Any teams currently updating translations?

Any teams currently updating translations?

Andrea Pescetti-2
With 4.1.5 on its way to the final release, we are working to setup
Pootle for translating 4.2.0.

This requires significant work and we are still investigating details,
see the dev list archives for more:
https://lists.apache.org/list.html?dev@...
(part of the ongoing work is also to add new languages as discussed).

What is important for us now is to know whether any language teams are
updating translations on Pootle in this period. Since we are releasing
4.1.5 and there have been no string changes for a long time, I expect
that most teams are NOT updating strings right now, and a quick look at
the Pootle statistics confirms this.

However, if your team is updating translations right now, please send a
note in reply to this message so that we can agree in detail on when we
update Pootle for your language. Of course we will try to preserve all
work done so far in Pootle, but all languages will need some updates due
to code refactoring: from my initial estimates (see the dev list for all
details) languages that are 100% translated will need to update a few
hundreds strings.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any teams currently updating translations?

Pedro Albuquerque
Hi

Dick, thank you for your reply.

Andrea

I just checked and the pt_PT translation is 100% complete. As has been
for some time now.
As you might recall, I started translating AOO at
v.3.4 and simply completed translations in a hurry to make the v4
release. After that, I fully reviewed the UI and HELP translations and
I am still waiting for those reviews to be applied.
In all that time I translated and maintained up to date the WEBSITE and
all the RELEASE NOTES.

So, in reply to your message, please let me know what is there to
update and what must I do to see all my work made usefull.

Best regards,
Pedro

PS: if ever there will a pt_PT team, I would like to apply right now to
be the team leader with some extra privileges. After all, I'm
translating AOO for nearly 5 years completely alone. Or, if you prefer,
as a one man team.

Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> I fully reviewed the UI and HELP translations and
> I am still waiting for those reviews to be applied.

OK, this is indeed a common situation, as most languages haven't been
updated back from Pootle in years. The aim is to preserve this work,
even if (again, from my estimates; work is far from complete) there will
be a few hundreds strings that will need to be translated again, or
simply translated for the first time since some are new.

Do you have one example of an improved translation (like a menu or
something visible) that is in Pootle and is not yet in 4.1.5? We can use
it for testing the import.

> So, in reply to your message, please let me know what is there to
> update and what must I do to see all my work made usefull.

This will come later. For the moment we need to be sure that nobody is
actively updating translations. In other words, work done in Pootle from
now on will be lost unless we coordinate.

> PS: if ever there will a pt_PT team, I would like to apply right now to
> be the team leader with some extra privileges.

Yes, when I wrote "teams" the 1-man teams are included of course. When
somebody else joins, he is asked to follow directions from existing team
members, so this makes you a "team lead" in a natural way!

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any teams currently updating translations?

FR web forum
I checked french translation.
It is 100% complete.

FR web forum wrote:
> I checked french translation.
> It is 100% complete.

OK, so I assume this means you are not updating translations right now
(one can update translations even if they are at 100%, as in Pedro's
review effort discussed earlier).

Just to make it clear again:

- Pootle hasn't been touched at all yet; this will come at the end of a
lengthy process. At that point all languages will be incomplete since we
will all need to translate the new/moved strings in 4.2.0.

- We just need to know if people are updating translations right now. If
you are not, no problem. If you are, please e-mail this list.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any teams currently updating translations?

Pedro Albuquerque
Em Fri, 29 Dec 2017 10:55:38 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> > I fully reviewed the UI and HELP translations and
> > I am still waiting for those reviews to be applied.
>
> OK, this is indeed a common situation, as most languages haven't been
> updated back from Pootle in years. The aim is to preserve this work,
> even if (again, from my estimates; work is far from complete) there
> will be a few hundreds strings that will need to be translated again,
> or simply translated for the first time since some are new.
>
> Do you have one example of an improved translation (like a menu or
> something visible) that is in Pootle and is not yet in 4.1.5? We can
> use it for testing the import.

I only have 4.1.4 installed.
For example, open the form design toolbar. At the leftmost there is a
typcal selection arrow.
The tooltip reads "Reduzir". It should be "Seleccionar", if I remember
correctly.

And I'm not updating any translations right now. The downloading
feature for offline translation is missing and I like to keep copies of
my work. So, I'll wait for the new strings. Or email me in private if
you need further examples/help.

Regards,
Pedro

> > So, in reply to your message, please let me know what is there to
> > update and what must I do to see all my work made usefull.
>
> This will come later. For the moment we need to be sure that nobody
> is actively updating translations. In other words, work done in
> Pootle from now on will be lost unless we coordinate.
>
> > PS: if ever there will a pt_PT team, I would like to apply right
> > now to be the team leader with some extra privileges.
>
> Yes, when I wrote "teams" the 1-man teams are included of course.
> When somebody else joins, he is asked to follow directions from
> existing team members, so this makes you a "team lead" in a natural
> way!
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Re: Any teams currently updating translations?

FR web forum
> - We just need to know if people are updating translations right now.
> If
> you are not, no problem. If you are, please e-mail this list.

Just update a string yesterday in:
https://translate.apache.org/fr/aoo40help/helpcontent2/source/text/scalc/01.po

Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> For example, open the form design toolbar. At the leftmost there is a
> typcal selection arrow.
> The tooltip reads "Reduzir". It should be "Seleccionar", if I remember
> correctly.

Thanks, I'll check with trunk and this will be a good example.

> And I'm not updating any translations right now.

I see there is actually a team, or at least user "mansil" is changing
some strings. This is just for the record, no recent changes anyway.

> The downloading feature for offline translation is missing

It's not missing, but it's enabled only upon request. I've enabled it
for your account now.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Any teams currently updating translations?

Pedro Albuquerque
Em Fri, 29 Dec 2017 23:11:50 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> > For example, open the form design toolbar. At the leftmost there is
> > a typcal selection arrow.
> > The tooltip reads "Reduzir". It should be "Seleccionar", if I
> > remember correctly.
>
> Thanks, I'll check with trunk and this will be a good example.
>
> > And I'm not updating any translations right now.
>
> I see there is actually a team, or at least user "mansil" is changing
> some strings. This is just for the record, no recent changes anyway.

Yes, she insists on making changes on her own, without any discussion!

> > The downloading feature for offline translation is missing
>
> It's not missing, but it's enabled only upon request. I've enabled it
> for your account now.
Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Em Fri, 29 Dec 2017 23:11:50 +0100
> Andrea Pescetti <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>> Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
>>> The tooltip reads "Reduzir". It should be "Seleccionar", if I
>>> remember correctly.
>> Thanks, I'll check with trunk and this will be a good example.

I've tried rebuilding 4.1.5 with your Pootle strings.

I get these error that you should fix in Pootle:

pt/text/shared/05/00000001.xhp:45: parser error : Opening and ending tag
mismatch: paragraph line 45 and link
e especializadas na página Web do %PRODUCTNAME em &lt;link
href=\&quot;l</link>

pt/text/shared/autopi/01100100.xhp:48: parser error : Opening and ending
tag mismatch: switchinline line 48 and caseinline
line select="sys">&lt;caseinline
select=\&quot;MAC&quot;&gt;Command</caseinline> enquanto clica para

pt/text/simpress/guide/keyboard.xhp:52: parser error : Opening and
ending tag mismatch: body line 38 and paragraph
\&quot;sys\&quot;&gt;&lt;caseinline
select=\&quot;MAC\&quot;wn</item></paragraph

I've fixed them (on my local machine, not in Pootle) manually by
truncating the string to the purpose of testing, but this is not enough.
I'll have to run gsicheck to find out all of them.

This aside, unfortunately I still get some differences between Pootle
and the 4.1.5 code (about 97 strings): this is not your fault, it just
means that what we have in Pootle does not perfectly match 4.1.5.

>> I see there is actually a team, or at least user "mansil" is changing
>> some strings. This is just for the record, no recent changes anyway.
>>
> Yes, she insists on making changes on her own, without any discussion!

Well, you will need to coordinate for 4.2.0 when the time comes. In case
there is really a need for better control, we can give and take specific
permissions, but we tend to do that only when there is no better way.

On 29/12/2017 FR web forum wrote:
>> - We just need to know if people are updating translations right now.
>> If
>> you are not, no problem. If you are, please e-mail this list.
>
> Just update a string yesterday in:
> https://translate.apache.org/fr/aoo40help/helpcontent2/source/text/scalc/01.po

I've managed to build French from the latest Pootle strings, which would
be great news in itself, but now I'll need more details to double-check
whether the latest strings are included.

Your most recent change above is for a string that is unreachable in the
help in 4.1.5. Do you have an example of a string that is in Pootle
French (UI or Help) and that is also visible, and untranslated or
different, in OpenOffice 4.1.5 French?

Note: your Pootle strings are broken (only 2 of them). You should fix
them in Pootle.

Error: Translation, Line 54846, UniqueID
helpcontent2/source\text\simpress\guide\keyboard.xhp/help/par_id3155263/20//:
unexpected Tag: \</item\> at Position 107

Error: Translation, Line 54848, UniqueID
helpcontent2/source\text\simpress\guide\keyboard.xhp/help/par_id3145590/2//:
unexpected Tag: \</item\> at Position 109

These correspond to the following two strings:

helpcontent2 source\text\simpress\guide\keyboard.xhp 0 help
par_id3155263 20 0 fr <item type=\\"keycode\\"><switchinline
select=\\"sys\\"><caseinline select=\\"MAC\\"\\\\\\\\>+Page
suivante\</item\> 20171231 13:39:15

helpcontent2 source\text\simpress\guide\keyboard.xhp 0 help
par_id3145590 2 0 fr <item type=\\"keycode\\"><switchinline
select=\\"sys\\"><caseinline select=\\"MAC\\"\\\\\\\\>+Page
précédente\</item\> 20171231 13:39:15

Regards,
   Andrea.