API to Grammar Checking in OOo

Frco. Javier Rial
Hi:

This question is about integrating a grammar checker in OOo.

In http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html, I saw that "The
integration API will not be ready before OOo 2.4"

Is the API ready for the upcoming 2.4??? If the answer is not, well, how
is it going?; will it be ready for 3.0?

I ask this questions because, in Galician project (gl.openoffice.org) we
have a grammar checker for OpenOffice.org, called "Golfiño". It uses a
service installed in the computer and a GUI installed as a extension in OOo.

We are developing some new features, but if the API to OOo is ready, we
must stop our work, and focus on develop using integrated API.

Can someone tell a bout the status of this work??

Thanks**

Javi.
OpenOffice.org Galician Coordinator
gl.openoffice.org
http://www.mancomun.org

Re: API to Grammar Checking in OOo

capiscuas
Hola Javi.

I think that the best way to know if LinguComponent would be ready for
OO3.0is to start from now collaborating with them.
I'm telling that because it seems that you took the decision of leaving
Golfinyo (BTW great job) engine, that way you don't need to waste time now
on it.

Best Regards.
Ivan.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Frco. Javier Rial <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> This question is about integrating a grammar checker in OOo.
>
> In http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html, I saw that "The
> integration API will not be ready before OOo 2.4"
>
> Is the API ready for the upcoming 2.4??? If the answer is not, well, how
> is it going?; will it be ready for 3.0?
>
> I ask this questions because, in Galician project (gl.openoffice.org) we
> have a grammar checker for OpenOffice.org, called "Golfiño". It uses a
> service installed in the computer and a GUI installed as a extension in
> OOo.
>
> We are developing some new features, but if the API to OOo is ready, we
> must stop our work, and focus on develop using integrated API.
>
> Can someone tell a bout the status of this work??
>
> Thanks**
>
> Javi.
> OpenOffice.org Galician Coordinator
> gl.openoffice.org
> http://www.mancomun.org

Re: API to Grammar Checking in OOo

Mathias Bauer
Frco. Javier Rial wrote:

> Hi:
>
> This question is about integrating a grammar checker in OOo.
>
> In http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html, I saw that "The
> integration API will not be ready before OOo 2.4"
>
> Is the API ready for the upcoming 2.4??? If the answer is not, well, how
> is it going?; will it be ready for 3.0?

It will be available in 3.0, it was already integrated into the
developer build DEV300_m1.

Currently we only have the API and a dummy "grammar checker" component
that demonstrates how it works. The checking is not triggered by the
application but this can be done by a simple two-line basic macro.

> I ask this questions because, in Galician project (gl.openoffice.org) we
> have a grammar checker for OpenOffice.org, called "Golfiño". It uses a
> service installed in the computer and a GUI installed as a extension in OOo.
>
> We are developing some new features, but if the API to OOo is ready, we
> must stop our work, and focus on develop using integrated API.
>
> Can someone tell a bout the status of this work??

So basically we are ready to take off. I will check where you can get
documentation and then come back to the list.

Regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Mathias Bauer wrote:

> Frco. Javier Rial wrote:
>
>> Hi:
>>
>> This question is about integrating a grammar checker in OOo.
>>
>> In http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html, I saw that "The
>> integration API will not be ready before OOo 2.4"
>>
>> Is the API ready for the upcoming 2.4??? If the answer is not, well, how
>> is it going?; will it be ready for 3.0?
>
> It will be available in 3.0, it was already integrated into the
> developer build DEV300_m1.
>
> Currently we only have the API and a dummy "grammar checker" component
> that demonstrates how it works. The checking is not triggered by the
> application but this can be done by a simple two-line basic macro.
>
>> I ask this questions because, in Galician project (gl.openoffice.org) we
>> have a grammar checker for OpenOffice.org, called "Golfiño". It uses a
>> service installed in the computer and a GUI installed as a extension in OOo.
>>
>> We are developing some new features, but if the API to OOo is ready, we
>> must stop our work, and focus on develop using integrated API.
>>
>> Can someone tell a bout the status of this work??
>
> So basically we are ready to take off. I will check where you can get
> documentation and then come back to the list.

I'm back. :-)

Documentation is available at

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Grammar_Checking

The APIs for text iteration and markup are done, the API for Grammar
Checkers and the GrammarCheckerIterator might undergo some cosmetic
changes in the immediate future (some methods might get removed, some
slightly renamed), but it is already usable and in case you will start
working with it we will work closely together with you to keep you updated.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask here on the list.

If you are familiar with C++ we can provide you with a simple "Grammar
Checker" component (in fact it just scans for two words and marks them
as errors ;-)) as a coding example.

Best regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Re: API to Grammar Checking in OOo

Carlos Menezes
Dear Mathias,

Where could I find OOo 3.0 source code (DEV300_m1)?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos Menezes

On 3/4/08, Mathias Bauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mathias Bauer wrote:
>
> > Frco. Javier Rial wrote:
> >
> >> Hi:
> >>
> >> This question is about integrating a grammar checker in OOo.
> >>
> >> In http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/grammar.html, I saw that "The
> >> integration API will not be ready before OOo 2.4"
> >>
> >> Is the API ready for the upcoming 2.4??? If the answer is not, well,
> how
> >> is it going?; will it be ready for 3.0?
> >
> > It will be available in 3.0, it was already integrated into the
> > developer build DEV300_m1.
> >
> > Currently we only have the API and a dummy "grammar checker" component
> > that demonstrates how it works. The checking is not triggered by the
> > application but this can be done by a simple two-line basic macro.
> >
> >> I ask this questions because, in Galician project (gl.openoffice.org)
> we
> >> have a grammar checker for OpenOffice.org, called "Golfiño". It uses a
> >> service installed in the computer and a GUI installed as a extension in
> OOo.
> >>
> >> We are developing some new features, but if the API to OOo is ready, we
> >> must stop our work, and focus on develop using integrated API.
> >>
> >> Can someone tell a bout the status of this work??
> >
> > So basically we are ready to take off. I will check where you can get
> > documentation and then come back to the list.
>

> I'm back. :-)
>
> Documentation is available at
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Grammar_Checking
>
> The APIs for text iteration and markup are done, the API for Grammar
> Checkers and the GrammarCheckerIterator might undergo some cosmetic
> changes in the immediate future (some methods might get removed, some
> slightly renamed), but it is already usable and in case you will start
> working with it we will work closely together with you to keep you
> updated.
>
> If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask here on the list.
>
> If you are familiar with C++ we can provide you with a simple "Grammar
> Checker" component (in fact it just scans for two words and marks them
> as errors ;-)) as a coding example.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mathias
>
> --
> Mathias Bauer (mba) - Project Lead OpenOffice.org Writer
> OpenOffice.org Engineering at Sun: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
> Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".
> I use it for the OOo lists and only rarely read other mails sent to it.

Re: API to Grammar Checking in OOo

thomas.lange

Hello Carlos,

CARLOS EDUARDO DANTAS DE MENEZES wrote:

> Where could I find OOo 3.0 source code (DEV300_m1)?

I'm tending to say get CVS and check it out.

Otherwise the only way to see the code I know of is browsing CVS at
openoffice.org  e.g.:
http://sw.openoffice.org/source/browse/sw

Be sure to look at the latest versions e.g.

http://sw.openoffice.org/source/browse/sw/linguistic/source/grammarchecker.hxx?rev=1.2&view=markup
http://sw.openoffice.org/source/browse/sw/linguistic/source/grammarchecker.cxx?rev=1.2&view=markup

Thomas