Auto Spell Check not working on laptop, but does on desktop

Auto Spell Check not working on laptop, but does on desktop

David & Louise Koch
Using Win10 Home, up to date.

I mostly use my desktop computer to write a text file using AOO, but am
on the road now and had to use my laptop (Lenovo U430) to write a
one-page text article for someone.  I was puzzled to find that the auto
spell check did not work, as it does on my desktop at home.

I checked settings, looked for solutions (mostly found from 2012 - Win7)
and tried many to no avail.  Am using simple US-English, the default
language.  The ABC underscore button is highlighted. In Tools \ Language
"For Selection" USA-English is always checked, but in "for Paragraph"
and "for All Text", USA-English is not checked and checking them
manually does not "stick".  Starting a new File\Text Document does not
improve the situation.

When I get home I'll compare settings in the two computers, but in the
meantime, do you have any suggestions to get auto spell check to work?

--David

Re: Auto Spell Check not working on laptop, but does on desktop

Steven Ahlers
The following link from the users forum links to how to reset your users profile, the most common source of this problem.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=89052

The most common cause of this problem is caused by a too hasty shutdown or closing of top of laptop  before allowing OpenOffice to finish closing out files (general housekeeping).

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 6, 2019, at 6:43 PM, David & Louise Koch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Using Win10 Home, up to date.
>
> I mostly use my desktop computer to write a text file using AOO, but am on the road now and had to use my laptop (Lenovo U430) to write a one-page text article for someone.  I was puzzled to find that the auto spell check did not work, as it does on my desktop at home.
>
> I checked settings, looked for solutions (mostly found from 2012 - Win7) and tried many to no avail.  Am using simple US-English, the default language.  The ABC underscore button is highlighted. In Tools \ Language "For Selection" USA-English is always checked, but in "for Paragraph" and "for All Text", USA-English is not checked and checking them manually does not "stick".  Starting a new File\Text Document does not improve the situation.
>
> When I get home I'll compare settings in the two computers, but in the meantime, do you have any suggestions to get auto spell check to work?
>
> --David

Re: Auto Spell Check not working on laptop, but does on desktop

Steven Ahlers
Forwarding to list.

Sent from my iPhone