Alias for extensions and templates website

Alias for extensions and templates website

Bidouille
Hi team,

I often get it wrong between extension with or without s
This will be interesting to have a redirection with both

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Marcus (OOo)
Am 03.04.20 um 16:46 schrieb Bidouille:
> I often get it wrong between extension with or without s
> This will be interesting to have a redirection with both

can you give us a list where and on what webpage which variant is used?
Then we can see what to do.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Bidouille

> can you give us a list where and on what webpage which variant is
> used?
> Then we can see what to do.

extension.openoffice.org > https://extensions.openoffice.org
template.openoffice.org > https://templates.openoffice.org

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

David Robley

On 4/4/20 2:59 am, Marcus wrote:

> Am 03.04.20 um 16:46 schrieb Bidouille:
>> I often get it wrong between extension with or without s
>> This will be interesting to have a redirection with both
>
> can you give us a list where and on what webpage which variant is used?
> Then we can see what to do.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus

I suspect what is being asked is that template.openoffice.org redirect
to templates.openoffice.org and similarly with extension.openoffice.org.

However, template and extension are already aliased to
openoffice.apache.org which both lead to a 404 page

bash-4.3$ host template.openoffice.org
template.openoffice.org is an alias for openoffice.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org has address 40.79.78.1
openoffice.apache.org has address 95.216.24.32
openoffice.apache.org has IPv6 address 2a01:4f9:2a:185f::2
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-ec2-va.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 20 mx1-lw-us.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-he-de.apache.org.
bash-4.3$ host templates.openoffice.org
templates.openoffice.org is an alias for aoo-templates.sf.net.
aoo-templates.sf.net has address 216.105.38.11
bash-4.3$ host extension.openoffice.org
extension.openoffice.org is an alias for openoffice.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org has address 40.79.78.1
openoffice.apache.org has address 95.216.24.32
openoffice.apache.org has IPv6 address 2a01:4f9:2a:185f::2
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-ec2-va.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 20 mx1-lw-us.apache.org.
openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-he-de.apache.org.
bash-4.3$ host extensions.openoffice.org
extensions.openoffice.org is an alias for aoo-extensions.sf.net.
aoo-extensions.sf.net has address 216.105.38.11

Cheers
--
David Robley

[incredibly rude and childish comments deleted]

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Dave Fisher-3
Hi -

I plan to investigate what happens if we map those sub domains.

If you are on a Mac or Linux then you can modify your /etc/hosts file to test if a dns change will help. If it will then we can ask Infra to change the dns records.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 3, 2020, at 8:32 PM, David Robley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 4/4/20 2:59 am, Marcus wrote:
>>> Am 03.04.20 um 16:46 schrieb Bidouille:
>>> I often get it wrong between extension with or without s
>>> This will be interesting to have a redirection with both
>>
>> can you give us a list where and on what webpage which variant is used?
>> Then we can see what to do.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Marcus

> I suspect what is being asked is that template.openoffice.org redirect to templates.openoffice.org and similarly with extension.openoffice.org.
>
> However, template and extension are already aliased to openoffice.apache.org which both lead to a 404 page
>
> bash-4.3$ host template.openoffice.org
> template.openoffice.org is an alias for openoffice.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org has address 40.79.78.1
> openoffice.apache.org has address 95.216.24.32
> openoffice.apache.org has IPv6 address 2a01:4f9:2a:185f::2
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-ec2-va.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 20 mx1-lw-us.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-he-de.apache.org.
> bash-4.3$ host templates.openoffice.org
> templates.openoffice.org is an alias for aoo-templates.sf.net.
> aoo-templates.sf.net has address 216.105.38.11
> bash-4.3$ host extension.openoffice.org
> extension.openoffice.org is an alias for openoffice.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org has address 40.79.78.1
> openoffice.apache.org has address 95.216.24.32
> openoffice.apache.org has IPv6 address 2a01:4f9:2a:185f::2
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-ec2-va.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 20 mx1-lw-us.apache.org.
> openoffice.apache.org mail is handled by 10 mx1-he-de.apache.org.
> bash-4.3$ host extensions.openoffice.org
> extensions.openoffice.org is an alias for aoo-extensions.sf.net.
> aoo-extensions.sf.net has address 216.105.38.11
>

> Cheers
> --
> David Robley
>
> [incredibly rude and childish comments deleted]

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Andrea Pescetti-2
Dave Fisher wrote:
> I plan to investigate what happens if we map those sub domains.

I don't think we have an issue here. I mean, if someone writes
"extension" instead of the proper "extensions" this is just a typo,
right? By that metric, then we should also redirect "ww" to "www", typos
like "extentions" to "extensions" and so on. I don't think it is worth it.

> test if a dns change will help. If it will then we can ask Infra to change the dns records.

No, a DNS change is definitely not the way to go.

Thanks to the "universal redirect" we have in place to accommodate
legacy (pre-2011) openoffice.org subdomains, I think we can fix this as
follows:

- Right now, the wrong URL "extension.openoffice.org" goes to
http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/ (which does not exist)

- We simply put something there (and we can do this with a simple SVN
commit) like:
   ---
OpenOffice Extensions: see https://extensions.openoffice.org
OpenOffice Templates: see https://templates.openoffice.org
   ---
and no automated redirect.

Anything else will lead people to use wrong URLs and distribute them,
and will make any future changes more complex. This way we still help
people who write the wrong URL, but we make clear which URL is correct.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Jürgen Lange
+1

> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> I plan to investigate what happens if we map those sub domains.
>
> I don't think we have an issue here. I mean, if someone writes
> "extension" instead of the proper "extensions" this is just a typo,
> right? By that metric, then we should also redirect "ww" to "www",
> typos like "extentions" to "extensions" and so on. I don't think it is
> worth it.
>
>> test if a dns change will help. If it will then we can ask Infra to
>> change the dns records.
>
> No, a DNS change is definitely not the way to go.
>
> Thanks to the "universal redirect" we have in place to accommodate
> legacy (pre-2011) openoffice.org subdomains, I think we can fix this
> as follows:
>
> - Right now, the wrong URL "extension.openoffice.org" goes to
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/ (which does not exist)
>
> - We simply put something there (and we can do this with a simple SVN
> commit) like:
>   ---
> OpenOffice Extensions: see https://extensions.openoffice.org
> OpenOffice Templates: see https://templates.openoffice.org
>   ---
> and no automated redirect.
>
> Anything else will lead people to use wrong URLs and distribute them,
> and will make any future changes more complex. This way we still help
> people who write the wrong URL, but we make clear which URL is correct.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> I plan to investigate what happens if we map those sub domains.
>
> I don't think we have an issue here. I mean, if someone writes
> "extension" instead of the proper "extensions" this is just a typo,
> right? By that metric, then we should also redirect "ww" to "www",
> typos like "extentions" to "extensions" and so on. I don't think it is
> worth it.
>
>> test if a dns change will help. If it will then we can ask Infra to
>> change the dns records.
>
> No, a DNS change is definitely not the way to go.
>
> Thanks to the "universal redirect" we have in place to accommodate
> legacy (pre-2011) openoffice.org subdomains, I think we can fix this
> as follows:
>
> - Right now, the wrong URL "extension.openoffice.org" goes to
> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/ (which does not exist)
>
> - We simply put something there (and we can do this with a simple SVN
> commit) like:
>   ---
> OpenOffice Extensions: see https://extensions.openoffice.org
> OpenOffice Templates: see https://templates.openoffice.org
>   ---
> and no automated redirect.
That sounds good! Can you set up a simple page?

We can add some graphics afterwards...

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On 04/04/2020 Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/
> That sounds good! Can you set up a simple page?

Done yesterday, then I didn't publish as publish.pl is no longer working
for me, but someone did the right thing. I've now committed a slightly
improved version, but http://extension.openoffice.org already does the
right thing.

If this works, we setup the same for http://template.openoffice.org and
the request by Bidouille will be addressed.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Matthias Seidel
Hi Andrea,

> On 04/04/2020 Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/
>> That sounds good! Can you set up a simple page?
>
> Done yesterday, then I didn't publish as publish.pl is no longer
> working for me, but someone did the right thing. I've now committed a
> slightly improved version, but http://extension.openoffice.org already
> does the right thing.
Yes, I saw it and published right away.

> If this works, we setup the same for http://template.openoffice.org
> and the request by Bidouille will be addressed.

+1

Matthias

> Regards,
>   Andrea.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Alias for extensions and templates website

Marcus (OOo)

> On 04/04/2020 Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/extension/
>> That sounds good! Can you set up a simple page?
>
> Done yesterday, then I didn't publish as publish.pl is no longer working
> for me, but someone did the right thing. I've now committed a slightly
> improved version, but http://extension.openoffice.org already does the
> right thing.
>
> If this works, we setup the same for http://template.openoffice.org and
> the request by Bidouille will be addressed.

ah, then I now understand the reported problem. ;-)

Thanks for this quick solution.

Marcus