Quantcast

Apache OpenOffice NG

Raphael Bircher-3
Hi all

Apache OpenOffice NG stands for New Generation. I know, this thread is
difficult. Just sit down, relax and read it. This is just a brainstorm. We
don't talk now if it's possible or not.

What would happened if we drop the product but not the project? Drop the
binaries and just doing source Release. The idea is to hand over the final
products (can be a variety of products) to third party organizations
(Companies, whatever). The Project remains open to provide a common
codebase.

I know, this is a complete different way. At first i said: "NO, NEVER",
but if I start thinking a bit longer I also see the big chances in.

Maybe we should say goodbye to the idea of the one big office suite who
try to serve all the peoples needs and start to think in direction of
smaller office tools who are customized for a User Group.

What you think about this, the tread is open for inputs, ideas and so on.

Regards Raphael

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Damjan Jovanovic
Anyone can already develop smaller office tools for certain groups. Third
party organizations can provide their own derivatives (eg. NeoOffice,
LibreOffice already do).

I don't see what this would allow, that the current model doesn't?

Regards
Damjan

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Raphael Bircher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Apache OpenOffice NG stands for New Generation. I know, this thread is
> difficult. Just sit down, relax and read it. This is just a brainstorm. We
> don't talk now if it's possible or not.
>
> What would happened if we drop the product but not the project? Drop the
> binaries and just doing source Release. The idea is to hand over the final
> products (can be a variety of products) to third party organizations
> (Companies, whatever). The Project remains open to provide a common
> codebase.
>
> I know, this is a complete different way. At first i said: "NO, NEVER",
> but if I start thinking a bit longer I also see the big chances in.
>
> Maybe we should say goodbye to the idea of the one big office suite who
> try to serve all the peoples needs and start to think in direction of
> smaller office tools who are customized for a User Group.
>
> What you think about this, the tread is open for inputs, ideas and so on.
>
> Regards Raphael
>
> --
> My introduction https://youtu.be/Ln4vly5sxYU

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Jorg Schmidt

> From: Raphael Bircher [mailto:[hidden email]]

> Apache OpenOffice NG stands for New Generation. I know, this
> thread is
> difficult. Just sit down, relax and read it. This is just a
> brainstorm. We
> don't talk now if it's possible or not.
>
> What would happened if we drop the product but not the
> project? Drop the
> binaries and just doing source Release. The idea is to hand
> over the final
> products (can be a variety of products) to third party organizations
> (Companies, whatever). The Project remains open to provide a common
> codebase.
>
> I know, this is a complete different way. At first i said:
> "NO, NEVER",
> but if I start thinking a bit longer I also see the big chances in.

Everything you propose can be done today, there is no need for a separate
decision.

Your mistake is (imho) to believe that a decision from us would automatically
increase the interest of third party organizations.

> Maybe we should say goodbye to the idea of the one big office
> suite who
> try to serve all the peoples needs and start to think in
> direction of
> smaller office tools who are customized for a User Group.

I do not read the word "cloud", but I am afraid that is meant.

In this case, I say: I need, even in the future, a _desktop_ office. For me this
is a question of security, because in today's reality, the cloud is only safe
until the next hacker attack.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Am 22.04.2017 um 10:02 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> In this case, I say: I need, even in the future, a _desktop_ office. For me this
> is a question of security, because in today's reality, the cloud is only safe
> until the next hacker attack.

"There is no cloud, just other people's computers."

But if you put your own cloud on your own computers, you can enjoy the
advantages of a cloud without facing the drawbacks.

Kind regards
Michael

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Jorg Schmidt
> From: Dr. Michael Stehmann [mailto:[hidden email]]

> > In this case, I say: I need, even in the future, a
> _desktop_ office. For me this
> > is a question of security, because in today's reality, the
> cloud is only safe
> > until the next hacker attack.
> >
> "There is no cloud, just other people's computers."
>
> But if you put your own cloud on your own computers, you can enjoy the
> advantages of a cloud without facing the drawbacks.

Yes, I can do it, but it does not give me any advantage over a classic desktop
office.

Note: under a cloud office I understand an Office running in the browser, a normal
Desktop Office, installed in the LAN(*), is for me not a cloud office.

(*)
in the case of OO that means a "server installation" with: setup.exe /a

Jörg

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Dr. Michael Stehmann-2
Am 22.04.2017 um 10:46 schrieb Jörg Schmidt:

> Note: under a cloud office I understand an Office running in the browser, a normal
> Desktop Office, installed in the LAN(*), is for me not a cloud office.

Yes, cloud means more than a server installation.

Kind regards
Michael

P.S.: Why should I install Apache OpenOffice on a server under wine? ;-)

Re: Apache OpenOffice NG

Jorg Schmidt
> From: Dr. Michael Stehmann [mailto:[hidden email]]

> P.S.: Why should I install Apache OpenOffice on a server
> under wine? ;-)

Sorry, but my technical knowledge is far better than my English and I hoped that a
concrete example would create more clarity than a linguistically imprecise
statement.

Jörg