[AOO-Templates]

Qaz Wiz
so many templates/extensions being "offered" on site only link to a dead
page.

i have spent the last HOUR on the site downloading just two templates. none
of the extensions and all of the other templates i clicked on sent me to a
void page (basic site info but no template info)
and of course NO DOWNLOAD BUTTON.

IS THERE A SITE CURATOR ?
a curator should be deleting the MANY false entries and the actual page
frame should include a "REPORT PAGE" button (in RED i think) to inform
curator(s) there may be a problem that a curator may need to address.

thank you for your time

qazwiz

Re: [AOO-Templates]

toki
On 06/13/2017 03:28 AM, Qaz Wiz wrote:

> so many templates/extensions being "offered" on site only link to a dead page.

Unless specific page URLs are provided, nobody can give you the specific
reason that an extension, or template is not available.

In my experience, the four most common reasons for non-availability are:
* The item was never publicly released;
* The item is obsolete/no longer support, and a request to no longer
distribute the item was honoured;
* The item was hosted on a third party site, which has since disappeared;
* The item is not for Apache OpenOffice, but rather is for Microsoft
Office, or another non-compatible office suite;

> i have spent the last HOUR on the site downloading just two templates. none

I understand the frustration of spending a long time searching for
items, only to not be able to retrieve them.

> and of course NO DOWNLOAD BUTTON.

If you were on the official Apache Open Office Extension Site, and the
official Apache Open Office Template Site, clicking on the extension, or
template will take you to the SourceForge page, where the file is
automatically downloaded.

> a curator should be deleting the MANY false entries and the actual page

I will grant that there are a number of extensions that do not work with
the current version of Apache OpenOffice.  However, they work with older
versions, and are thus retained.

> frame should include a "REPORT PAGE" button (in RED i think) to inform
> curator(s) there may be a problem that a curator may need to address.

That is what Bugzilla is for.

jonathon

Re: [AOO-Templates]

Simon Phipps-3
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 6:28 AM, toki <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/13/2017 03:28 AM, Qaz Wiz wrote:
>
> > frame should include a "REPORT PAGE" button (in RED i think) to inform
> > curator(s) there may be a problem that a curator may need to address.
>
> That is what Bugzilla is for.

Only in a world where every user is a software developer. People still
using AOO despite everything that has happened in the OO.o community tend
to be non-technical, less aware of the software market and are unlikely to
know what Bugzilla is, let alone where to find it or how to use it. A
hand-wave dismissal towards Bugzilla is thus unhelpful in my view.

The suggestion to add a "report this template"capability is a good one and
I hope SourceForge, the company maintaing the Templates web site, will add
one.

S.