About 20th anniversary plans

12345

About 20th anniversary plans

Hyeon Lee-2
Hi,

Is there any webpage about the volunteering and participating on the 20th anniversary? I was off from the dev mailing list for a while and I would be happy if there is any plans in written form, so that I could have a look. (or about 4.1.8 too!)

Thanks.

Regards,
Hyeon

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Matthias Seidel
Hi Hyeon,

Am 01.09.20 um 16:16 schrieb Hyeon Lee:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any webpage about the volunteering and participating on the 20th anniversary? I was off from the dev mailing list for a while and I would be happy if there is any plans in written form, so that I could have a look. (or about 4.1.8 too!)

I can't say anything regarding a 20th anniversary event but for AOO
4.1.8 we are trying to document as much as possible.

See [1] for the Release Schedule

See [2] for the Release Notes (Draft)

See [3] for the differences (compared to 4.1.7) on GitHub

Feel free to ask if you have any specific question.

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.8

[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.8+Release+Notes

[3] https://github.com/apache/openoffice/compare/AOO417...AOO418

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Hyeon

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias, all

I assumed it was approved by lazy consensus that version 4.1.8 would use the "open-source for 20 years" message both in the Intro and in the About dialogs?

Can these images be committed to the 4.1.8 branch for testing (not that it could break something but just to check if it looks good)?

Thanks!

Regards,
Pedro

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

Am 06.09.20 um 14:17 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias, all
>
> I assumed it was approved by lazy consensus that version 4.1.8 would use the "open-source for 20 years" message both in the Intro and in the About dialogs?
No, only for the About dialog.

> Can these images be committed to the 4.1.8 branch for testing (not that it could break something but just to check if it looks good)?

You can find it here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.8/

Regards,

   Matthias

> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

> On 09/06/2020 1:21 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 06.09.20 um 14:17 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> > Hi Matthias, all
> >
> > I assumed it was approved by lazy consensus that version 4.1.8 would use the "open-source for 20 years" message both in the Intro and in the About dialogs?
> No, only for the About dialog.

I think it would make sense to add it to the Intro as well.
+1 vote
I can hack the Intro screen with the same text

> You can find it here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.8/

I already had the image. My point was that it should be added to the proper folder in github so that it is included when I do a git pull origin AOO418

Regards,
Pedro

Am 06.09.20 um 14:47 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 09/06/2020 1:21 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 06.09.20 um 14:17 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>> Hi Matthias, all
>>>
>>> I assumed it was approved by lazy consensus that version 4.1.8 would use the "open-source for 20 years" message both in the Intro and in the About dialogs?
>> No, only for the About dialog.
> I think it would make sense to add it to the Intro as well.
> +1 vote
> I can hack the Intro screen with the same text
We shouldn't do any "hacking" here...

>> You can find it here:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/devtools/build-scripts/4.1.8/
> I already had the image. My point was that it should be added to the proper folder in github so that it is included when I do a git pull origin AOO418

So, which would be the proper folder and why don't you crate a Pull
Request? ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

> On 09/06/2020 1:50 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I can hack the Intro screen with the same text
>
> We shouldn't do any "hacking" here...

Hacking is what we do when we change things. It has been wrongly associated with evil things. You are a white hat hacker ;)
Unless I misunderstood your comment and you disagree on changing the Intro screen?

> So, which would be the proper folder and why don't you crate a Pull
> Request? ;-)

I would say main/default_images/introabout?
This is what I'm doing by email :) I don't know how to do that in git :)
I assume a combination of commit and/or push but I don't want to break stuff!

Regards,
Pedro

Am 06.09.20 um 16:59 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 09/06/2020 1:50 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I can hack the Intro screen with the same text
>> We shouldn't do any "hacking" here...
> Hacking is what we do when we change things. It has been wrongly associated with evil things. You are a white hat hacker ;)
> Unless I misunderstood your comment and you disagree on changing the Intro screen?

Well, I didn't create a graphic for the Intro because I really think it
is not needed.

If others want one, this should be discussed.

>> So, which would be the proper folder and why don't you crate a Pull
>> Request? ;-)
> I would say main/default_images/introabout?

Yes, but that would override our "original" graphic.

I would rather refer to the graphic in ./configure.

But again, if others want it to be that way, we should discuss.

> This is what I'm doing by email :) I don't know how to do that in git :)
> I assume a combination of commit and/or push but I don't want to break stuff!

A Pull Request cannot break stuff. It is easy to do on GitHub.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Matthias

> On 09/06/2020 5:44 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well, I didn't create a graphic for the Intro because I really think it
> is not needed.
>
> If others want one, this should be discussed.

Then let's discuss :)
I think that for a matter of consistency both screens should be kept similar. Is it not what is done for a Test build or a Developer build?

> >> So, which would be the proper folder and why don't you crate a Pull
> >> Request? ;-)
> > I would say main/default_images/introabout?
>
> Yes, but that would override our "original" graphic.

But only for branch 4.1.8 which will not be further developed?
I assume this does not affect the other branches. If it does, then it should be somewhere else

> A Pull Request cannot break stuff. It is easy to do on GitHub.

Pull? Shouldn't it be Push? I'm not sure if I won't break stuff and it's less than a month for release...

Regards
Pedro

Am 07.09.20 um 00:00 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Hi Matthias
>
>> On 09/06/2020 5:44 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, I didn't create a graphic for the Intro because I really think it
>> is not needed.
>>
>> If others want one, this should be discussed.
>
> Then let's discuss :)
> I think that for a matter of consistency both screens should be kept similar. Is it not what is done for a Test build or a Developer build?
I do it for my personal Test Builds and we did it for Dev Builds. But
there is no rule for it.

AOO 4.1.8 being a "normal" build (just happening around the 20th
anniversary) only needs a modified About graphic (IMO).

But I will step back, since I would be the one to do the work (as I
already did) and wait what others think of it.

>>> I would say main/default_images/introabout?
>> Yes, but that would override our "original" graphic.
> But only for branch 4.1.8 which will not be further developed?

Of course we can restore the old graphic in branch 419 when it is
branched off 418.

But I will not decide that, since it is easier for me to specify it in
configure.

> I assume this does not affect the other branches. If it does, then it should be somewhere else
>
>> A Pull Request cannot break stuff. It is easy to do on GitHub.
> Pull? Shouldn't it be Push? I'm not sure if I won't break stuff and it's less than a month for release...

Git calls it Pull requests: https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pulls

Branch 418 is almost 12 month old. And it will be released when it is
"ready"

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Peter Kovacs-3
I am +1, if not Matthias is the one who does everything.

It should be a community thing. We got some pictures from the french List.

If i.e. Pedro can create a patch to add them in, I think it is great.

I am kind of negative if in the End Matthias has to do it all alone.

We have to get more people get involved in such stuff.

I hope I could make myself clear on the constraints I see ;)

All the Best

Peter

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Am 07.09.20 um 00:00 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi Matthias
>>
>>> On 09/06/2020 5:44 PM Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, I didn't create a graphic for the Intro because I really think it
>>> is not needed.
>>>
>>> If others want one, this should be discussed.
>>
>> Then let's discuss :)
>> I think that for a matter of consistency both screens should be kept similar. Is it not what is done for a Test build or a Developer build?
> I do it for my personal Test Builds and we did it for Dev Builds. But
> there is no rule for it.
>
> AOO 4.1.8 being a "normal" build (just happening around the 20th
> anniversary) only needs a modified About graphic (IMO).
>
> But I will step back, since I would be the one to do the work (as I
> already did) and wait what others think of it.

>>> Yes, but that would override our "original" graphic.
>> But only for branch 4.1.8 which will not be further developed?
> Of course we can restore the old graphic in branch 419 when it is
> branched off 418.
>
> But I will not decide that, since it is easier for me to specify it in
> configure.
>
>> I assume this does not affect the other branches. If it does, then it should be somewhere else
>>
>>> A Pull Request cannot break stuff. It is easy to do on GitHub.
>> Pull? Shouldn't it be Push? I'm not sure if I won't break stuff and it's less than a month for release...
> Git calls it Pull requests: https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pulls
>
> Branch 418 is almost 12 month old. And it will be released when it is
> "ready"
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
>> Regards
>> Pedro

RE: About 20th anniversary plans

Jorg Schmidt
Hello,

This is not an argument. When technical issues are discussed, ONLY technical arguments should count.

> It should be a community thing. We got some pictures from the
> french List.
>
> If i.e. Pedro can create a patch to add them in, I think it is great.
>
> I am kind of negative if in the End Matthias has to do it all alone.
>
> We have to get more people get involved in such stuff.

Whose fault is it that people vote with their feet?

greetings,
Jörg

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Peter, all

I'm not a designer but can hack stuff using Gimp :)

I adapted the idea submitted by the french volunteer (we can not use the images as they are because they must have the exact same pixel size to fit in the dialogs)

In the Intro screen the white space below the word OpenOffice can not be used because it is where the progress bar is displayed during loading.

https://imgur.com/a/ZNYjwDq

Comments/suggestions?

> On 09/07/2020 12:47 AM Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I am +1, if not Matthias is the one who does everything.
>
> It should be a community thing. We got some pictures from the french List.
>
> If i.e. Pedro can create a patch to add them in, I think it is great.
>
> I am kind of negative if in the End Matthias has to do it all alone.
>
> We have to get more people get involved in such stuff.
>

> I hope I could make myself clear on the constraints I see ;)
>

> All the Best
>
> Peter

> > Hi Pedro,
> >
> > Am 07.09.20 um 00:00 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> >> Hi Matthias

> >> Then let's discuss :)
> >> I think that for a matter of consistency both screens should be kept similar. Is it not what is done for a Test build or a Developer build?
> > I do it for my personal Test Builds and we did it for Dev Builds. But
> > there is no rule for it.
> >
> > AOO 4.1.8 being a "normal" build (just happening around the 20th
> > anniversary) only needs a modified About graphic (IMO).
> >
> > But I will step back, since I would be the one to do the work (as I
> > already did) and wait what others think of it.

> >> But only for branch 4.1.8 which will not be further developed?
> > Of course we can restore the old graphic in branch 419 when it is
> > branched off 418.
> >
> > But I will not decide that, since it is easier for me to specify it in
> > configure.
> >
> >> I assume this does not affect the other branches. If it does, then it should be somewhere else

> >> Pull? Shouldn't it be Push? I'm not sure if I won't break stuff and it's less than a month for release...
> > Git calls it Pull requests: https://github.com/apache/openoffice/pulls
> >
> > Branch 418 is almost 12 month old. And it will be released when it is
> > "ready"
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> >     Matthias
> >
> >> Regards
> >> Pedro

RE: About 20th anniversary plans

Jorg Schmidt
Hello,

I had recently suggested replacing the yellow (at 20 years) with a color that would be more recognizable.

I mentioned orange as an alternative color, but I can't say if this would be the best choice.
Maybe you should just use the red-brown of the Apache lettering?

Unfortunately it is not so easy to create an example directly because "20 years" contains antialiasing.

greetings,
Jörg

RE: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Jörg

> On 09/07/2020 9:24 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had recently suggested replacing the yellow (at 20 years) with a color that would be more recognizable.
>
> I mentioned orange as an alternative color, but I can't say if this would be the best choice.
> Maybe you should just use the red-brown of the Apache lettering?

I agree. Maybe some colour from the Apache feather
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Apache_Feather_Logo.svg

> Unfortunately it is not so easy to create an example directly because "20 years" contains antialiasing.

Yes, this requires that the original author does that (or shares a vector version of the original)

This raises another question: in some versions of the AOO logos there is a TM and in others a R. Which is correct?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apache_OpenOffice_logo_and_wordmark_(2014).svg

Regards,
Pedro

RE: About 20th anniversary plans

Jorg Schmidt
Hello Pedro,

Yes.

Basically, all colors of the feather are suitable, my personal taste would be the 'upper' colors from about #F69923 to #D43831.

greetings,
Jörg

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 07.09.20 um 01:47 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> I am +1, if not Matthias is the one who does everything.

Over the last years I've created templates for most of our graphics, so
there is no technical reason that prevents doing another one.

BUT:

 - Some weeks ago, I proposed a graphic for the About dialog and got
minimal feedback.

 - Now Pedro likes to add the Intro graphic.

 - Maybe next week someone wants to add the StartCenter (which I am
totally against)

So, basically we must first come to a conclusion and then start to work...

> It should be a community thing. We got some pictures from the french
> List.
>
> If i.e. Pedro can create a patch to add them in, I think it is great.

While I like the graphic from the French list I don't see it in the
context of AOO dialogs.

Have we ever got a reply or a vector based version?

> I am kind of negative if in the End Matthias has to do it all alone.
>
> We have to get more people get involved in such stuff.

There were always only a handful (literally) of people doing all the
work for a release.

It would be great if that situation could be improved.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 07.09.20 um 11:52 schrieb Pedro Lino:

> Hi Jörg
>
>> On 09/07/2020 9:24 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I had recently suggested replacing the yellow (at 20 years) with a color that would be more recognizable.
>>
>> I mentioned orange as an alternative color, but I can't say if this would be the best choice.
>> Maybe you should just use the red-brown of the Apache lettering?
> I agree. Maybe some colour from the Apache feather
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Apache_Feather_Logo.svg
>
>> Unfortunately it is not so easy to create an example directly because "20 years" contains antialiasing.
> Yes, this requires that the original author does that (or shares a vector version of the original)
>
> This raises another question: in some versions of the AOO logos there is a TM and in others a R. Which is correct?
There is only one source for the logos:

https://www.apache.org/logos/?#openoffice

As you might have noticed graphics were changed in the source and on the
homepages recently.
But as only one person (guess who?) does this it can take a while until
everything is up to date.

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apache_OpenOffice_logo_and_wordmark_(2014).svg

This should be updated. The artwork is the same, except for the
registered trademark.

Regards,

Matthias

> Regards,
> Pedro

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Czesław Wolański
Hi all,

@ Matthias
> While I like the graphic from the French list
> I don't see it
> in the context of AOO dialogs.

+1

Additional remark:
As I already pointed out (dev@ subject "OpenOffice 20 years event", 29
August)
I like the idea of combining the "O/0" character and the seagull logo.
Image provided by the French volunteer is a self-standing entity and
Pedro's proposal
seems to me sort of "embarras de richesses" (in French: "confusing
abundance").
I see the bigger seagull logo on the one side of "Apache/OpenOffice 4" and
its reduced copy on the other.
That doesn't look very appealing and IMHO strains one's eyes - no matter
what colour "20 years" would take.

"Open-source for 20 years" does the job properly.

Regards,

Czesław Wolański

пн, 7 сент. 2020 г. в 16:12, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> Am 07.09.20 um 11:52 schrieb Pedro Lino:
> > Hi Jörg
> >
> >> On 09/07/2020 9:24 AM Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I had recently suggested replacing the yellow (at 20 years) with a
> color that would be more recognizable.
> >>
> >> I mentioned orange as an alternative color, but I can't say if this
> would be the best choice.
> >> Maybe you should just use the red-brown of the Apache lettering?
> > I agree. Maybe some colour from the Apache feather
> >
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Apache_Feather_Logo.svg
> >
> >> Unfortunately it is not so easy to create an example directly because
> "20 years" contains antialiasing.
> > Yes, this requires that the original author does that (or shares a
> vector version of the original)
> >
> > This raises another question: in some versions of the AOO logos there is
> a TM and in others a R. Which is correct?
>
> There is only one source for the logos:
>
> https://www.apache.org/logos/?#openoffice
>
> As you might have noticed graphics were changed in the source and on the
> homepages recently.
> But as only one person (guess who?) does this it can take a while until
> everything is up to date.
>

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Apache_OpenOffice_logo_and_wordmark_(2014).svg
>
> This should be updated. The artwork is the same, except for the
> registered trademark.
>
> Regards,
>
> Matthias
>

> > Regards,
> > Pedro

Re: About 20th anniversary plans

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Czeslaw, all

> Pedro's proposal
> seems to me sort of "embarras de richesses" (in French: "confusing
> abundance").

I warned in advance that I am not a designer. In any case, without a vector version there is little that can be done...

> "Open-source for 20 years" does the job properly.

Fine by me. Can I move forward with this option?
Any votes against?

Regards,
Pedro

12345