AOO at ApacheCon Europe 2019

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Hello,

the ApacheCon Europe took place on October 22-24, 2019 in Berlin
(Kulturbrauerei).

Three of us (Mechtilde, Matthias and me) joined in this event to meet
Apache people from all over the world, to learn how Apache works and to
know more about Apache projects (over 350).

And we also used the time to talk among ourselves about the state of the
project, building problems, coding and our dreams and plans.

We found interested and interesting dialogue partners. One of them
conveyed to us the Apache POI project [0] and that led to a longer talk
with a member of this project. It is legally easy to use their usefull
code and we are willing to find out, whether the integration in our
project is possible.

The days in Berlin were interesting and instructive. We hope they will
become fruitfull for our project.

To get an impression of this ApacheCon look at pictures [1] and videos [2].

Kind regards
Michael

[0] https://poi.apache.org/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI
[1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/newthinking_de/albums/72157711465296723
[2] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU2OcwpQkYCxVGCGWtMxb9d27Z-pcoN9a

Re: AOO at ApacheCon Europe 2019

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Oct 26, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Dr. Michael Stehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> the ApacheCon Europe took place on October 22-24, 2019 in Berlin
> (Kulturbrauerei).
>
> Three of us (Mechtilde, Matthias and me) joined in this event to meet
> Apache people from all over the world, to learn how Apache works and to
> know more about Apache projects (over 350).
>
> And we also used the time to talk among ourselves about the state of the
> project, building problems, coding and our dreams and plans.
>
> We found interested and interesting dialogue partners. One of them
> conveyed to us the Apache POI project [0] and that led to a longer talk
> with a member of this project. It is legally easy to use their usefull
> code and we are willing to find out, whether the integration in our
> project is possible.

I have been an Apache POI PMC Member since March 2008. I can help with guidance.

Using POI will involve Java and will also involve XMLBeans which the POI project brought out of retirement.

In conjunction with the Apache Tika and PDFBox projects there is a large regression corpus from Common Crawl.

POI can be a big help with both reading and writing MS Office formats. Excel and PowerPoint are well supported and Word has been improved more recently.

Looking forward to more discussions about this path.

Regards,
Dave

> The days in Berlin were interesting and instructive. We hope they will
> become fruitfull for our project.
>
> To get an impression of this ApacheCon look at pictures [1] and videos [2].
>
> Kind regards
> Michael
>
> [0] https://poi.apache.org/
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI
> [1] https://www.flickr.com/photos/newthinking_de/albums/72157711465296723
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU2OcwpQkYCxVGCGWtMxb9d27Z-pcoN9a

Re: AOO at ApacheCon Europe 2019

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

Am 26.10.19 um 18:08 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Hi -
>
>> On Oct 26, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Dr. Michael Stehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> the ApacheCon Europe took place on October 22-24, 2019 in Berlin
>> (Kulturbrauerei).
>>
>> Three of us (Mechtilde, Matthias and me) joined in this event to meet
>> Apache people from all over the world, to learn how Apache works and to
>> know more about Apache projects (over 350).
>>
>> And we also used the time to talk among ourselves about the state of the
>> project, building problems, coding and our dreams and plans.
>>
>> We found interested and interesting dialogue partners. One of them
>> conveyed to us the Apache POI project [0] and that led to a longer talk
>> with a member of this project. It is legally easy to use their usefull
>> code and we are willing to find out, whether the integration in our
>> project is possible.
> I have been an Apache POI PMC Member since March 2008. I can help with guidance.
Great!

> Using POI will involve Java and will also involve XMLBeans which the POI project brought out of retirement.

Yes, but for some other functionalities in AOO Java already is a
requirement.

> In conjunction with the Apache Tika and PDFBox projects there is a large regression corpus from Common Crawl.
>
> POI can be a big help with both reading and writing MS Office formats. Excel and PowerPoint are well supported and Word has been improved more recently.

> Looking forward to more discussions about this path.
Our idea was to develop an export filter for XLSX first. It could be in
form of an extension.
This way it would be independent of our release cycles.

That said, I have absolutely no experience in extensions or programming
with Java... :-(

What do others think about it?

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> The days in Berlin were interesting and instructive. We hope they will
>> become fruitfull for our project.
>>
>> To get an impression of this ApacheCon look at pictures [1] and videos [2].
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Michael
>>
>> [0] https://poi.apache.org/
>>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI