And nothing happens. When I maximize
the window, I see only a dark bar shuttling between the left and right
sides of the window.

Do I miss something?

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

P.S. It would be nice to have a simplest how-to manual on creating
grammar check rules for other languages. For starters, for exmaple,
I'd like to have the ability of checking double words in other
languages.

---
Специальное предложение от синима-кафе "Дом"! Мы приглашаем Вас весело
встретить Новый Год. В программе Сергей Кравец, цыганский ансамбль и море
веселья. Наш адрес: Минск, ул.Красноармейская,3 (Центральный дом офицеров)
кафе "Дом", т.768-90-73, http://www.cafedomby; e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Daniel Naber-4
On Montag 19 Dezember 2005 13:07, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

Dmitri,

> Then I restarted OOo and saw a new toolbar. Now,
> if I click on the LT button, a Java window pops up with the header
> saying “Starting Language Tool…”. And nothing happens.

this means an exception was thrown. Please start Writer from the command
line and call Languagetool again and let me know what exactly appears on
the command line.

> P.S. It would be nice to have a simplest how-to manual on creating
> grammar check rules for other languages. For starters, for exmaple,
> I'd like to have the ability of checking double words in other
> languages.

Some documentation is available here:
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/docs.html

A rule that checks for word repetition needs to be coded in Java (but it
already exists, see
src/java/de/danielnaber/languagetool/rules/WordRepeatRule.java).

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Дмитрий Габинский
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 19:52:05 +0100, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>
писал(а):

> Please start Writer from the
>command
> line and call Languagetool again and let me know what exactly
>appears on
> the command line.

Unfortunately, there appears exactly nothing. After I input swriter,
OOo Writer starts, and simply an empty command line returns. The only
thing I can add, is that if I run LanguageTool on a language not
supported (Belarusian and Russian), LT does not hang, but produces
(logically) an error message:

“Error: Sorry, the document language 'xx' is not supported by
LanguageTool.

> A rule that checks for word repetition needs to be coded in Java
>(but it
> already exists, see
> src/java/de/danielnaber/languagetool/rules/WordRepeatRule.java).

Does it mean, that any new language is to be coded separately? It's no
fun: I thought, it'd be possible to simply add new directories with
XMLs. Anyway, do you use any IDE for development, such as NetBeans?
Any “how-to-compile”?

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

P.S. The information in
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/docs.html is VERY basic, I
don't know how to start with it.

---
Новогодние скидки в Автоцентре Mazda на ул. Лещинского, 4.
Звоните 218-99-01, 218-99-02.
http://www.mazda.by/models/mazda6_new/

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Laurent Godard-3
Hi

> “Error: Sorry, the document language 'xx' is not supported by LanguageTool.

I've tested and it semt to work with english
I had the same message for french, which is logic to me

>> A rule that checks for word repetition needs to be coded in Java (but
>> it already exists, see
>> src/java/de/danielnaber/languagetool/rules/WordRepeatRule.java).
>

> Does it mean, that any new language is to be coded separately? It's no
> fun: I thought, it'd be possible to simply add new directories with
> XMLs. Anyway, do you use any IDE for development, such as NetBeans? Any
> “how-to-compile”?

+1
if soemone helps me beginning, i may be able to help writing some parts
My gol is ti test the structure for french languge derivated from german
approach as it meets some conclusions of Myriam's work
http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/myriam_lechelt (French)

> P.S. The information in http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/docs.html
> is VERY basic, I don't know how to start with it.

Started to red also in the source package
Some more documentation in it i think
Btw, still searching how to buils the tagged words file
Moreover, seems that the tag names are frozen. Is it right ? can i had
some more ?

Thanks again Daniel

Laurent

On Dienstag 20 Dezember 2005 09:52, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

> Unfortunately, there appears exactly nothing. After I input swriter,
> OOo Writer starts, and simply an empty command line returns.

You mean your command line prompt returns, even though swriter is still
running? Does doesn't happen for me (on Linux). Are you testing on
Windows? The problem seems to be that the exception doesn't get displayed
but I don't know where it goes.

Could you please try the installation "Without OpenOffice.org" as described
here?:
http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

> Does it mean, that any new language is to be coded separately?

The word repetition rule works for many languages, so it won't need to be
coded twice.  Most others rules are language-dependent.

> P.S. The information in
> http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/docs.html is VERY basic, I
> don't know how to start with it.

Well, rules *are* basic, it should be possible to understand them with that
URL and looking at the rules file.

Regards
 Daniel

On Dienstag 20 Dezember 2005 10:09, Laurent Godard wrote:

> +1
> if soemone helps me beginning, i may be able to help writing some parts

The easiest thing is probably to check out LanguageTool from CVS in
Eclipse. The access data can be found here under "Anonymous CVS Access":
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=110216

You will then also need to download the LanguageTool ZIP because it
contains libraries that I didn't want to check in into CVS (too  big). You
need to copy the *.jar files (except the languagetool jars) to a "libs"
directory in <workspace>/JLanguageTool, where <workspace> is your Eclipse
workspace. Then refresh your project in Eclipse so it notices that files
have been changed outside of Eclipse. Then you need to go to the project's
properties and also set the path to the OOo libraries like unoi.jar etc.
("Java build path" -> "Libraries" tab).

Eclipse automatically compiles your stuff and you can start e.g. the "Main"
class without calling "ant" etc. If you've never before used Eclipse the
above process might be difficult, but I can answer your questions via
email.

> Some more documentation in it i think
> Btw, still searching how to buils the tagged words file
> Moreover, seems that the tag names are frozen. Is it right ? can i had
> some more ?

As English and German tagging works completely different there's no
standard way for part-of-speech tagging. You could create a class
FrenchTagger in package de.danielnaber.languagetool.tagging.fr, just
copying the files from tagging/de and modifying them appropriately.

The German tagging uses a Lucene index to look up the words from a word.
You can use Luke (http://www.getopt.org/luke/) to look at the German
part-of-speech index (the one in resource/de/categories/). The only reason
I use Lucene is that I'm very familiar with it. What's needed it just a
fast lookup, so Berkeley DB or anything could be used instead for French.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Дмитрий Габинский
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 19:50:40 +0100, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>
писал(а):

> You mean your command line prompt returns, even though swriter is
>still
> running?

Yes.
> Are you testing on
> Windows?

Yes, on Windows XP.

> Could you please try the installation "Without OpenOffice.org" as
>described
> here?:
> http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

Sure. I did both. As a standalone program, LanguageTool works fine —
it does check and does not throw anything into the command line.

> Well, rules *are* basic, it should be possible to understand them
>with that
> URL and looking at the rules file.

Yes, *rules*. But how can I add new languages? Is it enough to simply
create a /ru or /be subfolder in /rules? Or what?

Well, for starters, I'd like just to check word repetitions in Russian
and Belarusian (before I do anything complicated). What should I do to
enable it?

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

---
Новогодние скидки в Автоцентре Mazda на ул. Лещинского, 4.
Звоните 218-99-01, 218-99-02.
http://www.mazda.by/models/mazda6_new/

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Daniel Naber-4
On Montag 19 Dezember 2005 13:07, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

> Good news. Unfortunately, it does not work (OOo 2.0.1 RC5 / Windows XP
> / JRE 1.5.0_05). I installed LangaugeTool via Package Manager, and no
> mistake was produced. Then I restarted OOo and saw a new toolbar. Now,
> if I click on the LT button, a Java window pops up with the header
> saying “Starting Language Tool…”. And nothing happens.

I probably found the bug that caused this. Could you please try again with
version 0.8.1 from http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: ANN: LanguageTool 0.8 with OOo integration

Дмитрий Габинский
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 01:56:01 +0100, Daniel Naber <[hidden email]>
писал(а):

> I probably found the bug that caused this. Could you please try
>again with
> version 0.8.1 from http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/

Sorry, but I see little change. Only the popping window looks
different. But the behavior remains: if the language is English or
German, LanguageTool hangs (that window shows a bar with a kind of a
dark slider moving). If it's any other language, LT reports, it's not
supported.

Best regards,

Dmitri Gabinski

---
Новая система электронных магазинов ТУТ! http://shop.tut.by

On Mittwoch 21 Dezember 2005 08:30, Dmitri Gabinski wrote:

> Yes, *rules*. But how can I add new languages? Is it enough to simply
> create a /ru or /be subfolder in /rules? Or what?

I've extended http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/docs.html a bit (note
that it refers to the CVS version, not to 0.8.1), see "Adding support for
a new language".

> Well, for starters, I'd like just to check word repetitions in Russian
> and Belarusian (before I do anything complicated). What should I do to
> enable it?

First add the language as described above.Then got to WordRepeatRule.java
and add that language to the getLanguages() method. That should be it.

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de