AutoCorrect as Extension?

Marcin Miłkowski
Hi,

is it possible to have AutoCorrect items installable as an extension for
a particular language? If AutoText is installable, then maybe
AutoCorrect as well?

Thanks for any tip,
Marcin

Re: AutoCorrect as Extension?

Mathias Bauer
Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to have AutoCorrect items installable as an extension for
> a particular language? If AutoText is installable, then maybe
> AutoCorrect as well?

I'm not sure about this. You can check this by yourself by adding
additional folders to the corresponding pathes in the path settings. If
access content in them basically works the same should be true for
extensions. There still might be some smaller bugs to fix though (e.g.
making such entries non-changeable).

If additional folders don't work then extensions won't work also. The
effort to fix that wouldn't be herculian but considerable.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[hidden email]".

Mathias Bauer pisze:

> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is it possible to have AutoCorrect items installable as an extension for
>> a particular language? If AutoText is installable, then maybe
>> AutoCorrect as well?
>
> I'm not sure about this. You can check this by yourself by adding
> additional folders to the corresponding pathes in the path settings. If
> access content in them basically works the same should be true for
> extensions. There still might be some smaller bugs to fix though (e.g.
> making such entries non-changeable).

I tried and it works. The entries are changeable but this is a feature
for me (after all, you might want to customize the autocorrect). I will
post a skeleton to the wiki, and some files for Polish users :)

Extensions is definitely the way to go with dictionaries.

Best,

Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

> Mathias Bauer pisze:
>> Marcin Miłkowski wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is it possible to have AutoCorrect items installable as an extension for
>>> a particular language? If AutoText is installable, then maybe
>>> AutoCorrect as well?
>>
>> I'm not sure about this. You can check this by yourself by adding
>> additional folders to the corresponding pathes in the path settings. If
>> access content in them basically works the same should be true for
>> extensions. There still might be some smaller bugs to fix though (e.g.
>> making such entries non-changeable).
>
> I tried and it works. The entries are changeable but this is a feature
> for me (after all, you might want to customize the autocorrect). I will
> post a skeleton to the wiki, and some files for Polish users :)

I think changeable entries in an extension are a hairy thing. Once the
extension gets deinstalled all changes are lost! But I didn't think this
to the end, I just think that it looks wrong.

Mathias Bauer pisze:
>> I tried and it works. The entries are changeable but this is a feature
>> for me (after all, you might want to customize the autocorrect). I will
>> post a skeleton to the wiki, and some files for Polish users :)
>
> I think changeable entries in an extension are a hairy thing. Once the
> extension gets deinstalled all changes are lost! But I didn't think this
> to the end, I just think that it looks wrong.

It's not trivial to allow for customization (like deleting and
correcting entries) AND to care for what happens in case you uninstall
the extension. Probably in this case the user should be asked on
uninstalling the extension whether she wants to keep autocorrect entries
although she uninstalls the extension. But if she installs again a new
version that corrects previous entries, she might have a conflict...

I didn't check what happens if you install several autocorrect
extensions. Do they sum up or do they replace each other? (I didn't
check). And what behaviour should we actually have? (Probably summing up
is the intuitive thing but some of them could be mutually exclusive,
like EN-GB vs. EN_US).

In case of spelling, we have the concept of user dictionaries (actually
lots of them, three is too much for some users - but the dictionaries
are pretty small in size), so maybe we should have something like that
here. Oh well, maybe it's not so wise to supply the AutoCorrect as an
extension?

Regards,

Marcin Miłkowski schrieb:

> I didn't check what happens if you install several autocorrect
> extensions. Do they sum up or do they replace each other? (I didn't
> check). And what behaviour should we actually have? (Probably summing up
> is the intuitive thing but some of them could be mutually exclusive,
> like EN-GB vs. EN_US).

I would expect that content from extensions is merged in the same way as
content in share and user folders.

> In case of spelling, we have the concept of user dictionaries (actually
> lots of them, three is too much for some users - but the dictionaries
> are pretty small in size), so maybe we should have something like that
> here. Oh well, maybe it's not so wise to supply the AutoCorrect as an
> extension?

Whatever we allow for extensions may cause some problems even if the
basic merging mechanism works. This has to be checked for each
particular case. It wasn't checked until now for "AutoCorrect" so feel
free to document how it should work - and how it really works. :-)