Amazing Bibus

brendel
Hi all,

I have just downloaded the newest version of Bibus 1.2.1 for windows
and I just wanted to share my appreciation with you.
Integration with OO2 works seamlessly (at least for me) : there is a
little macro that installes a pipe activating OO to accept UNO
connections and then OO uses the Bibus database.
Inserting references in OO is really easy, just position your
coursor, switch to Bibus, select your reference and hit CTRL-I. This
works within text as well as in footnotes and in endnotes.
Further you can create your journal style with many options really
comfortably and you can format as well the reference as the in-text
citation.
Also Bibus is able to show you all the references cited in your text
file
And much more.
Even importing my EndNote Refer or RIS output txt file was no problem
at all.
So, I think I have found the software that can replace EndNote for
OO, at least for my needs.
There is only one thing that I have found up to now that causes some
problems : there is no "City" field for BOOK and INBOOK references.
But this is a problem that already exists in the OO Bibliography
Database, also there is no City of publication field. This might be
something to keep in mind for future development.

Cheers

Oliver
Oliver Brendel
Nancy France

Re: Amazing Bibus

Martijn Werts
Hello,

Bibus 1.2.1 is indeed a nice and functional program. (I am not judging its
inner workings: I do not know what's under the hood of Bibus. All I know is
that it works)

I am currently starting to use it for "real" work. I use it with MS Word,
but I keep the option open to switch one day to OpenOffice, if Bibus is
indeed reliable enough and easy to use for an average Windows user.

It is not perfect yet: there are some minor glitches once in a while, for
example when importing/exporting certain data formats (author name
separators are lost etc.), but I am taking the gamble that these will be
simple to fix, and will indeed be fixed.

Although it installs under Windows straight "out-of-the-box" (there is a
good installer), it is not yet suited for the average Windows user,
especially someone who is used to EndNote, since certain operations are
confusing. But someone with a little knowledge of how computers work, and
who is willing to take a look at the Bibus Wiki (especially the community
portal contains nice HOWTOs of most common tasks) can use Bibus for the
normal bibliography management when writing research papers, proposals and
reports.

For Linux users, it will probably be no problem at all to use it, since
they are probably more familiair with the gory details of system
administration (or is that a silly prejudice? no offense intended)

I believe Bibus has the potential to evolve rapidly into an open-source,
cross-platform alternative to EndN*te for use with MSWord and OpenOffice. I
expect that most of the changes needed to turn it into a program that even
the simplest Windows user can use will be merely cosmetic (change of menu
items, additional dialogs, hiding "confusing" configuration parameters
under an "advanced settings" item), and that some of the
importing/exporting and formatting routines need tweaking.

I agree with Oliver Brendel that Bibus is really worth the try (taking into
account the usual risks of using open-source software...). I only hope that
development of Bibus will be able continue at a steady pace, and that
standing problems will be solved before new features are being added.

Best wishes
Martijn Werts
Rennes (also France, but that is purely accidental)

At 11:56 30/08/2006, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have just downloaded the newest version of Bibus 1.2.1 for windows
>and I just wanted to share my appreciation with you.
>Integration with OO2 works seamlessly (at least for me) : there is a
>little macro that installes a pipe activating OO to accept UNO
>connections and then OO uses the Bibus database.
>Inserting references in OO is really easy, just position your
>coursor, switch to Bibus, select your reference and hit CTRL-I. This
>works within text as well as in footnotes and in endnotes.
>Further you can create your journal style with many options really
>comfortably and you can format as well the reference as the in-text
>citation.
>Also Bibus is able to show you all the references cited in your text
>file
>And much more.
>Even importing my EndNote Refer or RIS output txt file was no problem
>at all.
>So, I think I have found the software that can replace EndNote for
>OO, at least for my needs.
>There is only one thing that I have found up to now that causes some
>problems : there is no "City" field for BOOK and INBOOK references.
>But this is a problem that already exists in the OO Bibliography
>Database, also there is no City of publication field. This might be
>something to keep in mind for future development.
>
>Cheers
>
>Oliver
>Oliver Brendel
>Nancy France

RE: Amazing Bibus

Julian Blanc-2
Hi

I'm not French ;-) but completely agree with both Oliver and Martijn. I
particularly like the fact that Bibus offers a choice of database backends
(SQLite and MySQL - though I wish the choice could be further expanded to
include others, such as PostgreSQL), and that it can be run in multi-user
mode.

Given that Bibus works with OOo, that it's open source (GPL) and cross
platform, wouldn't there be ample room for collaborative development with
the Bibliographic project? Often pooling forces is better than too much
diversity...

Cheers,

Julian
Nairobi, Kenya

Re: Amazing Bibus

Bruce D'Arcus
On 8/30/06, Julian Blanc <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that Bibus works with OOo, that it's open source (GPL) and cross
> platform, wouldn't there be ample room for collaborative development with
> the Bibliographic project? Often pooling forces is better than too much
> diversity...

The problems with OOo bib support are pretty low-level, and involve
the way that citations (and their metadata) are stored. Put simply, we
need to make it easier for applications like Bibus to plug-in and
provide rich functionality currently lacking. Part of the limitations
of Bibus, in fact, are because it had to use the eixsting weak data
support in ODF.

Oddly enough, the first real products of the OOoBib work are likely to
be first seen in a soon-to-be-released Firefox extension*, which will
probably first interface with MS Word ;-)

Bruce

* They're using the citation style language I wrote for this project.