[ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

12

[ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Carl Marcum
10 November 2020 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office
document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8,
now available in 41 languages on Windows, macOS and Linux.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 is a maintenance release aimed at correcting
some regressions and delivering the latest English dictionary. All users
of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 or earlier are advised to upgrade.

For the complete overview see the list in Bugzilla:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418changes

Full version of this announcement:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418announcement

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 Release Notes:
https://s.apache.org/AOO-418releasenotes

Download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 from the original source only:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Follow Apache OpenOffice:
Twitter https://twitter.com/apacheoo
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOO
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/openoffice

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Carl Marcum
Dear OpenOffice Community,

A great big Thank You to everyone  who has helped, tested, coded,
discussed or otherwise spent their precious time in making this release
possible !

We couldn't do this without you.

Please keep up the great work toward our next release!

Carl
(on behalf of the OpenOffice PMC)

On 11/10/20 6:33 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:

> 10 November 2020 - Apache OpenOffice, the leading Open Source office
> document productivity suite, announced today Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8,
> now available in 41 languages on Windows, macOS and Linux.
>
> Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 is a maintenance release aimed at correcting
> some regressions and delivering the latest English dictionary. All
> users of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 or earlier are advised to upgrade.
>
> For the complete overview see the list in Bugzilla:
> https://s.apache.org/AOO-418changes
>
> Full version of this announcement:
> https://s.apache.org/AOO-418announcement
>
> Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 Release Notes:
> https://s.apache.org/AOO-418releasenotes
>
> Download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 from the original source only:
> https://www.openoffice.org/download/
>
> Follow Apache OpenOffice:
> Twitter https://twitter.com/apacheoo
> Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ApacheOO
> YouTube https://www.youtube.com/openoffice

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Jörg Schmidt-2

I think it is absolutely obvious that version 4.1.8 is an update (and not an upgrade).
I don't understand why this is wrongly labeled in the announcement as well as in the release notes.

Jörg

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Marcus (OOo)
Also from my side a big thank you to all who are involved and have
helped to make this release possible. :-)

Marcus

Am 11.11.20 um 08:49 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]

a new release within the 4.1.x release branch cannot be big by
definition of the version schema. So, so using the word "upgrade" is not
wrong. This is my opinion.

And to be honest, I don't see a problem here. The difference of meaning
between "update" and "upgrade" is not really big.

Feel free to use the respective wording in the German version. :-)

Marcus

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Jörg Schmidt-2

Good release notes, as well as good documentation and much more are a necessary part of good software.
Why is it once again seemingly more important to reject criticism than to take it up and consider it for the future?

I'm sorry Marcus, it's just this climate in the community that has kept me from working more intensively for a long time.

> Feel free to use the respective wording in the German version. :-)

yes, I had already done that

Jörg

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Jim Jagielski
I posted a tweet from our official twitter account.

Fernando Cassia
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 12:00 Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I posted a tweet from our official twitter account.

Congrats for this release.
You might want to know that MSFT is back to its dirty tricks and prevents
the signed installer from running, courtesy of "Smartscreen" part of
"Microsoft Defender".

I've posted a tweet with screenshots....

https://twitter.com/fcassia/status/1326340013190221826?s=19

It's obvious that hiding the "run anyway" button behind a second click on
"more info" has the intent of people giving up, be scared, and not run it.

FC

Matthias Seidel
Hi,

Am 11.11.20 um 16:45 schrieb Fernando Cassia:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020, 12:00 Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I posted a tweet from our official twitter account.
>>
> Congrats for this release.
> You might want to know that MSFT is back to its dirty tricks and prevents
> the signed installer from running, courtesy of "Smartscreen" part of
> "Microsoft Defender".
>
> I've posted a tweet with screenshots....
>
> https://twitter.com/fcassia/status/1326340013190221826?s=19
>
> It's obvious that hiding the "run anyway" button behind a second click on
> "more info" has the intent of people giving up, be scared, and not run it.
That's not new with files downloaded from the Internet.
But somehow I did hope that the ASF certificate would silence
SmartScreen... ;-)

However, SmartScreen [1] is a cloud based service , the more people
download a file and open it the more "reputation" it gets.

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SmartScreen#Windows

> FC

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Pedro Lino-4
Hi Matthias, all

> On 11/11/2020 3:54 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's not new with files downloaded from the Internet.
> But somehow I did hope that the ASF certificate would silence
> SmartScreen... ;-)

It does. At least on the PC I managed to test this.
I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.

Currently the only options available are

    Auto-select
    SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)

You can't even choose the mirror manually!

> However, SmartScreen [1] is a cloud based service , the more people
> download a file and open it the more "reputation" it gets.

You forgot to mention: the more people download it successfully on Windows 10 (which is not so easy, with the obstacles mentioned) hopefully the more Good reputation it gets!

Regards,
Pedro

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Rory O'Farrell

Previous release took about 24 hours to propagate to all the servers worldwide.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Bidouille
Thanks all team for this job
Is it possible to update french homepage with this news?
https://fr.openoffice.org
https://www.cjoint.com/doc/20_11/JKlqGvF0dKY_Capture.PNG

Am 11.11.20 um 17:31 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

> Previous release took about 24 hours to propagate to all the servers worldwide.

the initial upload was on 05th / 06th November, so already far above of
24 hours. ;-)

Marcus

Am 11.11.20 um 17:32 schrieb Bidouille:
> Thanks all team for this job
> Is it possible to update french homepage with this news?
> https://fr.openoffice.org
> https://www.cjoint.com/doc/20_11/JKlqGvF0dKY_Capture.PNG

Just one minute... ;-)

Matthias

Am 11.11.20 um 17:26 schrieb Pedro Lino:

>> On 11/11/2020 3:54 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.
>
> Currently the only options available are
>
>      Auto-select
>      SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)
>
> You can't even choose the mirror manually!

wow, thats not good. Previously we had 12 (?) mirrors. So, the
availability was much, much better. Now it's a kind of lottery if you
get the download file.

Marcus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 11.11.20 um 17:37 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 11.11.20 um 17:26 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>> On 11/11/2020 3:54 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to
>> fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.
>>
>> Currently the only options available are
>>
>>      Auto-select
>>      SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)
>>
>> You can't even choose the mirror manually!
>
> wow, thats not good. Previously we had 12 (?) mirrors. So, the
> availability was much, much better. Now it's a kind of lottery if you
> get the download file.
I get only 1 mirror with every file I look at...

With 4.1.7 it scaled up to 28 mirrors for some files.

May be a matter of time?

Matthias

Am 11.11.20 um 14:48 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]

I don't understand why you see here a bad climate.

It's just that I (as a single person!) don't share your opinion. Not
more and not less.

I don't speak for all in the project. So, when we all agree that the
wording shuld be improved, we can of course change it for the next release.

Marcus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Marcus (OOo)

>>> I can't believe that after all the effort this release is going to
>>> fall short because Sourceforge doesn't have the servers.
>>>
>>> Currently the only options available are
>>>
>>>       Auto-select
>>>       SourceForge (San Diego, California, US)
>>>
>>> You can't even choose the mirror manually!
>>
>> wow, thats not good. Previously we had 12 (?) mirrors. So, the
>> availability was much, much better. Now it's a kind of lottery if you
>> get the download file.
>
> I get only 1 mirror with every file I look at...
>
> With 4.1.7 it scaled up to 28 mirrors for some files.
>
> May be a matter of time?

hm, then SF needs a longer time than for previous releases.

@Dave:
Can you help us here? What can we do to improve the situation?

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Pedro Lino-4
Hi Matthias, all

> On 11/11/2020 4:41 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> May be a matter of time?

Yes, let's hope so. But I expect that 6 days should be enough to synchronize more than one mirror.

Regarding Microsoft's bad will, I think this is a little too much

https://i.imgur.com/dTZVLcK.png

It's in Portuguese but the message should be understandable. Even if The ASF is recognized as the Publisher, it still warns you and asks if you want to execute the installer because the application is NOT recognized and could harm the user's system???

Do we have to pay Microsoft to put it in the Windows Store???

Regards,
Pedro

RE: [ANNOUNCE] Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 released

Jörg Schmidt-2

I spoke of a climate that I do not like. And I did this because I see that criticism for improvement is too often understood as negative.

> I don't speak for all in the project.

Have you read what you write?

at first:
"a new release within the 4.1.x release branch _cannot be big_ by definition of the version schema"

and to this I say: you are absolutely right

but then you write:
"_so_ using the word "upgrade" is not wrong."

and to this I say: if the change is small it would rather be an "update", because "upgrade" generally applies to larger changes

Jörg

12