About drawinglayer enhancement

Yan Peng Guo

HI~
Not sure which group should I send the mail to, so I send to DEV and
FEATURE both.
May I know is there any further plan of drawinglayer module enhancement? It
is very exciting to see there are many improvements in the module in OO3.3.
But I still found for some ODPs which containing complex meta files, the
performance is a bit slow, although already get great improvement comparing
with OO3.1.
I know there are many issues checked in for meta files in drawinglayer from
OO3.x. May I know is the improvement finished? Is this module still
improving now or will be in the future? If so, what is the focused area and
when will the work get to ready?
Thanks and Best Regards,

Clarence

Re: About drawinglayer enhancement

Armin Le Grand
Am 23.12.2010 08:01, schrieb Yan Peng Guo:

> HI~
> Not sure which group should I send the mail to, so I send to DEV and
> FEATURE both.
> May I know is there any further plan of drawinglayer module enhancement? It
> is very exciting to see there are many improvements in the module in OO3.3.
> But I still found for some ODPs which containing complex meta files, the
> performance is a bit slow, although already get great improvement comparing
> with OO3.1.
> I know there are many issues checked in for meta files in drawinglayer from
> OO3.x. May I know is the improvement finished? Is this module still
> improving now or will be in the future? If so, what is the focused area and
> when will the work get to ready?

Changes with Metafile format are never finished due to the grown nature
of those, but the most urgent is done. Changing more is risky and a
compatibility issue with older offices (since metafiles are streamed and
noone can change the code of released offices which stream in metafiles).

All in all the Drawinglayer (Model, View and Controller, UNO API, ...)
goes through slow but steady improvements which are the prerequisite for
further enhancements (e.g. double precision stuff, new interactions, ...).

It goes slow since we cannot simply write a new drawinglayer, noone
would be able to adapt the 11 users of it (not only the three big OOo
apps which use the drawinglayer pretty hard-coded, but many smaller
modules, too). Thus it has to be migrated from a situation where not
even model/view/controller was separated to a more modern, modularized
state.

The visualisation part (view) is refactored since 3.1 (using primtives),
working and stable. No showstoppers in this area at all for the last
release. Antialiasing is one of the results, but also this brought some
problems in areas where no big changes are possible and/or connections
to old, non-removable parts is needed, e.g. metafiles. Sigh.

Be ensured that we are working steadily on this. The next step is to
change the drawinglayer core to double precision (currently it's still
using 32-bit integer) and to homogen transformations (don't ask what it
is using currently :-)).

HTH for the moment,
Regards AW

> Thanks and Best Regards,
>
> Clarence

Re: About drawinglayer enhancement

Yan Peng Guo

Thank you, Armin
About the development in drawinglayer for double precision, may I know when we can see the change please? Will it be in OO3.4? Looking forward :-P

Armin Le Grand ---12/28/2010 08:21:47 PM---Am 23.12.2010 08:01, schrieb Yan Peng Guo:

Armin Le Grand <[hidden email]>

12/28/2010 08:21 PM

Re: [graphics-dev] About drawinglayer enhancement

Am 30.12.2010 06:41, schrieb Yan Peng Guo:
> Thank you, Armin
> About the development in drawinglayer for double precision, may I know
> when we can see the change please? Will it be in OO3.4? Looking forward :-P

It's CWS aw080 which has over 360.000 lines of code changes already.
Since the window for OOo3.4 code changes is near and this is a deep code
change, it will/shall be more 3.5...

<stuff deleted>

HTH for the moment,
Regards AW