AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

123

AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

Apache OpenOffice Product Description, section "Why Apache OpenOffice?"

https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice

Not being a native English speaker I have some doubts about one part (2nd
bulleted list, 2nd item):

"It's easy to change to Apache OpenOffice - the software reads all major
competitors' files"

From a purely linguistic perspective: is wording "reads all major
competitors' files" to be understood as:

- it reads all files of major competitors
  OR
- it reads files of all major competitors

Best regards,

Czesław Wolański

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:34:03 +0200
Czesław Wolański <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apache OpenOffice Product Description, section "Why Apache OpenOffice?"
>
> https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice
>
> Not being a native English speaker I have some doubts about one part (2nd
> bulleted list, 2nd item):
>
> "It's easy to change to Apache OpenOffice - the software reads all major
> competitors' files"
>
> From a purely linguistic perspective: is wording "reads all major
> competitors' files" to be understood as:
>
> - it reads all files of major competitors
>   OR
> - it reads files of all major competitors
>

> Best regards,
>
> Czesław Wolański

Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.

I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and perhaps others not yet developed.
--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

Thank you very much for explanation and far-sighted proposal. I hope others
will agree and I might finally enjoy peace of mind for...
"Roma locuta, causa finita" [1].   ;‑)

Kind regards,

Czesław

[1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Roma_locuta,_causa_finita

Am So., 24. Mai 2020 um 09:20 Uhr schrieb Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>:

> On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:34:03 +0200
> Czesław Wolański <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice Product Description, section "Why Apache OpenOffice?"
> >
> > https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice
> >
> > Not being a native English speaker I have some doubts about one part (2nd
> > bulleted list, 2nd item):
> >
> > "It's easy to change to Apache OpenOffice - the software reads all major
> > competitors' files"
> >
> > From a purely linguistic perspective: is wording "reads all major
> > competitors' files" to be understood as:
> >
> > - it reads all files of major competitors
> >   OR
> > - it reads files of all major competitors
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Czesław Wolański
>
> Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.
>
> I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and
> perhaps others not yet developed.
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Peter Kovacs-3
+1

Am 24.05.20 um 10:05 schrieb Czesław Wolański:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for explanation and far-sighted proposal. I hope others
> will agree and I might finally enjoy peace of mind for...
> "Roma locuta, causa finita" [1].   ;‑)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Czesław
>

> [1] https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Roma_locuta,_causa_finita
>

> Am So., 24. Mai 2020 um 09:20 Uhr schrieb Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:34:03 +0200
>> Czesław Wolański <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Apache OpenOffice Product Description, section "Why Apache OpenOffice?"
>>>
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice
>>>
>>> Not being a native English speaker I have some doubts about one part (2nd
>>> bulleted list, 2nd item):
>>>
>>> "It's easy to change to Apache OpenOffice - the software reads all major
>>> competitors' files"
>>>
>>>  From a purely linguistic perspective: is wording "reads all major
>>> competitors' files" to be understood as:
>>>
>>> - it reads all files of major competitors
>>>    OR
>>> - it reads files of all major competitors
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Czesław Wolański
>> Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.
>>
>> I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and
>> perhaps others not yet developed.
>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Jörg Schmidt-2

They are developed. The filters for these formats are ready for integration into AOO, but they only have to be integrated.

The fact that this important work has not been done for years is simply a disaster, because it forces more and more users to turn away from AOO.

grretings,
Jörg

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 24 May 2020 10:30:58 +0200
Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

There have been (on Forum) some small number of .nnnx files that AOO could not read.  Rather than make an absolute statement "All files", I prefer that one should say "most files", to cater for the odd "rogue" file that for some reason will not read.

Rory

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Jörg Schmidt-2

Yes, I did not object to _this_ formulation at all, but only to the claim that there is still much to be developed regarding the reading of the formats.

*But I see my mistake, it was about "read format" and not also about write format.* So: I was wrong.

I just think practical requirements must count here and as I have been involved with OO professionally for over 12 years, I can only conclude that one of the main reasons for professional users to use AOO today is that AOO cannot store the OOXML formats.
It's not that I think it would be good to use OOXML (I mean instead of ODF), it's just that users need this feature.

greetings,
Jörg

Am 24.05.20 um 11:10 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> It's not that I think it would be good to use OOXML (I mean instead of ODF), it's just that users need this feature.

Nobody thinks OOXML is an unimportant feature. I have not seen anyone
against it. We have already multiple Ideas how to close the gap.

However our 4.2.0 is our next milestone, and we should focus on that.
That will be a huge step forward for the project as it is consisted

at the moment.

I suggest one step at a time. If there is a capable developer who can do
this, we will guide him through our ideas.

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

On the said page i.e.
https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice
there is a statement:

"With a fully open development process,
Apache OpenOffice has nothing to hide - the product stands or falls on its
reputation".

To take "one step at a time" and not to lose sight of the long term is what
OpenOffice needs.

Greetings,

Czesław

Am So., 24. Mai 2020 um 11:21 Uhr schrieb Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]>:

> Am 24.05.20 um 11:10 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:
> > It's not that I think it would be good to use OOXML (I mean instead of
> ODF), it's just that users need this feature.
>
> Nobody thinks OOXML is an unimportant feature. I have not seen anyone
> against it. We have already multiple Ideas how to close the gap.
>
> However our 4.2.0 is our next milestone, and we should focus on that.
> That will be a huge step forward for the project as it is consisted
>
> at the moment.
>
> I suggest one step at a time. If there is a capable developer who can do
> this, we will guide him through our ideas.

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Rory, all

> On May 24, 2020 8:20 AM Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.
>
> I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and perhaps others not yet developed.

Since you are (and correctly so) referring to file types, I would change to

"reads all current file types of major competitors."

The fact that it does not read one particular .docx file does not mean that it does not support reading the .docx file type.

As for the discussion of Saving to OOXML format, personally I prefer OpenOffice's approach: if you can not do it right then don't do it.
Other office suites try to save in OOXML but because it is an ever changing proprietary format, the files are not quite the same and many times I have witnessed lost of data and/or lost of formatting (which means lost of time and lost of users)

Regards,
Pedro

RE: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Jörg Schmidt-2

Where can I get concrete information about these ideas?

Let's not forget: the filters have been ready for years and all we need is their integration into AOO.

> I suggest one step at a time. If there is a capable developer
> who can do
> this, we will guide him through our ideas.

I have not demanded that OOXML be given preference at this time. However, I don't know how we can solve comprehensive issues, such as OOXML, if we don't plan for them.

greetings,
Jörg

RE: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Jörg Schmidt-2

+1

This is an absolutely accurate assessment of the needs.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Mechtilde Stehmann-2

Am 24.05.20 um 11:52 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> [...]
We need developers with enough knowledge of C++ to adapt and integrate
the code in our ones

> greetings,
> Jörg

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Matthias Seidel
+1 to Rory's suggestion.

Since the discussion already went of topic, let's not forget to rephrase
that sentence... ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

RE: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Jörg Schmidt-2

Everyone knows that. Me too.

But Peter talked about 'multiple ideas to fill the gap on OOXML'. *What are these ideas?*

greetings,
Jörg

Am 24.05.20 um 12:37 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Everyone knows that. Me too.
> But Peter talked about 'multiple ideas to fill the gap on OOXML'. *What are these ideas?*

1) finish OOXML implementation we have

2) use Apache POI (Is in Java)

3) Port the LO version into an extension (The extension takes care of
the License mess.)

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Dean Webber
Dear all,

I can read a book written in German, but I cannot understand it. AOO does not seem to understand many docx, especially those with formulae. The files I use on a day-to-day basis need to have margins adjusted to 'fit' the pages, formulaes added and generally pictures too.

I think Microsoft does this on purpose.

>"reads all current file types of major competitors."

It may read it, but it does not always understand it.

Kind Regards,
Dean

________________________________
> On May 24, 2020 8:20 AM Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.
>
> I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and perhaps others not yet developed.

Since you are (and correctly so) referring to file types, I would change to

"reads all current file types of major competitors."

The fact that it does not read one particular .docx file does not mean that it does not support reading the .docx file type.

As for the discussion of Saving to OOXML format, personally I prefer OpenOffice's approach: if you can not do it right then don't do it.
Other office suites try to save in OOXML but because it is an ever changing proprietary format, the files are not quite the same and many times I have witnessed lost of data and/or lost of formatting (which means lost of time and lost of users)

Regards,
Pedro

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Dean, all

> I think Microsoft does this on purpose.
>
> >"reads all current file types of major competitors."
>
> It may read it, but it does not always understand it.

Agreed, that is why I think the emphasys should be on file _types_.

The same can be said about Microsoft Office. Using an "old" version like Microsoft Office 2016 to read a file created in a newer version of the same Office suite results more often than you would expect in some parts not being understood.

Regards,
Pedro

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

If there are no further opinions I will change the text according to
Rory's suggestion tomorrow:

...the software reads all major competitors' files -> ...the software
reads most file types of major competitors

This will be for the main page, the /xx template and I will adjust the
German translation.

@Czesław: Can you give me a Polish translation?

Regards,

   Matthias

> +1 to Rory's suggestion.
>
> Since the discussion already went of topic, let's not forget to rephrase
> that sentence... ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> Am 24.05.20 um 09:20 schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
>> On Sat, 23 May 2020 22:34:03 +0200
>> Czesław Wolański <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Apache OpenOffice Product Description, section "Why Apache OpenOffice?"
>>>
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html#why-apache-openoffice
>>>
>>> Not being a native English speaker I have some doubts about one part (2nd
>>> bulleted list, 2nd item):
>>>
>>> "It's easy to change to Apache OpenOffice - the software reads all major
>>> competitors' files"
>>>
>>> From a purely linguistic perspective: is wording "reads all major
>>> competitors' files" to be understood as:
>>>
>>> - it reads all files of major competitors
>>>   OR
>>> - it reads files of all major competitors
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Czesław Wolański
>> Best to rephrase: reads most file types of major competitors.
>>
>> I say "most" to allow for occasional inabilities to read some .docx and perhaps others not yet developed.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: AOO Product page - ambiguous wording?

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

@Matthias

Polish translation:

"program odczytuje większość typów pliku swoich głównych konkurentów"

Regards,

Czesław