Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

Christos Kloukinas
Hi all,
 you may want to check out rtfbtx, a hacked collection of BibTeX styles for
doing bibliographies with MS Word & BibTeX.
It produces the bibliography in RTF format & uses bookmarks to link citations to
it.

I've tried using it with OpenOffice and it only works for the alpha style, since
for the rest I'm supposed to link to the "paragraph number" of the bookmark and
OO doesn't support such a thing.

It is available at:
http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ports/rtfbtx/

Regards,
  Christos
--
      Dr Christos Kloukinas  http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~kloukin
 Dep. of Computing, City Univ., Northampton Sq., London EC1V 0HB, U.K.

Re: Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

David Wilson-7
Christos,

Thanks for telling us about rtfbtx, I have placed a mention of it on the
'Bibliographic Software and Standards Information' wiki page -

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Bibliographic_Software_and_Standards_Information#rtfbtx

I have also emailed the developer, Diomidis Spinellis, (he is the author of
some books like 'Code Quality: The Open Source Perspective') asking if he
could offer any suggestions for OpenOffice users who might like to try
rtfbtx.

Regards

David

On Monday 08 May 2006 1:55 am, Christos Kloukinas wrote:

> Hi all,
>  you may want to check out rtfbtx, a hacked collection of BibTeX styles for
> doing bibliographies with MS Word & BibTeX.
> It produces the bibliography in RTF format & uses bookmarks to link
> citations to it.
>
> I've tried using it with OpenOffice and it only works for the alpha style,
> since for the rest I'm supposed to link to the "paragraph number" of the
> bookmark and OO doesn't support such a thing.
>
> It is available at:
> http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ports/rtfbtx/
>
> Regards,
>   Christos

Re: Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

Christos Kloukinas
Hi again,
 I've also found "BibTex4Word: This is a bibliographic add-in for
Microsoft Word that allows the citation in a Word document of references
from a BibTex database and the insertion into the document of a
bibliography using almost any BibTex style".
Haven't tried it yet though so don't know how/if it works.
Don't know what it would take to port it for OpenOffice - I'm completely
clueless about these template files.

It has been written by Dr Mike Brookes [1] - he offers the template
itself [2] & a short manual [3].

Cheers,
 Christos
[1] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/dmb.html
[2] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/perl/bibtex4word.dot
[3] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/perl/bibtex4word.doc

--
      Dr Christos Kloukinas  http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~kloukin
 Dep. of Computing, City Univ., Northampton Sq., London EC1V 0HB, U.K.
  +44 (0)20 7040 8848 (off.) / 0244 (fax) [hidden email]
    City Innovation Centre, 26-31 Whiskin St., 5th floor, room 506
 http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531526&Y=182606&A=Y&Z=1

Re: Re: Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

David Wilson-7
On Saturday 01 July 2006 6:37 am, Christos Kloukinas wrote:
> Hi again,
>  I've also found "BibTex4Word: This is a bibliographic add-in for
> Microsoft Word that allows the citation in a Word document of references
> from a BibTex database and the insertion into the document of a
> bibliography using almost any BibTex style".
> Haven't tried it yet though so don't know how/if it works.
> Don't know what it would take to port it for OpenOffice -

Thanks for drawing this to our attention.
I do not have a version MS office that will work with the template document
but I would guess the application is written in MS Visual Basic and is
included as a macro in the template.  To do the same thing in OpenOffice a
programmer would have to convert the Microsoft Visual Basic code to
OpenOffice Basic. This would be a major rewrite of the application as the two
languages and software structures they work with are different.

Two bibliographic programs which do work with OpenOffice are B3 and Bibus.

regards

David

> I'm completely
> clueless about these template files.
>
> It has been written by Dr Mike Brookes [1] - he offers the template
> itself [2] & a short manual [3].
>
> Cheers,
>  Christos
> [1] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/dmb.html
> [2] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/perl/bibtex4word.dot
> [3] http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/perl/bibtex4word.doc
>
> Christos Kloukinas wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >  you may want to check out rtfbtx, a hacked collection of BibTeX styles
> > for doing bibliographies with MS Word & BibTeX.
> > It produces the bibliography in RTF format & uses bookmarks to link
> > citations to it.
> >
> > I've tried using it with OpenOffice and it only works for the alpha
> > style, since for the rest I'm supposed to link to the "paragraph number"
> > of the bookmark and OO doesn't support such a thing.
> >
> > It is available at:
> > http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ports/rtfbtx/
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Christos

Re: Another "tool" for doing bibliographies (using MS Word & BibTeX)

Christos Kloukinas
Hi, judging from the path to the template in the URL, I'd say it's
written in Perl, so there might be hope after all.
Personally I don't know how to extract the contents of a template file
(this one has code, images for the menu buttons, etc).
If anyone knows how to do it, I'd love to hear about it.

Regards and thanks for the pointers to B3 & Bibus,
 Christos