Another new thread - THE WEATHERMAN

Pat McBride
I would like to start a new gripe and thread - talking about another public
servant - THE WEATHERMAN - whom we would trust with our last dollar, pound,
cowrie shell, or whatever.
The time is 18:57 hours, Pacific Daylight saving time.   The weather
forecast at 0800 hours, PDST, was for a 30% chance of rain for today, which
was true.  This is the forecast for this evening, and for the rest of the
week.
Tonight  Cloudy periods. 40 percent chance of showers this evening. Low plus
4 with risk of frost.
Sunday   Day: Cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers late in the day. High 14.
UV index 4 or moderate.
          Night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 6.
Monday  Showers. High 11.
Tuesday  Cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Low 8. High 18.
Wednesday  A mix of sun and cloud. Low 7. High 23.
My point: ==== IT'S POURING RAIN; A THUNDERSHOWER IS ON THE WAY; THE
MOSQUITOES ALL COME OUT WHEN IT RAINS, SO WE CAN'T WORK IN THE GARDEN; AND
THE WEATHER HAS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE THE SNOW LEFT IN THE MIDDLE OF
MAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :( :( :(.
Now, as I understand it, weathermen/women work for the Public Service of
Canada, and are [civil???] servants; as such, are employed by us Canadians
to give us ACCURATE forecasts of the weather.
Soooooooooooooo, I'll leave this thread open, and welcome your comments,
gentlepersons.
Pat

Re: Another new thread - THE WEATHERMAN

Jonathon Blake
On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Pat McBride wrote:

> to give us ACCURATE forecasts of the weather.

The major issue is that there aren't any permanent weather stations
out in the ocean.

xan

jonathon

RE: Another new thread - THE WEATHERMAN

Pat McBride
Sorry, but there are.  We have three off the Pacific Coast, in the northern waters off the Queen Charlotte Islands just south of Alaska.  If you check the US Coast Guard website, and the US Weather Office website, you can find all kinds of information about mid-ocean weather buoys that monitor not only the weather but ocean temperatures, ocean currents, El Nino and La Nina, ocean upwellings from deep in the ocean, and lots of other pertinent information.  You might also check the US Naval Observatory website, they've got lots of good information on a wide number of topics.

Here's a plug for the Coast Guards:

The US Coast Guard, and the Canadian Coast Guard, the Air Force Rescue Services, and the British service, are groups that I really admire.  I've worked with the Canadian Coast Guard on several occasions years ago, checking ships for drugs, offshore rescues, recovering drowning victims (UGH!), and visiting their station in Vancouver for really good coffee.  I've also worked with the Royal Canadian Airforce 442 Squadron, which do the Search and Rescue missions in B.C.  They seem to be able to land the choppers in a kid's plastic wading pool; the times I've dealt with them they've been landing on the lawn of a hospital to offload a casualty, the way they handle the choppers is a sight to behold.

I believe that the official motto of the US Coast Guard is Semper Paratus - Always Prepared -, their unofficial motto is - You have to go out, you don't always have to come back -.  They're all quite a bunch of heroes.

Pat