AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

in AOO Draw:

ENGLISH version:
  Tools > Options > OpenOffice Draw > Grid
  section: "Snap position", label after 1st checkbox i.e. "When creating or
moving objects"

POLISH version: Narzędzia > Opcje > OpenOffice Draw > Siatka
  section: "Pozycja przyciągania", label after 1st checkbox:
  "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów".

Part of word "*obiektów"* is lost.

I have tested few variations of original text and come up with one that is
both shorter and similar in meaning.

It would read: *"Przy przeciąganiu lub przenoszeniu obiektów"*

I'd like someone with good command of Polish to express opinion on my
proposal
before I do any change at Pootle.

The other solution is - of course - to change layout of dialog
(like Bugzilla Issue 128283 - Issue with layout of dialog "Solver"). Thanks
for it by the way.

Re: AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

Maciej Jaros-2
Czesław Wolański (2020-02-16 21:54):

> Hi,
>
> in AOO Draw:
>
> ENGLISH version:
>    Tools > Options > OpenOffice Draw > Grid
>    section: "Snap position", label after 1st checkbox i.e.
> "When creating or moving objects"
>

> POLISH version: Narzędzia > Opcje > OpenOffice Draw > Siatka
>    section: "Pozycja przyciągania", label after 1st checkbox:
>    "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów".
>
> Part of word "*obiektów"* is lost.
>
> I have tested few variations of original text and come up with one that is
> both shorter and similar in meaning.
>
> It would read: *"Przy przeciąganiu lub przenoszeniu obiektów"*
>
> I'd like someone with good command of Polish to express opinion on my
> proposal
> before I do any change at Pootle.

It seems like both versions have the same number of characters... So
¯\_(ツ)_/¯... Exact length depends on the font used, but maybe figure out
a shorter version.

BTW. You can add comments in the Pootle. If you change something because
it doesn't fit you should probably add a comment.

Note that there is also an option to suggest a translation. I review
such suggestions from time to time. So if you want someone to review
your translations add them as a suggestion.

Thanks and cheers / dzięki i pozdrowienia,
Maciej Nux Jaros.

Re: AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

Matthias Seidel

Am 16.02.20 um 21:54 schrieb Czesław Wolański:

> Hi,
>
> in AOO Draw:
>
> ENGLISH version:
>   Tools > Options > OpenOffice Draw > Grid
>   section: "Snap position", label after 1st checkbox i.e. "When creating or
> moving objects"
>

> POLISH version: Narzędzia > Opcje > OpenOffice Draw > Siatka
>   section: "Pozycja przyciągania", label after 1st checkbox:
>   "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów".
>
> Part of word "*obiektów"* is lost.
That one was even too narrow for German, so "objects" was left out. ;-)

It just reads: "Beim Erzeugen und Bewegen"

> I have tested few variations of original text and come up with one that is
> both shorter and similar in meaning.
>
> It would read: *"Przy przeciąganiu lub przenoszeniu obiektów"*

Not really sure if that would fit...
Just try it and we will see in one of my next test builds.

I think we should shorten the English text at some point...

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

Czesław Wolański
Hi,
sorry for replying late;

That one was even too narrow for German, so "objects" was left out. ;-)

It just reads: "Beim Erzeugen und Bewegen"

Same trick - or  like you once said  - dirty hack - employ French  and
Russian in their UI, welcome aboard!

I prepared dialog under Basic IDE, default system font Segoi UI. All
looked good.

*SORRY i just realized that I've made dumb mistake (Copy-Paste approach).*

original is: "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów"  -  43 characters
new version is *"Przy tworzeniu lub przenoszeniu obiektów" * - 40 characters

It is definitely shorter and should work.

That  remark of  Mr. Maciej Nux Jaros.

 both versions have the same number of characters

cleary proves he is a programmer by vocation.

Wielkie dzięki (a kapelusze jeszcze niżej....).

Regards for both of you

Czeslaw  Wolański

Am 16.02.20 um 23:01 schrieb Czesław Wolański:
> Hi,
> sorry for replying late;
>
> That one was even too narrow for German, so "objects" was left out. ;-)
>
> It just reads: "Beim Erzeugen und Bewegen"
>
> Same trick - or  like you once said  - dirty hack - employ French  and
> Russian in their UI, welcome aboard!

That's why I thought of shortening the original.
There are certainly more languages having problem with that given space.

> I prepared dialog under Basic IDE, default system font Segoi UI. All
> looked good.
>
> *SORRY i just realized that I've made dumb mistake (Copy-Paste approach).*
>
> original is: "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów"  -  43 characters
> new version is *"Przy tworzeniu lub przenoszeniu obiektów" * - 40 characters
>
> It is definitely shorter and should work.

Just give it a try. We can always change it back. Translation is a
permanent "Work-In-Progress". ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> That  remark of  Mr. Maciej Nux Jaros.
>
>  both versions have the same number of characters
>
> cleary proves he is a programmer by vocation.
>
> Wielkie dzięki (a kapelusze jeszcze niżej....).
>

> Regards for both of you
>
> Czeslaw  Wolański
>

> Le dim. 16 févr. 2020 à 22:25, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>
> a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 16.02.20 um 21:54 schrieb Czesław Wolański:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in AOO Draw:
>>>
>>> ENGLISH version:
>>>   Tools > Options > OpenOffice Draw > Grid
>>>   section: "Snap position", label after 1st checkbox i.e. "When creating
>> or
>>> moving objects"
>>>

>>> POLISH version: Narzędzia > Opcje > OpenOffice Draw > Siatka
>>>   section: "Pozycja przyciągania", label after 1st checkbox:
>>>   "Podczas tworzenia lub przenoszenia obiektów".
>>>
>>> Part of word "*obiektów"* is lost.
>> That one was even too narrow for German, so "objects" was left out. ;-)
>>
>> It just reads: "Beim Erzeugen und Bewegen"
>>
>>> I have tested few variations of original text and come up with one that
>> is
>>> both shorter and similar in meaning.
>>>
>>> It would read: *"Przy przeciąganiu lub przenoszeniu obiektów"*
>> Not really sure if that would fit...
>> Just try it and we will see in one of my next test builds.
>>
>> I think we should shorten the English text at some point...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> I'd like someone with good command of Polish to express opinion on my
>>> proposal
>>> before I do any change at Pootle.
>>>
>>> The other solution is - of course - to change layout of dialog
>>> (like Bugzilla Issue 128283 - Issue with layout of dialog "Solver").
>> Thanks
>>> for it by the way.
>>>

>>> Regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: AOO Draw (Polish) - part of label not visible in dialog

Czesław Wolański
Use the search, Luke! ;-)

You mean that Luke from the Bible (Luke 6:31) or guy called Skywalker? ;-)

Skywalker... ;-)

And to conclude another AOO-driven day and after 2 packets of cigaretts
plus litres of coffee  I dare to say:

We have three Lukes: that from Bible, Skywalker and ... Lucky Luke - Lucky
Holy Trinity.

And "Use the search" works also as "Search the use"

Regards,

Czesław Wolański