APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Macmillan
Since my laptop supplier installed this programme it has worked very well with ‘all round’ satisfaction BUT at the time of downloading 4.1.4. I now have a problem with accessing any document prepared using OpenOffice.   Previously it was merely a matter of highlighting the required document, clicking and ‘hey presto’ it appeared.  NOW on selecting the required document a box appears ‘OpenOffice Document Recovery’ the ref 2017DP Consultation Response and Not Recovered Yet.  An option box beneath shows Start Recovery, when clicked the display changes to Recovery Failed with the option Next which, when clicked, the required document appears.  Please why is this extended opening procedure necessary and now can it be changed to that adequate for 4.1.3??
Cheers,
David G.Macmillan, 13.11.17.
[hidden email]

---

Re: APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Martin Groenescheij

On 14/11/17 7:20 AM, Macmillan wrote:
> Since my laptop supplier installed this programme it has worked very well with ‘all round’ satisfaction BUT at the time of downloading 4.1.4. I now have a problem with accessing any document prepared using OpenOffice.   Previously it was merely a matter of highlighting the required document, clicking and ‘hey presto’ it appeared.  NOW on selecting the required document a box appears ‘OpenOffice Document Recovery’ the ref 2017DP Consultation Response and Not Recovered Yet.  An option box beneath shows Start Recovery, when clicked the display changes to Recovery Failed with the option Next which, when clicked, the required document appears.  Please why is this extended opening procedure necessary and now can it be changed to that adequate for 4.1.3??

The why is difficult to answer as we don't know what the cause of the
message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.
It comes from your Operating System, most likely the file association
has changed.
You can change the default program in your Control Panel in the Default
Program section.

> Cheers,
> David G.Macmillan, 13.11.17.
> [hidden email]
>
> ---

Re: APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Brian Barker
At 09:35 14/11/2017 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>At 20:20 13/11/2017 +0000, David G.Macmillan wrote:
>>NOW on selecting the required document a box appears "OpenOffice
>>Document Recovery" the ref 2017DP Consultation Response and Not Recovered Yet.
>
>The why is difficult to answer as we [meaning *I*!] don't know what
>the cause of the message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.

Oh, it surely does! (And the rest of us know what the cause is.)

Brian Barker

Re: APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Alan Pearce

At 09:35 14/11/2017 +1100, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>At 20:20 13/11/2017 +0000, David G.Macmillan wrote:
>>NOW on selecting the required document a box appears "OpenOffice
>>Document Recovery" the ref 2017DP Consultation Response and Not Recovered Yet.
>
>The why is difficult to answer as we [meaning *I*!] don't know what
>the cause of the message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.

Oh, it surely does! (And the rest of us know what the cause is.)

Brian Barker
Oh. Do we? How about letting us all in on the secret then☺
Alan Pearce.

At 23:49 13/11/2017 +0000, Alan Pearce wrote:

>From: Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
>Date: 13/11/2017  23:29  (GMT+00:00)
>>>
>>>The why is difficult to answer as we [meaning *I*!] don't know
>>>what the cause of the message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.
>>
>>Oh, it surely does! (And the rest of us know what the cause is.)
>
>Oh. Do we? How about letting us all in on the secret then

It's no secret! Providing that Tools | Options... | Load/Save |
General | Save | Save AutoRecovery information every ... Minutes is
ticked, OpenOffice regularly but quietly salts away information about
the current editing session. Normally, this information is purged
when the active document is closed. If OpenOffice fails for any
reason (hardware problem? software glitch? user malpractice?), the
saved information is not deleted. This is detected the next time
OpenOffice is started and the offer described above - to attempt
OpenOffice Document Recovery, here on the document file "2017DP
Consultation Response" - is made. If the recovery is successful, a
version of the document is presented and the user can decide whether
to save it instead of or as well as the original file - whatever
condition that is in. If the recovery is not successful, the offer
will be repeated each time OpenOffice is started. The solution in
this case is simple: to decline the recovery process once.

Strangely, the manuals suggest that this facility saves the current
state of documents over the originals - as if File | Save were being
used at regular intervals. But that is not the case (and would be
unhelpful anyway). The built-in help is somewhat clearer on the subject.

Brian Barker

Re: APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Alan Pearce
Thank you Brian. A nice clear answer. It has explained some thhings I didn't know.
Regards,Alan.

At 23:49 13/11/2017 +0000, Alan Pearce wrote:

>From: Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
>Date: 13/11/2017  23:29  (GMT+00:00)
>>>
>>>The why is difficult to answer as we [meaning *I*!] don't know
>>>what the cause of the message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.
>>
>>Oh, it surely does! (And the rest of us know what the cause is.)
>
>Oh. Do we? How about letting us all in on the secret then

It's no secret! Providing that Tools | Options... | Load/Save |
General | Save | Save AutoRecovery information every ... Minutes is
ticked, OpenOffice regularly but quietly salts away information about
the current editing session. Normally, this information is purged
when the active document is closed. If OpenOffice fails for any
reason (hardware problem? software glitch? user malpractice?), the
saved information is not deleted. This is detected the next time
OpenOffice is started and the offer described above - to attempt
OpenOffice Document Recovery, here on the document file "2017DP
Consultation Response" - is made. If the recovery is successful, a
version of the document is presented and the user can decide whether
to save it instead of or as well as the original file - whatever
condition that is in. If the recovery is not successful, the offer
will be repeated each time OpenOffice is started. The solution in
this case is simple: to decline the recovery process once.

Strangely, the manuals suggest that this facility saves the current
state of documents over the originals - as if File | Save were being
used at regular intervals. But that is not the case (and would be
unhelpful anyway). The built-in help is somewhat clearer on the subject.

Brian Barker

Re: APACHE OPENOFFICE 4.1.3-4.1.4.

Macmillan
Thank you but the pop-up message received was definitely from OpenOffice and
the solution from Mr.Barker seems to have solved the problem.

Cheers,
David G.Macmillan, 15.11.17.
[hidden email]

> Since my laptop supplier installed this programme it has worked very well
> with ‘all round’ satisfaction BUT at the time of downloading 4.1.4. I now
> have a problem with accessing any document prepared using OpenOffice.
> Previously it was merely a matter of highlighting the required document,
> clicking and ‘hey presto’ it appeared.  NOW on selecting the required
> document a box appears ‘OpenOffice Document Recovery’ the ref 2017DP
> Consultation Response and Not Recovered Yet.  An option box beneath shows
> Start Recovery, when clicked the display changes to Recovery Failed with
> the option Next which, when clicked, the required document appears.
> Please why is this extended opening procedure necessary and now can it be
> changed to that adequate for 4.1.3??

The why is difficult to answer as we don't know what the cause of the
message is, it definitely not comes from OpenOffice.
It comes from your Operating System, most likely the file association
has changed.
You can change the default program in your Control Panel in the Default
Program section.

> Cheers,
> David G.Macmillan, 13.11.17.
> [hidden email]

You have - perhaps understandably - assumed that this behaviour is
standard for the new version, but that is not so. OpenOffice must
have crashed whilst you were editing the document named in the
message. Data relevant to your editing was automatically saved during
the earlier session, and you are being offered the opportunity to
recover as much of that document as possible. Clearly the response
"Recovery Failed" indicates that recovery cannot take place. But if
you attempt recovery each time, the recovery information will not be
purged and you will indeed be offered the opportunity repeatedly. All
you have to do to avoid this is to select the other option - to
decline the recovery, that is. Then the saved information will be
removed and you will not be offered the option in future. (This saved
information is quite separate from your saved copies of any document.)

Note that - since the named document was open when OpenOffice crashed
- you will want to open your saved copy of it and check that your
most recent changes were indeed saved.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker - privately