Adding a new language

Yousef Qursha
Dear Sir/ Madam

I would like to add a new OpenOffice extension that can check the spelling
for "Kabardian Language".
The problem is that currently the language is not supported by Windows; not
having a locale or a language code for input. Furthermore they rejected a
request to get a LCID for the language.
It would be appreciated if you can provide us with an advice on how to
proceed to add this extension to your extensions list.

Best regards,
Y. Qursha

Re: Adding a new language

Andrea Pescetti-2
Yousef Qursha wrote:
> I would like to add a new OpenOffice extension that can check the spelling
> for "Kabardian Language".
> The problem is that currently the language is not supported by Windows; not
> having a locale or a language code for input. Furthermore they rejected a
> request to get a LCID for the language.

The LCID may help with compatibility but it is not a strict requirement.
It is more important to know whether you have some officially assigned
ISO code. Does such a code exist?

> It would be appreciated if you can provide us with an advice on how to
> proceed to add this extension to your extensions list.

Actually, adding a language is done in the main OpenOffice code (and you
will need a new OpenOffice release for it). Once a language has been
added that way, you can create an extension to provide spell-check for
documents in your language. You can also translate the entire OpenOffice
UI into your language if you wish.

Localization issues are generally discussed on the l10n list:

Please make sure you subscribe to the relevant mailing lists or you will
miss answers.

Regards,
   Andrea.