Australian Medical Dictionary

Russell Butler
Hello all

  I wonder if there would be a kind soul who would help me transform the
Australian Medical dictionary into an extension. I have just sent a new
version containing some 78000 words for the 2.0 series to justlocal.com
where the original 6000 or so word version was hosted. I would like to
also make it available for 3+ series users.

I'm sure that I could play around for a while and work out how to do it,
but I am a medico, not a programmer and I don't think I actually need to
acquire the knowledge at my stage of life  - heading into dotage ;-)

I've learnt how to munch files, etc, so I think it's just the mechanism
of building the .oxt file to contain the dictionary and negotiating the
hurdles of nomenclature I will need help with.

Thanks for any offers.

Russell

Re: Australian Medical Dictionary

David Wilson-7
Russell,

              I am willing to help me transform the Australian Medical
dictionary into an extension. I have recently done the Australian
English Dictionary.

regards

David Wilson

Russell Butler wrote:

> Hello all
>
>  I wonder if there would be a kind soul who would help me transform
> the Australian Medical dictionary into an extension. I have just sent
> a new version containing some 78000 words for the 2.0 series to
> justlocal.com where the original 6000 or so word version was hosted. I
> would like to also make it available for 3+ series users.
>
> I'm sure that I could play around for a while and work out how to do
> it, but I am a medico, not a programmer and I don't think I actually
> need to acquire the knowledge at my stage of life  - heading into
> dotage ;-)
>
> I've learnt how to munch files, etc, so I think it's just the
> mechanism of building the .oxt file to contain the dictionary and
> negotiating the hurdles of nomenclature I will need help with.
>
> Thanks for any offers.
>
> Russell

Re: Australian Medical Dictionary

thomas.lange

Hi Russel,

Russell Butler wrote:

> Hello all
>
>   I wonder if there would be a kind soul who would help me transform the
> Australian Medical dictionary into an extension. I have just sent a new
> version containing some 78000 words for the 2.0 series to justlocal.com
> where the original 6000 or so word version was hosted. I would like to
> also make it available for 3+ series users.
>
> I'm sure that I could play around for a while and work out how to do it,
> but I am a medico, not a programmer and I don't think I actually need to
> acquire the knowledge at my stage of life  - heading into dotage ;-)
>
> I've learnt how to munch files, etc, so I think it's just the mechanism
> of building the .oxt file to contain the dictionary and negotiating the
> hurdles of nomenclature I will need help with.
>
> Thanks for any offers.
>
> Russell

Well, If you can wait some more days, let's say until somewhere next
week, I'm willing to do that for you.

In the meantime you can have a look at

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/index.php?title=Extension_Dictionaries

and try for yourself by downloading e.g. one of the French dictionaries.
After that you just need to rename it from oxt to zip and unzip the
archive to see it's content. Then you can try by removing the French
dictionary files and adding your own files. After that you basically
just need to edit the description.xml and the dictionary.xcu.

But if you are patient and want to wait for me, then please decide on
the following (you can read about all of them in the sample
description.xml listed in the above link):
  - the locales to use this dictionary with
  - the license text (if any)
  - a version number for the extension
  - the display-name
  - and an identifier for the extension.
If you provide me with the answers to these items and attach the license
text and the dictionary files I will create the extension for you.

Regards,
Thomas