Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS)

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS)

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

FYI, AOO 4.1.7 for OS/2 has been released:

https://www.bitwiseworks.com/news/#012020

I am happy to see my first bug fixes for OS/2 in "real life"! ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS)

Jim Jagielski
cool

> On Jan 31, 2020, at 10:28 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> FYI, AOO 4.1.7 for OS/2 has been released:
>
> https://www.bitwiseworks.com/news/#012020
>
> I am happy to see my first bug fixes for OS/2 in "real life"! ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

Audience for AOO (Was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS))

Jim Jagielski
This news about AOO for OS/2 got me thinking... one of the things that I think is special about AOO, and something that we should pride ourselves on, and classify as an advantage, is that we try to make AOO usable for an extremely wide range of users.

Now sure, if you are running the latest version of Linux, on a high-end machine, and needs lots of bells and whistles, then other Office suites are likely more tailored for your setup. But that fact is that most of the world, especially in developing countries, don't have that luxury. And yet they *STILL* need a workable Office suite. And it's here that AOO shines.

AOO Is The Open Source Office Suite For The Rest Of The World.

Re: Audience for AOO (Was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS))

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Jim

> Now sure, if you are running the latest version of Linux, on a high-end machine, and needs lots of bells and
> whistles, then other Office suites are likely more tailored for your setup.

Actually I'm running a high-end machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (soon to be updated to 20.04 LTS) and I prefer OpenOffice because of the stability.

Additionally although some say the interface is outdated, it is easier (and more efficient) for me to manage a team who is using the same interface (regardless of OS) with logical menus and that this interface does not change from version to version.

> But that fact is that most of the world, especially in developing countries, don't have that luxury. And yet
> they *STILL* need a workable Office suite. And it's here that AOO shines.
>
> AOO Is The Open Source Office Suite For The Rest Of The World.

I do agree on this one. What would be a great bonus for The Rest of The World (especially for those on slow dial-up connections) is cumulative updates (instead of having to download a 100+ MB full installer for every point update).
This was previously tested with success on the Windows version. Is it not possible to create a crowdfund and bounty to add an incremental update feature like in Firefox?

Best regards,
Pedro

Re: Audience for AOO (Was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS))

Damjan Jovanovic
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 6:00 PM Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jim
>
> > Now sure, if you are running the latest version of Linux, on a high-end
> machine, and needs lots of bells and
> > whistles, then other Office suites are likely more tailored for your
> setup.
>
> Actually I'm running a high-end machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (soon to be
> updated to 20.04 LTS) and I prefer OpenOffice because of the stability.

The stability cannot be overstated. I have to use a related office suite as
well, but despite some improvements, it has endless, ongoing regressions.
Every release manages to break something new.

Damjan

Re: Audience for AOO (Was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS))

Patricia Shanahan
On 1/31/2020 8:35 AM, Damjan Jovanovic wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 6:00 PM Pedro Lino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jim
>>
>>> Now sure, if you are running the latest version of Linux, on a high-end
>> machine, and needs lots of bells and
>>> whistles, then other Office suites are likely more tailored for your
>> setup.
>>
>> Actually I'm running a high-end machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (soon to be
>> updated to 20.04 LTS) and I prefer OpenOffice because of the stability.
>>

> The stability cannot be overstated. I have to use a related office suite as
> well, but despite some improvements, it has endless, ongoing regressions.
> Every release manages to break something new.

My brother is not a programmer, but has been using computers since the
1960's and is technically competent (retired UK chartered engineer).
When I mentioned that I had joined the AOO project, he thanked me
because he uses it. It has all the features he needs, and he does not
want regressions or having to learn new interfaces every year.

RE: Audience for AOO (Was: Re: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 for OS/2 (and OS/2 based systems like ArcaOS))

Jörg Schmidt-2

Very true. Stability is the strength of OpenOffice and stability is the foundation of everything else.

I also don't see any high-end Linux for which there is a better office than OpenOffice, especially LibreOffice is much too inconsistent in development - regression bugs again and again, unfinished new functions and a release cycle that is completely out of practice.

OpenOffice is explicitly preferable for any kind of macro project, because LibreOffice causes considerable additional costs for repeatedly necessary corrections in the macros to compensate regression bugs of LO.

greetings
Jörg