AT suggestions

E.J. Zufelt
Good evening,

My name is Everett Zufelt.  I am new to using OpenOffice and to this list.  I am a blind user, I use JAWS 7.0 as my screen-reader of choice.  I have some background in computer programming, VB and Java mostly, so hopefully I will be able to make coherent comments and suggestions.

What I have noticed about OpenOffice's interaction with JAWS, or perhaps with the Java Access Bridge depending on where the problem lies, follows.

1.  When speaking menu items, JAWS does not read the name of menu items which themselves contain a sub-menu (e.g. Edit > Changes) until I hit the right-arrow key.  Once I do this the name of the sub-menu and the first sub-menu item are spoken.

2.  When using the down arrow key within a document the first line of most paragraphs is not spoken until I find the second line of the paragraph and then press the up arrow once.

3.  In most word processors, and other programs, pressing CTRL + down-arrow moves the cursor to the beginning of the next paragraph and begins reading.  This does not happen with OpenOffice, this is an intuition for me, and I assume other screen-reader users, that may improve the appeal and usability of the program.

4.  When reaching a blank line in an OpenOffice Writer document the word "Edit" is spoken by JAWS.  Though this is minor in comparisson to the prior comments I have mentioned, it would be nicer if the word "blank" were spoken.

5.  Finally, I have noticed that the text (edit) boxes on the Find and Replace dialog are not labled (or atleast the lable is not read by JAWS when I tab to each field.

I do not mean these comments to be complaints.  I have mostly enjoyed working with OpenOffice this past week and plan to continue using it.  I hope my comments can contribute to the program.

Regards,
Everett

Re: AT suggestions

Peter Korn-2
Good evening Everett,

Thank you for your thoughts and observations about JAWS 7.0 and
OpenOffice.org.  We would really love to see JAWS work very well with
OpenOffice.org.

Could you please confirm exactly what versions of OOo and the Java
Access Bridge for Windows that you are using?

A number of the items you cite are very likely things to be fixed in
JAWS and not in OOo or the bridge.  Have you taken any of these issues
up with Freedom Scientific?

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

> Good evening,
>
> My name is Everett Zufelt.  I am new to using OpenOffice and to this
> list.  I am a blind user, I use JAWS 7.0 as my screen-reader of
> choice.  I have some background in computer programming, VB and Java
> mostly, so hopefully I will be able to make coherent comments and
> suggestions.
>
> What I have noticed about OpenOffice's interaction with JAWS, or
> perhaps with the Java Access Bridge depending on where the problem
> lies, follows.
>
> 1.  When speaking menu items, JAWS does not read the name of menu
> items which themselves contain a sub-menu (e.g. Edit > Changes) until
> I hit the right-arrow key.  Once I do this the name of the sub-menu
> and the first sub-menu item are spoken.
>
> 2.  When using the down arrow key within a document the first line of
> most paragraphs is not spoken until I find the second line of the
> paragraph and then press the up arrow once.
>
> 3.  In most word processors, and other programs, pressing CTRL +
> down-arrow moves the cursor to the beginning of the next paragraph and
> begins reading.  This does not happen with OpenOffice, this is an
> intuition for me, and I assume other screen-reader users, that may
> improve the appeal and usability of the program.
>
> 4.  When reaching a blank line in an OpenOffice Writer document the
> word "Edit" is spoken by JAWS.  Though this is minor in comparisson to
> the prior comments I have mentioned, it would be nicer if the word
> "blank" were spoken.
>
> 5.  Finally, I have noticed that the text (edit) boxes on the Find and
> Replace dialog are not labled (or atleast the lable is not read by
> JAWS when I tab to each field.
>

> I do not mean these comments to be complaints.  I have mostly enjoyed
> working with OpenOffice this past week and plan to continue using it.
> I hope my comments can contribute to the program.
>

> Regards,
> Everett

Re: AT suggestions

E.J. Zufelt
Good evening Peter,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am using OpenOffice 2.0; JRE 1.4.2_10; Java Access Bridge 2.0; and JAWS
7.0.

Do you think these problems are between OpenOffice and the bridge, or
between the bridge and JAWS?

Thanks,
Everett

> Thank you for your thoughts and observations about JAWS 7.0 and
> OpenOffice.org.  We would really love to see JAWS work very well with
> OpenOffice.org.
>
> Could you please confirm exactly what versions of OOo and the Java
> Access Bridge for Windows that you are using?
>
> A number of the items you cite are very likely things to be fixed in
> JAWS and not in OOo or the bridge.  Have you taken any of these issues
> up with Freedom Scientific?
>

> Regards,
>
> Peter Korn
> Accessibility Architect,
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> > Good evening,
> >
> > My name is Everett Zufelt.  I am new to using OpenOffice and to this
> > list.  I am a blind user, I use JAWS 7.0 as my screen-reader of
> > choice.  I have some background in computer programming, VB and Java
> > mostly, so hopefully I will be able to make coherent comments and
> > suggestions.
> >
> > What I have noticed about OpenOffice's interaction with JAWS, or
> > perhaps with the Java Access Bridge depending on where the problem
> > lies, follows.
> >
> > 1.  When speaking menu items, JAWS does not read the name of menu
> > items which themselves contain a sub-menu (e.g. Edit > Changes) until
> > I hit the right-arrow key.  Once I do this the name of the sub-menu
> > and the first sub-menu item are spoken.
> >
> > 2.  When using the down arrow key within a document the first line of
> > most paragraphs is not spoken until I find the second line of the
> > paragraph and then press the up arrow once.
> >
> > 3.  In most word processors, and other programs, pressing CTRL +
> > down-arrow moves the cursor to the beginning of the next paragraph and
> > begins reading.  This does not happen with OpenOffice, this is an
> > intuition for me, and I assume other screen-reader users, that may
> > improve the appeal and usability of the program.
> >
> > 4.  When reaching a blank line in an OpenOffice Writer document the
> > word "Edit" is spoken by JAWS.  Though this is minor in comparisson to
> > the prior comments I have mentioned, it would be nicer if the word
> > "blank" were spoken.
> >
> > 5.  Finally, I have noticed that the text (edit) boxes on the Find and
> > Replace dialog are not labled (or atleast the lable is not read by
> > JAWS when I tab to each field.
> >

> > I do not mean these comments to be complaints.  I have mostly enjoyed
> > working with OpenOffice this past week and plan to continue using it.
> > I hope my comments can contribute to the program.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Everett

Re: AT suggestions

Malte Timmermann
Everett,

thanks for your comments on OOo and JAWS.

I think Peter is right that most of your reported problems are in JAWS.

You use very current versions of OOo, Java Access Bridge and JAWS, thats
great.

It would be really helpful if you reported your problems to Freedom
Scientific.
We also do this, but they don't care about that to much, because we are
not customers.

You are right about "CTRL + down-arrow".
The situation in OOo Writer is even worse, because that key combination
moves the current paragraph.
Very convenient feature for sighted users, when organizing document
content and bulleted lists, but very confusing for blind people.
In some developer releases we had changed the key combination and people
complained about that, so it is like it is now.
Maybe OOo should at least offer configuration for disabling that feature.
Would you like to file an issue with keyword "accessibility?".

Thanks,
Malte.

PS: You might consider using the quite new accessibility mailing list
next time.
See http://www.openoffice.org/access for details.