Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Pedro
Hi all

Has it been agreed to do a feature freeze on branch 4.1.4?
If so are there any Release Candidate Windows binaries available?
The last one I tested (and worked pretty stable) was build 1781705 from
February 6th...

https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/win41x/

Can someone please share the download location for the latest builds?

Thanks!
Pedro

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Pedro,

The Windows buildbots are broken due to an update from Win 7 to Win 10.
Unfortunately we didn't find the time to fix them...

You can always see the status of our bots here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Buildbot+info

As soon as there are new builds to test, we will announce it here.

Regards, Matthias

BTW: I work with r1781705 on a daily base without any problems.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Pedro
Hi Matthias, all

> The Windows buildbots are broken due to an update from Win 7 to Win 10.
> Unfortunately we didn't find the time to fix them...

Yes, I am aware of that. I think that was a bad move from Apache.
Windows 7 is currently the most used OS worldwide. Updating to Windows
10 feels like compliance to Microsoft dictatorship...

> You can always see the status of our bots here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Buildbot+info

Yes, I also am aware of this.

> As soon as there are new builds to test, we will announce it here.

Ok. Thank you.
And please update
https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/

> BTW: I work with r1781705 on a daily base without any problems.

I didn't find any new problems in r1781705 but would rather test an
official RC to make sure.

Best regards,
Pedro

Am 14.06.2017 um 12:52 schrieb Pedro:
> Hi Matthias, all
>
>> The Windows buildbots are broken due to an update from Win 7 to Win 10.
>> Unfortunately we didn't find the time to fix them...
>
> Yes, I am aware of that. I think that was a bad move from Apache.
> Windows 7 is currently the most used OS worldwide. Updating to Windows
> 10 feels like compliance to Microsoft dictatorship...

Hi Pedro,

I will try to install a VM with Win10 next week and get the build going.
It is not only the OS, they updated the whole building environment and
we have to adapt to that. But that step is needed for the future anyhow...

>> You can always see the status of our bots here:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Buildbot+info
>
> Yes, I also am aware of this.
>
>> As soon as there are new builds to test, we will announce it here.
>
> Ok. Thank you.
> And please update
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/
Yes, that page is totally outdated and the script not maintained... But
it isn't needed anymore.
I will ask Infra to delete it (it's not on our server).

Matthias

>> BTW: I work with r1781705 on a daily base without any problems.
>
> I didn't find any new problems in r1781705 but would rather test an
> official RC to make sure.
>
> Best regards,
> Pedro
>
>> Am 11.06.2017 um 21:44 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Has it been agreed to do a feature freeze on branch 4.1.4?
>>> If so are there any Release Candidate Windows binaries available?
>>> The last one I tested (and worked pretty stable) was build 1781705
>>> from February 6th...
>>>
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/win41x/
>>>
>>> Can someone please share the download location for the latest builds?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Pedro

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Andrea Pescetti-2
Pedro wrote:
> And please update
> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/

That is not the right place. I mean, buildbots output is not for release
purposes. People interested in QA should download the builds that are
made available from time to time. I used to provide Linux builds and
I've now stopped so that QA can consolidate on Jim's builds at
http://home.apache.org/~jim/AOO-builds/ (yes, Windows is still missing
there; but this is unrelated to the broken buildbots).

> I didn't find any new problems in r1781705 but would rather test an
> official RC to make sure.

Those will be announced here when ready, but they will not be coming
from buildbots.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Kay Schenk-2
Hi all --

I'm a bit confused by the responses here. Is the plan to release AOO
4.1.4 for Win 7? or Win 10? or both? Apologies if this was previously
discussed and I didn't keep up with it.

On 06/14/2017 02:30 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Pedro,
>
> The Windows buildbots are broken due to an update from Win 7 to Win 10.
> Unfortunately we didn't find the time to fix them...
>
> You can always see the status of our bots here:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Buildbot+info
>
> As soon as there are new builds to test, we will announce it here.
>
> Regards, Matthias
>
> BTW: I work with r1781705 on a daily base without any problems.
>

> Am 11.06.2017 um 21:44 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Has it been agreed to do a feature freeze on branch 4.1.4?
>> If so are there any Release Candidate Windows binaries available?
>> The last one I tested (and worked pretty stable) was build 1781705
>> from February 6th...
>>
>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/install/win41x/
>>
>> Can someone please share the download location for the latest builds?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Pedro

MzK

"Every new beginning comes from some other
  beginning's end."
                  -- "Closing Time"
                      Semisonic

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Pedro
Hi Kay

> I'm a bit confused by the responses here. Is the plan to release AOO
> 4.1.4 for Win 7? or Win 10? or both? Apologies if this was previously
> discussed and I didn't keep up with it.

The Windows builds are supposed to work on all Windows versions.

It is OS in the Buildbots (computers used to compile daily builds) that
was upgraded by Apache from Windows 7 to Windows 10, thus making the
tools and compile scripts broken (Because Microsoft makes Software
Development Kits compatible with specific Windows versions. After all
they need to sell new SDK versions...)

Hope this is clear...

Regards,
Pedro

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Marcus (OOo)
Am 15.06.2017 um 19:23 schrieb Kay Schenk:
> I'm a bit confused by the responses here. Is the plan to release AOO
> 4.1.4 for Win 7? or Win 10? or both? Apologies if this was previously
> discussed and I didn't keep up with it.

I don't know of any changes compared to 4.1.3. Therefore I expext that
the same Windows versions will be supported.

Marcus

On 06/15/2017 10:43 AM, Marcus wrote:

> Am 15.06.2017 um 19:23 schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> I'm a bit confused by the responses here. Is the plan to release AOO
>> 4.1.4 for Win 7? or Win 10? or both? Apologies if this was previously
>> discussed and I didn't keep up with it.
>
> I don't know of any changes compared to 4.1.3. Therefore I expext that
> the same Windows versions will be supported.
>
> Marcus

Thank you Marcus and Pedro. Since I am not a Windows builder, I did not
know the philosophy behind building on Windows 10 (the ASF buildbots),
and having the output product work on all Windows platforms. I have
acquaintances who are still on Win 7, who would certainly like to use
4.1.4 when it gets released.

Kay Schenk wrote:
> the philosophy behind building on Windows 10 (the ASF buildbots),
> and having the output product work on all Windows platforms.

I wrote this many times already, but just to be sure nobody
misunderstands, we never released anything that was built by the
buildbots. So far, buildbots are only a way to ensure that the build
process can be successful in different environments. But the builds they
produce were never used as RCs or final builds.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Raphael Bircher-3
Hello Andrea, *

Am .06.2017, 18:53 Uhr, schrieb Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]>:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> the philosophy behind building on Windows 10 (the ASF buildbots),
>> and having the output product work on all Windows platforms.
>
> I wrote this many times already, but just to be sure nobody
> misunderstands, we never released anything that was built by the
> buildbots. So far, buildbots are only a way to ensure that the build
> process can be successful in different environments. But the builds they
> produce were never used as RCs or final builds.

Yea, that's the situation at the moment. But I really would like to see a
change there. If the buildbot doew build for the release, we have no
longer to to search for builder who does the "official" build. Also you
would have more consistence in the builds.

Only because we never did it before is not a reason to not do it, right?

Ok, 4.1.4 has to be done otherwise, but for the 4.2 Release... it would be
a solution.

Regards, Raphael

Re: Any 4.1.4 RC for Windows available for testing?

Peter Kovacs-2
+1

Raphael Bircher wrote:
> Ok, 4.1.4 has to be done otherwise, but for the 4.2 Release... it would
> be a solution.

Yes, this is always the same discussion... Sure, when and if the
buildbots are complete and usable they can be used. I wrote that this
didn't happen "so far". And judging from the speed with which buildbots
issues are fixed, it seems clear that discussing buildbots is useless
for 4.1.4; after 4.1.4 we can restart the usual buildbots discussion and
see if that time it will be different.

Regards,
   Andrea.