Automatic Date is only causing problems

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Automatic Date is only causing problems

Alex Perlhagen
How do i turn Automatic Date off?
Automatic Date format is only causing problems.
Please have it turn off by default.

When i write number divided by number it changes it to a date format
without asking, and changes the input value to something totally
different which is wrong because i want to calculate that division of
money.
When i write a date and change all cells format to text, the date is
shown totally wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Automatic Date is only causing problems

Marcus (OOo)
Am 01.08.2018 um 15:54 schrieb Alex Perlhagen:

> How do i turn Automatic Date off?
> Automatic Date format is only causing problems.
> Please have it turn off by default.
>
> When i write number divided by number it changes it to a date format
> without asking, and changes the input value to something totally
> different which is wrong because i want to calculate that division of
> money.
> When i write a date and change all cells format to text, the date is
> shown totally wrong.

too bad that you don't write in which application you are, so I asusme
it's Calc. Hopefully this is helpful for you:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=67400

Otherwise please stay at the forums to get more help as it's more sutied
than this mailing list.

HTH

Marcus


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Automatic Date is only causing problems

Peter Kovacs-2
In reply to this post by Alex Perlhagen
Welcome to the developer List.
Computers are stupid, they only know 0 and 1. We have to tell them what it is what you enter.

So we have following choice:
1) have a popup asking you what you want to enter
2) make a guess. The way we guess is the same way Microsoft does it. Because that is what most people know.

Usually what users do is to preformat the cells. Or because we are all lazy write '12/24.
If you start something with a ' it will marked as text and the ' is not shown.
This is of course also taken from Microsoft Excel.

To preformat a cell you mark it -> right click-> select option formatting-> define a format.

Hth
Peter

Am 1. August 2018 15:54:18 MESZ schrieb Alex Perlhagen <[hidden email]>:

>How do i turn Automatic Date off?
>Automatic Date format is only causing problems.
>Please have it turn off by default.
>
>When i write number divided by number it changes it to a date format
>without asking, and changes the input value to something totally
>different which is wrong because i want to calculate that division of
>money.
>When i write a date and change all cells format to text, the date is
>shown totally wrong.
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Automatic Date is only causing problems

Alex Perlhagen
Can you please implement following?

Please have options settings that can disable Automatic Date formatting.

Before Automatic Date formatting happens the program should ask only once
per computer installation if you want to have the automatic date formatting
enabled resulting in xyz or if you want the automatic date formatting
disabled leaving my numbers as they are.

Popup message box
Change entry to date format YYMMDD?
Yes No Remember my choice checkbox




Den ons 1 aug. 2018 21:17Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> skrev:

> Welcome to the developer List.
> Computers are stupid, they only know 0 and 1. We have to tell them what it
> is what you enter.
>
> So we have following choice:
> 1) have a popup asking you what you want to enter
> 2) make a guess. The way we guess is the same way Microsoft does it.
> Because that is what most people know.
>
> Usually what users do is to preformat the cells. Or because we are all
> lazy write '12/24.
> If you start something with a ' it will marked as text and the ' is not
> shown.
> This is of course also taken from Microsoft Excel.
>
> To preformat a cell you mark it -> right click-> select option
> formatting-> define a format.
>
> Hth
> Peter
>
> Am 1. August 2018 15:54:18 MESZ schrieb Alex Perlhagen <
> [hidden email]>:
> >How do i turn Automatic Date off?
> >Automatic Date format is only causing problems.
> >Please have it turn off by default.
> >
> >When i write number divided by number it changes it to a date format
> >without asking, and changes the input value to something totally
> >different which is wrong because i want to calculate that division of
> >money.
> >When i write a date and change all cells format to text, the date is
> >shown totally wrong.
> >
> >---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Automatic Date is only causing problems

Peter Kovacs-2
What is 180412? A date or a number?
I suggest We can't tell. It is likely a number.
I have to check something first, before I can make another suggestion.

We have one bug that seems to go into the same direction.
bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=125162
Maybe adding your case to this one will improve the documentation of this one.

You can answer only to the list, devs are usually subscribed.


Am 1. August 2018 23:00:48 MESZ schrieb Alex Perlhagen <[hidden email]>:

>Can you please implement following?
>
>Please have options settings that can disable Automatic Date
>formatting.
>
>Before Automatic Date formatting happens the program should ask only
>once
>per computer installation if you want to have the automatic date
>formatting
>enabled resulting in xyz or if you want the automatic date formatting
>disabled leaving my numbers as they are.
>
>Popup message box
>Change entry to date format YYMMDD?
>Yes No Remember my choice checkbox
>
>
>
>
>Den ons 1 aug. 2018 21:17Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> skrev:
>
>> Welcome to the developer List.
>> Computers are stupid, they only know 0 and 1. We have to tell them
>what it
>> is what you enter.
>>
>> So we have following choice:
>> 1) have a popup asking you what you want to enter
>> 2) make a guess. The way we guess is the same way Microsoft does it.
>> Because that is what most people know.
>>
>> Usually what users do is to preformat the cells. Or because we are
>all
>> lazy write '12/24.
>> If you start something with a ' it will marked as text and the ' is
>not
>> shown.
>> This is of course also taken from Microsoft Excel.
>>
>> To preformat a cell you mark it -> right click-> select option
>> formatting-> define a format.
>>
>> Hth
>> Peter
>>
>> Am 1. August 2018 15:54:18 MESZ schrieb Alex Perlhagen <
>> [hidden email]>:
>> >How do i turn Automatic Date off?
>> >Automatic Date format is only causing problems.
>> >Please have it turn off by default.
>> >
>> >When i write number divided by number it changes it to a date format
>> >without asking, and changes the input value to something totally
>> >different which is wrong because i want to calculate that division
>of
>> >money.
>> >When i write a date and change all cells format to text, the date is
>> >shown totally wrong.
>> >
>>
>>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> >For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Automatic Date is only causing problems

Jörg Schmidt-2
In reply to this post by Alex Perlhagen

> From: Alex Perlhagen [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2018 11:01 PM
> To: Peter Kovacs
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Automatic Date is only causing problems
>
> Can you please implement following?
>
> Please have options settings that can disable Automatic Date
> formatting.

that might make sense, but it's not very important
 

> Before Automatic Date formatting happens the program should
> ask only once
> per computer installation if you want to have the automatic
> date formatting
> enabled resulting in xyz or if you want the automatic date formatting
> disabled leaving my numbers as they are.
>
> Popup message box
> Change entry to date format YYMMDD?
> Yes No Remember my choice checkbox

-1

This makes no sense at all, because it will lead to exactly the same problems as the simplified way of clicking the message to format incompatibilities when saving files - the users then simply click away the message and later complain that it does not work and claim to have received no notification at all.



gretings,
Jörg


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]