Application Start Page Question

Dave Fisher-2
I’ve always wondered why the Start page of the Application does not match our names for the various components of the Suite?

Writer is Text Document
Calc is Spreadsheet
Impress is Presentation
Draw is Drawing
Base is Database
Math is Formula

The “New” menu has the same on the drop down.

I’m not suggestion change.

Regards,
Dave

RE: Application Start Page Question

Jörg Schmidt-2

But as far as "New" is concerned, the menu is completely called File-New (and not Window-New) and I find a new file is e.g. a text document. "Writer" would be the term for a new Writer window, but that would not correspond to the name of the menu.
This is a possible explanation of the menu, not an explicit defense of the menu.

I've read that you don't suggest any changes, but I'd like to point out: please let's not spend time on menu changes, in LibreOffice the menu changes are an absolute nuisance, because you have to search all the time.

Jörg

Re: Application Start Page Question

Dave Fisher-2

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

Application Window vs. Document type is a good explanation. Thank you.

> I've read that you don't suggest any changes, but I'd like to point out: please let's not spend time on menu changes, in LibreOffice the menu changes are an absolute nuisance, because you have to search all the time.

Exactly! Such changes are Downgrades and certainly not an update or upgrade!

Regards,
Dave

> Jörg

Re: Application Start Page Question

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

Am 17.11.20 um 20:21 schrieb Dave Fisher:

>> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Jörg Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's also the reason why you see icons for the document type and not
for the application.

I always found it logical to choose "Text Document", when I wanted to
create a text document. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Application Start Page Question

Dave Fisher-2

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,

And on www.openoffice.org/product we have icons next to:
- [Writer](writer.html "Wordprocessor") a word processor you can use for
    anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
  - [Calc](calc.html "Spreadsheet") a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools
    you need to calculate, analyze, and present your data in numerical reports
    or sizzling graphics.
  - [Impress](impress.html "Presentation program") the fastest, most powerful
    way to create effective multimedia presentations.
  - [Draw](draw.html "Vector drawing tool") lets you produce everything from
    simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
  - [Base](base.html "Database") lets you manipulate databases seamlessly.
    Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within
    Apache OpenOffice.
  - [Math](math.html "Mathematical function creator") lets you create
    mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing
    your formulas into the equation editor.
It looks like these descriptions need some editing to more consistently tie the document type with the window type.

Regards,
Dave

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>>> I've read that you don't suggest any changes, but I'd like to point out: please let's not spend time on menu changes, in LibreOffice the menu changes are an absolute nuisance, because you have to search all the time.
>> Exactly! Such changes are Downgrades and certainly not an update or upgrade!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> Jörg

Re: Application Start Page Question

Dave Fisher-2
Here’s how the Documentation project answered my question.

From https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation on the lower left.

Frequently Asked Questions
        • General Questions
        • Installing OpenOffice.org
        • Working with Text Documents (Writer)
        • Working with Spreadsheets (Calc)
        • Working with Drawings (Draw)
        • Working with Presentations (Impress)
        • Working with Formulae (Math)
        • Working with Databases (Base)
        • Macros

> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:37 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 17, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave,

Czesław Wolański
Hi,

First, let me state the obvious.
Extended tips are activated - then in the AOO Center hovering mouse over
one of the six items
(Text document, Spreadsheet etc.) displays an entry from the Help:

"The document icons each open a new document of the specified type."

AOO Help for Start Center:

"(...)
You see the Start Center when no document is open in OpenOffice.
Click an icon to open a new document or a file dialog.
The document icons each open a new document of the specified type.
1. Text Document opens OpenOffice Writer
2. Spreadsheet opens OpenOffice Calc
3. Presentation opens OpenOffice Impress
4. Drawing opens OpenOffice Draw
5. Database opens OpenOffice Base
6. Formula opens OpenOffice Math
The Templates icon opens the Templates and Documents dialog.
The Open icon presents a file open dialog."

I second Jörg's and Matthias' opinions - user comfort (UX) and logic shall
prevail.
Yet it is true that the Start Center per se does not emphasize in any way
the names of components of the Suite.
Who reads the AOO Help or activates the extended tips for good?
(should the latter become context-sensitive).

Just my 2¢.

BTW:

> I've read that you don't suggest any changes, but I'd like to point out:
> please let's not spend time on menu changes,
> in LibreOffice the menu changes are an absolute nuisance,
>because you have to search all the time.
>

>>Exactly! Such changes are Downgrades and certainly not an update or
upgrade!

Based on my experience with LibreOffice, I would call it "a degrade". ;‑)

Regards,
Czesław Wolański