Auto Correct question

Kimberly Wise
HelloI am working on a spreadsheet that needs to have certainwording. Specifically I am trying to put in the phrase RTsCarswithout the hyphen but with the capitalization. Every time I put it in the T becomes lowercase. I need it tobe uppercase. Is there a way to format the cells to NOT auto correct toRtsCars and allow it to be RTsCars?Thank you in advance. Kimberly

Re: Auto Correct question

Gary Aitken
On 05/27/17 18:11, Kimberly Wise wrote:
> HelloI am working on a spreadsheet that needs to have certainwording.
> Specifically I am trying to put in the phrase RTsCarswithout the
> hyphen but with the capitalization. Every time I put it in the T
> becomes lowercase. I need it tobe uppercase. Is there a way to format
> the cells to NOT auto correct toRtsCars and allow it to be
> RTsCars?Thank you in advance. Kimberly

Under Tools/AutoCorrect Options:
   Options Tab
     Deselect "Correct TWo INitial CApitals

Re: Auto Correct question

Brian Barker
At 00:11 28/05/2017 +0000, Kimberly Wise wrote:
>I am working on a spreadsheet that needs to have certain wording.
>Specifically I am trying to put in the phrase RTsCars without the
>hyphen but with the capitalization. Every time I put it in the T
>becomes lowercase. I need it to be uppercase. Is there a way to
>format the cells to NOT auto correct to RtsCars and allow it to be RTsCars?

There is more than one way to do this, and it is worth knowing about
all of them. The simple answer to your question, as you've expressed
it, is to remove the tick from Tools | AutoCorrect Options... |
Options | Correct TWo INitial CApitals. But you can keep the
advantage of that facility whilst still solving your problem in other ways.

o You can bypass the automatic correction by typing ="RTsCars"
(exactly like that) into a cell. That creates a formula with the
appropriate value and display, which may be enough. If you want just
the text itself, you can copy what is in the cell and paste it back
over itself using Paste Special... and ensuring that Formulae is
*not* ticked. This is much easier than it sounds - especially if you
use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Shift+V.

o Why type such an entry more than once? If you have designed your
spreadsheet sensibly, you are likely to be entering this text into
cells in a single column, or perhaps in a few specific columns.
Select the column header and go to Data | Validity... | Criteria. For
Allow, choose List. Ensure "Show selection list" is ticked. Enter
possible values into the Entries box. Note that - conveniently - the
automatic correction does not apply here. Now when you select a cell
in the column, you will see a down-arrow button to the right of the
cell; click this and you will be offered the selection list: no need
to type the text again and no problem with automatic correction.

o Even without using Data | Validity, you can reuse values already in
the same column. Select the new cell. Press Ctrl+D (or right-click |
Selection List...) to display a list of values already in the column.
Click your choice to enter it again.

Entering the same value many times into any document is a recipe for
error, so techniques such as the above, although they may seem extra
work, will repay dividends.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker