AOO.Next IBM Priorities

12

AOO.Next IBM Priorities

robert_weir
A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".

We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.

Our top priorities:

-- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
for just a minor update.

-- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.

-- Improved Table of Contents in Writer

-- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
adoption of "gestures".

-- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.

-- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
experience.

-- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
and relevant.

-- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
as generic Share... actions.

-- And many other smaller items

Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
warrant a "4.0" designation.

In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
designing and implementing these features.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

jan iversen
Thanks for the note, however knowing IBM I had hoped that one of the
official goals was to help the development part of the community to get
stabilized.

I acknowledge that it is important for IBM to get an output of invested
energy/time/money, but I think IBM would benefit not only from features but
also from the soft points of helping the community.

that being said in response to your IBM HAT, but I do feel that you and
other IBM Fellows still do a great job in getting  the community to prosper.

Jan.

On 1 November 2012 17:45, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
>
> Our top priorities:
>
> -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
> digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> for just a minor update.
>
> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>
> -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>
> -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> adoption of "gestures".
>
> -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
>
> -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> experience.
>
> -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> and relevant.
>
> -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> as generic Share... actions.
>
> -- And many other smaller items
>
> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>
> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
> designing and implementing these features.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Jürgen Schmidt-3
On 11/1/12 9:53 PM, jan iversen wrote:

> Thanks for the note, however knowing IBM I had hoped that one of the
> official goals was to help the development part of the community to get
> stabilized.
>
> I acknowledge that it is important for IBM to get an output of invested
> energy/time/money, but I think IBM would benefit not only from features but
> also from the soft points of helping the community.
>
> that being said in response to your IBM HAT, but I do feel that you and
> other IBM Fellows still do a great job in getting  the community to prosper.

I hope so and the priorities were focused on the product only and not on
the community aspects that are of course very important for us as well.

Juergen

> [...]
>> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
>> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
>> as generic Share... actions.
>>
>> -- And many other smaller items
>>
>> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
>> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
>> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
>> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
>> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>>
>> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
>> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
>> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
>> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
>> designing and implementing these features.

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Alexandro Colorado-4
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the note, however knowing IBM I had hoped that one of the
> official goals was to help the development part of the community to get
> stabilized.

This is what their costumers asked for, not IBM itself. Costumers dont care
about development, most of the time. They think everyting is created with
Pixeldust.

> I acknowledge that it is important for IBM to get an output of invested
> energy/time/money, but I think IBM would benefit not only from features but
> also from the soft points of helping the community.

I was a bit disapointed they didnt asked for some more 'enterprise-ready'
features like integration with ERP systems, tivoli, and credential
management of profiles, improve Base and add bridge to DB2 or something in
those veins.

> that being said in response to your IBM HAT, but I do feel that you and
> other IBM Fellows still do a great job in getting  the community to
> prosper.
>
> Jan.
>
> On 1 November 2012 17:45, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
> >
> > We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> > teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> > AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> > interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> > want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> > employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> > focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> > details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> > ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
> >
> > Our top priorities:
> >
> > -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by
> supporting
> > digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> > feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> > for just a minor update.
> >
> > -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> > over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> > quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> > panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> > compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> > especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.

I like what KOffice did with the management of tiles and panes, and I think
is a great UI study case. There were some of these ideas embedded in the UX
project. Personally I used to admire the UI from Macromedia projects which
had a nice use of toolbars, floating panes, and could add a series of
options in a clean icon-based intereface.

> > -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
> >
> > -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> > adoption of "gestures".

Is this like for tablets? Not sure what gestures means, Opear has some
gestures which are mouse keys combinations.

> > -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> > accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
> >
> > -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> > experience.

I think there was always objections to bloat the office suite with too much
graphic intensive templates. Not sure if that opposition will be gone now.
Impress does need a major facelift with animations and transitions. GSOC
had integration bridge to OpenClipArt to import the clipart from the
website, this functionality is also present on Inkscape.

> > -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> > and relevant.

Funny enough, stale is the new fresh, taken from logos of Chrome and
Windows, is more an art-deco style.

> > -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> > thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> > Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> > as generic Share... actions.

eww I hate this and dont really understand why companies want to "share" a
document.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Rob Weir
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 4:53 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the note, however knowing IBM I had hoped that one of the
> official goals was to help the development part of the community to get
> stabilized.

This was specifically product goals for the next release, as the
subject title suggests.

Community development are ongoing, not tied to any particular release.
 And not tied to any one company, either.

It be worth if we (the AOO project) set our own community development
goals and worked toward  them?  Priorities and goals are a good thing,
I think.  They keep us focused, help us avoid distractions.  Well,
good goals, at least...

-Rob

> [...]
>> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
>> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
>> as generic Share... actions.
>>
>> -- And many other smaller items
>>
>> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
>> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
>> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
>> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
>> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>>
>> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
>> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
>> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
>> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
>> designing and implementing these features.

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Rob Weir
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM, jan iversen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the note, however knowing IBM I had hoped that one of the
>> official goals was to help the development part of the community to get
>> stabilized.
>>

> This is what their costumers asked for, not IBM itself. Costumers dont care
> about development, most of the time. They think everyting is created with
> Pixeldust.
>

>> I acknowledge that it is important for IBM to get an output of invested
>> energy/time/money, but I think IBM would benefit not only from features but
>> also from the soft points of helping the community.
>>

> I was a bit disapointed they didnt asked for some more 'enterprise-ready'
> features like integration with ERP systems, tivoli, and credential
> management of profiles, improve Base and add bridge to DB2 or something in
> those veins.

Some of these are being done, but as extensions.  And in some cases
they depend on proprietary code, so they lead to proprietary
extensions.  Personally, I'd recommend bring features like this into
the core only if they can be done in some open fashion, e.g.,
standards based or at least an open driver-based or other extensible
model which is open to all vendors.

>> that being said in response to your IBM HAT, but I do feel that you and
>> other IBM Fellows still do a great job in getting  the community to
>> prosper.
>>
>> Jan.
>>
>> On 1 November 2012 17:45, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>> >
>> > We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
>> > teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
>> > AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
>> > interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
>> > want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
>> > employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
>> > focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
>> > details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
>> > ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
>> >
>> > Our top priorities:
>> >
>> > -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by
>> supporting
>> > digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
>> > feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
>> > for just a minor update.
>> >
>> > -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
>> > over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
>> > quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
>> > panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
>> > compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
>> > especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>>

> I like what KOffice did with the management of tiles and panes, and I think
> is a great UI study case. There were some of these ideas embedded in the UX
> project. Personally I used to admire the UI from Macromedia projects which
> had a nice use of toolbars, floating panes, and could add a series of
> options in a clean icon-based intereface.
>

>> > -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>> >
>> > -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
>> > adoption of "gestures".
>>

> Is this like for tablets? Not sure what gestures means, Opear has some
> gestures which are mouse keys combinations.

For example, MacOS "multi-touch" gestures.  See:
http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/gestures.html

>> > -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
>> > accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
>> >
>> > -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
>> > experience.
>>

> I think there was always objections to bloat the office suite with too much
> graphic intensive templates. Not sure if that opposition will be gone now.
> Impress does need a major facelift with animations and transitions. GSOC
> had integration bridge to OpenClipArt to import the clipart from the
> website, this functionality is also present on Inkscape.

I think better integration with external repositories is key.  Look at
what MS Office 2013 does.

>> > -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
>> > and relevant.
>>

> Funny enough, stale is the new fresh, taken from logos of Chrome and
> Windows, is more an art-deco style.

Maybe if we wait long enough what we have now will come back in fashion? ;-)

>> > -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
>> > thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
>> > Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
>> > as generic Share... actions.
>>

> eww I hate this and dont really understand why companies want to "share" a
> document.

Why do we share a news clipping or a status update or anything else?
If you can grab content from a webpage and share it, why not from a
document?  Even Kindle is seeing this, with ability to select content
from an eBook and share it via Twitter and FB.

-Rob

>> > -- And many other smaller items
>> >
>> > Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
>> > releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
>> > could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
>> > time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
>> > warrant a "4.0" designation.
>> >
>> > In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
>> > As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
>> > that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
>> > of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
>> > designing and implementing these features.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > -Rob
>> >

> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> http://es.openoffice.org

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Kay Schenk-2

On 11/01/2012 09:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.

Thanks for sharing this, and could you re-post the (IBM) wiki link. It's
been a while since we looked at anything related to this, and I didn't
save it.

Thanks.

> Our top priorities:
>
> -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
> digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> for just a minor update.
>
> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>
> -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>
> -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> adoption of "gestures".
>
> -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
>
> -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> experience.
>
> -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> and relevant.
>
> -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> as generic Share... actions.
>
> -- And many other smaller items
>
> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>
> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
> designing and implementing these features.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

MzK

  dealt with a cat."
                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Peter Junge-3
Great! Thanks for sharing.

Peter

On 11/2/2012 12:45 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
>
> Our top priorities:
>
> -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
> digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> for just a minor update.
>
> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>
> -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>
> -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> adoption of "gestures".
>
> -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
>
> -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> experience.
>
> -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> and relevant.
>
> -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> as generic Share... actions.
>
> -- And many other smaller items
>
> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>
> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
> designing and implementing these features.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Jörg Schmidt-2

> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.

I hope I understand correctly that you mean the right side in the picture
http://www.file-extensions.org/imgs/app-picture/4561/ibm-lotus-symphony.gif (OK,
this picture is symphony but the same in AOO). In the picture namend "Text and
CellProperties".

In this case, my question is:

Is there already a compiled test version for Windows?

(I do not necessarily mean a formal trial rather a snapshot, my personal problem
is only that I could not compile and therefore need a compiled version.)

Greetings,
Jorg

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Lei Wang-2
No, this is property panel in the sidebar, not the sidebar framework.

The sidebar framework looks like:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Docked_Task_Pane_Container_-_Tab_User_Interface_Design

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Jorg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> > over from Symphony, and including an API.
>

> I hope I understand correctly that you mean the right side in the picture
> http://www.file-extensions.org/imgs/app-picture/4561/ibm-lotus-symphony.gif(OK,
> this picture is symphony but the same in AOO). In the picture namend "Text
> and
> CellProperties".
>
> In this case, my question is:
>
> Is there already a compiled test version for Windows?
>
> (I do not necessarily mean a formal trial rather a snapshot, my personal
> problem
> is only that I could not compile and therefore need a compiled version.)
>

> Greetings,
> Jorg

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Graham Lauder-4
If I didn't know better I'd swear you had been spying on my wishlist. If
IBM brought nothing else to the project it's customer focus is hugely
valuable.  Many thanks Rob, one marketing guy very happy.
On 2/11/2012 8:52 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
>
> Our top priorities:
>
> -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
> digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> for just a minor update.
>
> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>
> -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>
> -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> adoption of "gestures".
>
> -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.
>
> -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> experience.
>
> -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> and relevant.
>
> -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> as generic Share... actions.
>
> -- And many other smaller items
>
> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>
> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
> designing and implementing these features.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Kevin Grignon
KG01 - see comment inline

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Rob Weir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > website, this functionality is also present on Inkscape.
> >

> I think better integration with external repositories is key.  Look at
> what MS Office 2013 does.

> fresh
> >>

> > Funny enough, stale is the new fresh, taken from logos of Chrome and
> > Windows, is more an art-deco style.
> >

> Maybe if we wait long enough what we have now will come back in fashion?
> ;-)

> their
> well
> >>

> > eww I hate this and dont really understand why companies want to "share"
> > document.
> >

> Why do we share a news clipping or a status update or anything else?
> If you can grab content from a webpage and share it, why not from a
> document?  Even Kindle is seeing this, with ability to select content
> from an eBook and share it via Twitter and FB.

KG01 - Ya, this is important. If we assume the goal of our tools is to help
people capture, organize and share their thought and ideas, then social
integration is a basic expectation.

> -Rob

> and
> work

> items.
> one

KG01 - I have set up a UX Opportunity backlog to capture candidates for
further exploration. Once explored, items from the backlog can make their
way into plan.

KG01 - Everyone is encouraged to visit the backlog and capture their
thoughts and ideas on design direction. No wrong answers, just a great
starting point.

> > --
> > Alexandro Colorado
> > PPMC Apache OpenOffice
> > http://es.openoffice.org

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Andre Fischer
On 01.11.2012 17:45, [hidden email] wrote:

> A quick note, wearing my "IBM hat".
>
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are, for our
> employees participating in the AOO community, and what they will be
> focusing on.   As we did with AOO 3.4.0 and 3.4.1, we'll be putting the
> details onto the wiki over the next couple of weeks.  You'll hear more at
> ApacheCon, but I wanted you to hear it hear first.
>
> Our top priorities:
>
> -- Improve the install and deployment experience, especially by supporting
> digital signatures on installs, and introducing a new incremental update
> feature, so users are not required to download and install a full image
> for just a minor update.
>
> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
> over from Symphony, and including an API.  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.
>
> -- Improved Table of Contents in Writer
>
> -- Improved system integration on Windows and MacOS, including possible
> adoption of "gestures".
>
> -- IAccessible2 bridge, ported over from Symphony, to improve
> accessibility.  This is a major effort, but very important.

I will be talking about IAccessible2 as stand in for Steve Yin at the
ApacheCon.
Please meet me there at 11:45am on Nov 6 (Level 1 Left).

-Andre

> -- Closer integration of clipart and template libraries with user
> experience.
>
> -- Update branding and visual styling, contemporary and compelling, fresh
> and relevant.
>
> -- Social integration, allow our users to quickly and easily share their
> thoughts in a way that compliment their commercial social behavior.
> Explore the integration of consumer service-specific capabilities as well
> as generic Share... actions.
>
> -- And many other smaller items
>
> Obviously the release date for this cannot be pinned down so early, and
> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>
> In any case, we'll soon set up a page on the wiki to collect these items.
> As always, I invite you to add your own priorities to the wiki, things
> that you would like to work on.  This could be a new feature.  Or, if one
> of the above items sound interesting to you, we always welcome help
> designing and implementing these features.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Andre Fischer
On 02.11.2012 03:29, Jorg Schmidt wrote:

>> -- A major UI enhancement, a sidebar framework for the editors, ported
>> over from Symphony, and including an API.
>
> I hope I understand correctly that you mean the right side in the picture
> http://www.file-extensions.org/imgs/app-picture/4561/ibm-lotus-symphony.gif (OK,
> this picture is symphony but the same in AOO). In the picture namend "Text and
> CellProperties".
>
> In this case, my question is:
>
> Is there already a compiled test version for Windows?

No, we are still in the planning and evaluation phase.  With "we" I mean
the AOO community.  Please see mail thread  [1],  here on ooo-dev, for
an invitation to participate.  Expect more in the week after the
ApacheCon.  I will be working on the framework aspect of the sidebar but
am currently busy with preparing may talks.

-Andre

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-ooo-dev/201211.mbox/ajax/%3CCAO4%2BhqNH6ukOHtWfcWxGTL14Pytu_awyeOyQfC1_F-a0nJb7ow%40mail.gmail.com%3E

> (I do not necessarily mean a formal trial rather a snapshot, my personal problem
> is only that I could not compile and therefore need a compiled version.)
>

> Greetings,
> Jorg

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 01/11/2012 robert_weir wrote:
> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are

Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and
they cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.

There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would
include: better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support, better
defaults, better integration with the Extensions and Templates sites or
in general better visibility for the additional resources, a refreshed
visual identity not only in the interface...), and indeed it will be
good to start collecting priorities on the wiki and assess feasibility
of the underlying development.

And then of course there's the community side: we are now able to engage
localization volunteers but there is still work to do to be able to
engage unaffiliated developers, so we might take that into consideration
when discussing the new features.

> releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
> warrant a "4.0" designation.

Seems like this would be a good plan. Let's make it real!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Ian Lynch-3
On 2 November 2012 08:40, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 01/11/2012 robert_weir wrote:
>
>> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM product
>> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
>> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
>> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But we
>> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are
>>

> Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and they
> cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.
>
> There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
> personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would include:
> better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support,

I think the best filters possible are the highest priority. It is difficult
to use AOO with government documents because mostly they have complex table
structures for gathering data in docx format. This more than anything will
prevent take up.

better defaults, better integration with the Extensions and Templates sites

> or in general better visibility for the additional resources, a refreshed
> visual identity not only in the interface...), and indeed it will be good
> to start collecting priorities on the wiki and assess feasibility of the
> underlying development.
>
> And then of course there's the community side: we are now able to engage
> localization volunteers but there is still work to do to be able to engage
> unaffiliated developers, so we might take that into consideration when
> discussing the new features.
>
>  releasing is PMC decision, not an IBM one.  But we think that this work
>> could be completed and tested for a release in the March/April 2013
>> time-frame.  And the scope of the release might be significant enough to
>> warrant a "4.0" designation.
>>

> Seems like this would be a good plan. Let's make it real!

On that timescale we really need to get going if we are to have a
competition for branding for 4.0.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Jörg Schmidt-2

> From: Lei Wang [mailto:[hidden email]]

> No, this is property panel in the sidebar, not the sidebar framework.
>
> The sidebar framework looks like:
> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/AOO_UX_Design_Exploration_-_Do
> cked_Task_Pane_Container_-_Tab_User_Interface_Design

Unfortunately I am not a developer and do not understand exactly the difference.

Let me ask because Rob wrote something of API:

Is it possible to program via StarBasic later controls on the empty tab area?

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Alexandro Colorado-4
On 11/2/12, Ian Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 November 2012 08:40, Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 01/11/2012 robert_weir wrote:
>>
>>> We (IBM) have consulted with customers, internal users, other IBM
>>> product
>>> teams, on what our (IBM's) development priorities should be for the next
>>> AOO release.  Obviously, we're not the only ones with priorities or
>>> interests or opinions.  We don't make AOO decisions by ourselves.  But
>>> we
>>> want to be transparent about what our own priorities are
>>>

>> Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and
>> they
>> cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.
>>
>> There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
>> personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would
>> include:
>> better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support,
>

> I think the best filters possible are the highest priority. It is difficult
> to use AOO with government documents because mostly they have complex table
> structures for gathering data in docx format. This more than anything will
> prevent take up.

This problem is more on the design and paper paradigm. Having a
digitalization of a paper-form forms, we use tables to design as
opposed as to hold tabular data.

A document design should be done with a DTP program something that
Writer is not the optimal software for it. Frame-based software is the
ideal for design documents.

One simple example is the lack of 'rotate' an image in Writer, while
Draw has it.

Here we have two scenarios:
1) Import such features into writer.
2) Improve the integration of draw and writer. Draw layers could
easily be taken as a "template" for writer to fill in around Draw
designs.

--
Alexandro Colorado
PPMC Apache OpenOffice
http://es.openoffice.org

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Fernando Cassia
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  If you recall, Symphony won
> quite a lot of praise for its UI, and much of this was due to the sidebar
> panel.  I think we can make a good argument that this approach, say
> compared to the MS Office "ribbon" is a better use of screen real-estate,
> especially as we see more frequent use of wide screen displays.

+1 anything but ribbon, please!. CUA exists for a reason...

http://news.techeye.net/software/software-gui-design-going-to-hell-in-a-basket

FC

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: AOO.Next IBM Priorities

Ian Lynch-3
On 2 November 2012 20:34, Alexandro Colorado <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/2/12, Ian Lynch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> next
> >>>

> >> Thank you for sharing. They are all good and needed contributions and
> >> they
> >> cover many of the main results from the Google Moderator user survey.
> >>
> >> There are still missing things that I've seen requested and that I would
> >> personally like to see in the product (a non-exhaustive list would
> >> include:
> >> better OOXML support, full or enhanced ODF 1.2 support,
> >

> > I think the best filters possible are the highest priority. It is
> difficult
> > to use AOO with government documents because mostly they have complex
> table
> > structures for gathering data in docx format. This more than anything
> will
> > prevent take up.
>
> This problem is more on the design and paper paradigm. Having a
> digitalization of a paper-form forms, we use tables to design as
> opposed as to hold tabular data.
>
> A document design should be done with a DTP program something that
> Writer is not the optimal software for it. Frame-based software is the
> ideal for design documents.

Government should not be collecting data in word processing documents but
they do. It's no good telling customers what they must do, we have to deal
with the situation as it is and unreliable  import of documents is a key
problem in getting take up.