ASCII Filter

Greg
  When I start OOW it always wants to know about ASCII filter. Can I
turn this off or make it default to something.

It is very annoying to have to answer this all the time. I just want it
to start and get on with the job.

Re: ASCII Filter

Barbara Duprey
On 11/20/2010 2:33 AM, Greg wrote:
>  When I start OOW it always wants to know about ASCII filter. Can I turn this off or make it
> default to something.
>
> It is very annoying to have to answer this all the time. I just want it to start and get on with
> the job.

[Greg ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]

It sounds as if you're trying to use OOo Writer for a type of file it does not recognize -- that's
what causes it to ask that question. What is the file type (extension) of the kind of file that
causes the problem? How, exactly, are you trying to open the file? Do you have the file association
for that type of file set up, for example by using Open With, browsing to the appropriate program,
and selecting the option to always use this program for this type of file?

Re: ASCII Filter

Matt Needles
On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 12:56 -0600, Barbara Duprey wrote:

> On 11/20/2010 2:33 AM, Greg wrote:
> >  When I start OOW it always wants to know about ASCII filter. Can I turn this off or make it
> > default to something.
> >
> > It is very annoying to have to answer this all the time. I just want it to start and get on with
> > the job.
>
> [Greg ([hidden email]) is not subscribed and probably will not see responses unless directly copied.]
>
> It sounds as if you're trying to use OOo Writer for a type of file it does not recognize -- that's
> what causes it to ask that question. What is the file type (extension) of the kind of file that
> causes the problem? How, exactly, are you trying to open the file? Do you have the file association
> for that type of file set up, for example by using Open With, browsing to the appropriate program,
> and selecting the option to always use this program for this type of file?

Also, check your save options: do you have automatic extension turned
off? If so, Windows does not know what type of file you are trying to
open. This problem does not exist in Linux :)

Re: ASCII Filter

tora - Takamichi Akiyama
Section "Resetting the default template" in the page
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOo3_User_Guides/Getting_Started/Setting_default_template
might help your problem.

However, the reasons why the default files have gotten broken are still unclear.
Clean uninstallation and then resinstallation could be a more reliable way.

Tora