Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

Ahmad Alawsie
Hi all,

I have managed, in the last week or so since registering for the Pootle service, to complete translating & reviewing the last 5000ish words remaining for the Arabic language, and now I am wondering what happens. So on the website: https://www.openoffice.org/ar/ .... it mentions how the translation of the user interface is at 94%, but that is when I joined the Pootle service, and now it is at 100%, so shouldn’t the website mentioned above be updated to announce that the Arabic language will be made available for Apache OpenOffice 4. 1. 5?? And will the Arabic language be made available for the newest version of OpenOffice?????

Kind regards,

Ahmad A

Forgot to mention that I am a university student...

Ahmad Alawsie
Hi all,

I know I have been emailing quite a lot and I have been here for a while now, but I just want to point out to the relevant admins/individuals, that I am a 3rd year university student and that I am conducting translation work on this project because this is for my work, and I have to contribute to an Open Source project, and that my contributions have to be verified by being accepted. Is there anyway that this can be verified for my professor to see?

Kind regards,

Ahmad A

Re: Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 06/02/2018 Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> I have managed, in the last week or so since registering for the Pootle service, to complete translating & reviewing the last 5000ish words remaining for the Arabic language, and now I am wondering what happens.

Thanks! Now what should normally happen is... well, let me divide theory
and practice.

Theory: we import your translation from Pootle into SDF files. See
https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/ode_localization/ (from last
week) for the process overview. Then you and someone else verify that
the translation works well on some test builds. Then we add it to
supported languages and the next version is distributed in Arabic too.

Practice (all of these issues are not for Arabic but for all languages,
since we have been reviving the project but there is still a lot of work
to do): Pootle is not aligned with the latest code; being 100% in Pootle
does not mean that you are OK for the next (say, 4.2.0) release, and
unfortunately it is not aligned perfectly with 4.1.5 either. I
anticipate a large number of problems when we try to build the SDF file.
I've been trying the same for French and Portuguese, two languages that
I can read much better than Arabic, and I still have issues. So we will
need to be in contact about all the broken strings and check why they
are broken, one by one: it may be that the translation is broken, but in
the Portuguese case the translation in Pootle is correct and the export
is faulty, or at least this is where the latest investigations are leading.

> So on the website: https://www.openoffice.org/ar/ .... it mentions how the translation of the user interface is at 94%

It can stay since the Help is still untranslated, as Keith pointed out.
Actually the fact that the help is untranslated could even be an
advantage, since if I recall correctly the issues with French and
Portuguese are all in the Help.

>  will the Arabic language be made available for the newest version of OpenOffice?

That is the aim. As explained above, it still needs work on our (mine)
side, on your side in response to that, and possibly on the
infrastructure side to fix the export. All of us are volunteers, so
things take time. But with a bit of patience we can manage.

Do you have any recent 64-bit Linux systems available for testing? In
that platform I can provide builds myself so we can skip some steps. If
you only have Windows/Mac available, someone else must do the builds and
this needs more coordination.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Forgot to mention that I am a university student...

Andrea Pescetti-2
On 06/02/2018 Ahmad Alawsie wrote:
> I have to contribute to an Open Source project, and that my contributions have to be verified by being accepted. Is there anyway that this can be verified for my professor to see?

If you mean that they must be visible, you already have plenty of
visibility with the web references to our Pootle installation and with
the issues you opened on Github.

If you instead mean that they should get some quality check and become
actually useful, then we will now have to work together to get in
included, as I explained in the other discussion. The first step is for
me (i.e., at least build Arabic for Linux starting from the old files,
so that we can measure the difference). I'll continue the other
conversation when I have something, but it will likely require a few days.

If you need some "official" certification, we can look into it, even
though the best way would probably be to have a blog post on the
OpenOffice blog where we explain your work.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Arabic translation complete for Apache OpenOffice 4.x

YoheY - OpenOffice
Hi Andrea,

Reflecting on this few sentences, I remember you solved a problem
connected to the Hungarian website. The strange behaviour occured
because of the difference of Linux / Windows line breaks. Non-visible
characters still can cause similar faults here too. Just an idea.

Regards,

csaba