AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

123

AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Larry Gusaas-4
Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle,
General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a
document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.

MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

FR web forum

>Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle,
>General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a
>document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.

>MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
>macOS 10.13 High Sierra
>AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857

Did you reset your user profile?

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Larry Gusaas-4

On 2017-10-15, 2:20 AM FR web forum wrote:
>> Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle,
>> General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a
>> document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.
>> MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
>> macOS 10.13 High Sierra
>> AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857
> Did you reset your user profile?

I had hacked the bootstraprc file to use a separate, but previously used profile that I have
for pre-release versions of AOO. Also tested with my production profile. Both gave error
message. Both had worked with previous release versions.

I just hacked the bootstraprc file again to use a totally new profile. A new writer document
opens without an error message.
An older document opens with the error message, then opens after clicking OK button. Tested
with several existing documents.
Existing spreadsheets open okay. Hadn't tested them before since I only use AOO to open
spreadsheets someone sends me.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Jim Jagielski
Did this occur w/ any of the other 4.1.4 RCs?

> On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle, General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.
>
> MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
> macOS 10.13 High Sierra
> AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857
>

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2017-10-15, 7:13 AM Jim Jagielski wrote

> Did this occur w/ any of the other 4.1.4 RCs?

No.

>> On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle, General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.
>>
>> MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
>> macOS 10.13 High Sierra
>> AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:58:09 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-10-15, 7:13 AM Jim Jagielski wrote
>
> > Did this occur w/ any of the other 4.1.4 RCs?
>
> No.

Larry

Can you run openoffice4 from a terminal and report the messages?

Rory

> >> On Oct 14, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Every time I try to open a document with AOO 4.1.4 I get an error message (X on red circle, General Error). When I click on the OK button the document opens. Happens every time I open a document or a new document. Does not occur with AOO 4.1.3.
> >>
> >> MacBook Pro 13" late 2013
> >> macOS 10.13 High Sierra
> >> AOO414m5(Build:9788)  -  Rev. 1811857
> >>

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2017-10-15, 1:01 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:58:09 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-15, 7:13 AM Jim Jagielski wrote
>>
>>> Did this occur w/ any of the other 4.1.4 RCs?
>> No.
>
> Larry
>
> Can you run openoffice4 from a terminal and report the messages?

I don't know terminal very well and do not know how to do that. I can follow instruction for
using terminal if you have the time to give them to me.

I am going to install AOO 4.1.4 RC on my other Mac later today. It is still running Sierra.
Previous release candidates were only used before I upgraded this machine to High Sierra.

On 2017-10-15, 1:01 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:58:09 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-15, 7:13 AM Jim Jagielski wrote
>>
>>> Did this occur w/ any of the other 4.1.4 RCs?
>> No.
>
> Larry
>
> Can you run openoffice4 from a terminal and report the messages?
>
> Rory

    I don't know terminal very well and do not know how to do that. I can follow instruction
    for using terminal if you have the time to give them to me.

    I am going to install AOO 4.1.4 RC on my other Mac later today. It is still running Sierra.
    Previous release candidates were only used before I upgraded this machine to High Sierra.

Just installed AOO 4.1.4 RC on my 2015 15" MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra. Same results as on
my older MacBook.

With existing user profile get error message when opening a new or existing writer document.
Document opens after clicking OK in the error message.

With a new user profile opening a new document works okay. Opening an existing writer document
gets the error message.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:27:15 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-10-15, 1:01 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 12:58:09 -0600
> > Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2017-10-15, 7:13 AM Jim Jagielski wrote

> >> No.
> >
> > Larry
> >
> > Can you run openoffice4 from a terminal and report the messages?
> >
> > Rory
>
>     I don't know terminal very well and do not know how to do that. I can follow instruction
>     for using terminal if you have the time to give them to me.

I can't answer with any certainty for Mac, but my understanding, based on something I paid little attention to (no need), is that the current Mac operating system is a form of linux.

I've just searched and see that on a Mac Terminal is in Utilities folder in Applications.  Open it and type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  OO should then open and run and give some possibly helpful diagnostics about what it is not finding, or what has happened.  These will be helpful to developers debugging.

Some info on Terminal for a Mac is at
http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/

Rory

On 2017-10-15, 3:38 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote

> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:27:15 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-15, 1:01 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>>
>>> Larry
>>>
>>> Can you run openoffice4 from a terminal and report the messages?
>>>
>>> Rory
>>      I don't know terminal very well and do not know how to do that. I can follow instruction
>>      for using terminal if you have the time to give them to me.
>
> I can't answer with any certainty for Mac, but my understanding, based on something I paid little attention to (no need), is that the current Mac operating system is a form of linux.

macOS is derived from Unix. Many, not all commands are similar to Linux

> Open it and type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  OO should then open and run and give some possibly helpful diagnostics about what it is not finding, or what has happened.  These will be helpful to developers debugging.

Doesn't work. Needs more specific  command. I will investigate later and try to get more
information. Problem occurs on both my Macs so isn't specific to macOS High Sierra, which i
upgraded this Mac to recently.

> Some info on Terminal for a Mac is at
> http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/

Thanks
Larry

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:45:20 -0600
Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-10-15, 3:38 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote
>
> > On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 15:27:15 -0600
> > Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >>      I don't know terminal very well and do not know how to do that. I can follow instruction
> >>      for using terminal if you have the time to give them to me.
> >
> > I can't answer with any certainty for Mac, but my understanding, based on something I paid little attention to (no need), is that the current Mac operating system is a form of linux.
>
> macOS is derived from Unix. Many, not all commands are similar to Linux
>
> > Open it and type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  OO should then open and run and give some possibly helpful diagnostics about what it is not finding, or what has happened.  These will be helpful to developers debugging.
>
> Doesn't work. Needs more specific  command. I will investigate later and try to get more
> information. Problem occurs on both my Macs so isn't specific to macOS High Sierra, which i
> upgraded this Mac to recently.

I cannot help further - no experience on Macs.  Perhaps some Mac-using list member can assist.

Rory

> > Some info on Terminal for a Mac is at
> > http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/
>
> Thanks
> Larry
>

> --
> _________________________________
>
> Larry I. Gusaas
> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

mabdul

>>> Open it and type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  OO should then open and run and give some possibly helpful diagnostics about what it is not finding, or what has happened.  These will be helpful to developers debugging.
>>
>> Doesn't work. Needs more specific  command. I will investigate later and try to get more
>> information. Problem occurs on both my Macs so isn't specific to macOS High Sierra, which i
>> upgraded this Mac to recently. 1) open terminal
2) navigate with cd to
/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS

3.) open soffice with
./soffice

try to reproduce the error and check what is written to the terminal

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Jim Jagielski
Assuming AOO is installed in /Applications:

    /Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice

should do it.

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 6:59 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:45:20 -0600
> Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-15, 3:38 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote

>>> I can't answer with any certainty for Mac, but my understanding, based on something I paid little attention to (no need), is that the current Mac operating system is a form of linux.
>>
>> macOS is derived from Unix. Many, not all commands are similar to Linux
>>
>>> Open it and type "openoffice4" (no quotes).  OO should then open and run and give some possibly helpful diagnostics about what it is not finding, or what has happened.  These will be helpful to developers debugging.
>>
>> Doesn't work. Needs more specific  command. I will investigate later and try to get more
>> information. Problem occurs on both my Macs so isn't specific to macOS High Sierra, which i
>> upgraded this Mac to recently.
>
> I cannot help further - no experience on Macs.  Perhaps some Mac-using list member can assist.
>
> Rory
>

>>> Some info on Terminal for a Mac is at
>>> http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/how-use-terminal-on-mac-3608274/
>>
>> Thanks
>> Larry
>>

>> --
>> _________________________________
>>
>> Larry I. Gusaas
>> Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
>> Website: http://larry-gusaas.com
>> "An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." - Edgard Varese

> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

macOS 10.13 High Sierra AOO testers

Jim Jagielski
Anyone onlist using High Sierra and able to test AOO
4.1.4-RC5?

Re: macOS 10.13 High Sierra AOO testers

Louis Suárez-Potts-5
I've been playing with LibreOffice on a dev version of High Sierra
(10.13.1)  with no ill effects, but that was a short while ago. I can
try it with AOO, but is there anything in particular I should look
for? I use office suites sparingly and lightly but am game to try out
a suite of tests.

Note: other apps that do more or less the same thing have not given me
surprises, at least now. Earlier… different story.

Louis

On 16 October 2017 at 08:18, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone onlist using High Sierra and able to test AOO
> 4.1.4-RC5?

Re: macOS 10.13 High Sierra AOO testers

Jim Jagielski
Just that AOO-4.1.4-RC5 actually opens and works :)

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Louis Suárez-Potts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been playing with LibreOffice on a dev version of High Sierra
> (10.13.1)  with no ill effects, but that was a short while ago. I can
> try it with AOO, but is there anything in particular I should look
> for? I use office suites sparingly and lightly but am game to try out
> a suite of tests.
>
> Note: other apps that do more or less the same thing have not given me
> surprises, at least now. Earlier… different story.
>
> Louis
>
> On 16 October 2017 at 08:18, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Anyone onlist using High Sierra and able to test AOO
>> 4.1.4-RC5?

Re: macOS 10.13 High Sierra AOO testers

Louis Suárez-Potts-5
Jim, et al.,
So, where are the macOS builds of RC5? FWIW, finding these using the
website's obvious (to me) routes is … fruitless. Finding them using my
old bookmarks also bootless.

Louis

On 16 October 2017 at 08:18, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone onlist using High Sierra and able to test AOO
> 4.1.4-RC5?

Re: macOS 10.13 High Sierra AOO testers

Louis Suárez-Potts-5
Nevermind. I think I found them:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.4-RC5/binaries/
Louis

On 16 October 2017 at 08:18, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone onlist using High Sierra and able to test AOO
> 4.1.4-RC5?

Re: AOO 4.1.4 – Error message

Dave Fisher
Hi Jim,

I am on macOS Sierra and do not see the issues in RC4.

With RC4 -

(1) I get the little general error dialog.
(2) I don’t see any terminal output after starting from Terminal.
(3) While the error is up the lock file .~lock.<filename># has been created with a length of 129

David Fisher,davewave,Daves-MacBook-Pro.local,16.10.2017 10:35,file:///Users/davewave/Library/Application%20Support/OpenOffice/4;

(4) I also get the error if I start like so:

/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice -view ODF-Test.odt

The window is open but the background is grey when the error is displayed.

There is nothing obvious in a diff between RC4 and RC5 on the Mac. There are differences for versions and a large number of the dylib, zip and jars do differ.

Regards,
Dave

On 2017-10-15, 3:38 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote

On Oct 16, 2017, at 11:09 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jim,

I am on macOS Sierra and do not see the issues in RC4.

With RC4 -

Sorry a typo - with RC5 I see:

On 2017-10-15, 3:38 PM Rory O'Farrell wrote