Apple Dumping Intel.

Steve Lubbs
Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?

Steve

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Matthias Seidel
Hi Steve,

Am 22.12.20 um 02:33 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
> Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
> Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?

Of course there are thoughts about that. But given our little resources
it will take some time.

Meanwhile, the Intel version for mac works seamless via Rosetta 2 on an
ARM mac.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Steve

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Peter Kovacs-3

On 22.12.20 11:07, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Am 22.12.20 um 02:33 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
>> Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
>> Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?
> Of course there are thoughts about that. But given our little resources
> it will take some time.

Yea we are moving slowly. So we could use more Mac Developers :)

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 22.12.20 um 11:31 schrieb Peter Kovacs:

> On 22.12.20 11:07, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Am 22.12.20 um 02:33 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
>>> Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
>>> Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?
>> Of course there are thoughts about that. But given our little resources
>> it will take some time.
>
> Yea we are moving slowly. So we could use more Mac Developers :)
Not only for mac...

Matthias

>> Meanwhile, the Intel version for mac works seamless via Rosetta 2 on an
>> ARM mac.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>
>>> Steve

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Matthias Seidel
Hi Steve,

Am 22.12.20 um 02:33 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
> Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
> Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?

Disclaimer: I am not a developer nor do I own a mac... ;-)

But what I understand is that Apple lets you compile the code into a
"Universal Binary".
That UB does contain the code for Intel *and* ARM.
It will only install the native version depending on the platform.

Advantage: We only need to provide one package for both systems.
The downside would be the increased size of the downloadable binary.

That said, I don't know how difficult that process will be...

Regards,

   Matthias

> Steve

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Jim Jagielski
Yes, all this is very similar when Apple moved from the PowerPC to Intel, many
many moons ago. In fact, there was a time when you could have *3* versions:
x86 32bit, PowerPC, and x86-64 64bit, all in 1 single bundle/binary.

> On Dec 23, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Steve,
>
> Am 22.12.20 um 02:33 schrieb Steve Lubbs:
>> Has there been any thought given to moving/creating an OSX port to
>> Apple's up coming Apple Silicon RISC CPU?
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a developer nor do I own a mac... ;-)
>
> But what I understand is that Apple lets you compile the code into a
> "Universal Binary".
> That UB does contain the code for Intel *and* ARM.
> It will only install the native version depending on the platform.
>
> Advantage: We only need to provide one package for both systems.
> The downside would be the increased size of the downloadable binary.
>
> That said, I don't know how difficult that process will be...
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> Steve

Re: Apple Dumping Intel.

Steve Lubbs
Yes, that will stave off the inevitable for a while but, correct me if
I'm wrong, that support wasn't available for all that long in the scheme
of things. Either way it does give us some breathing room.