BASE questions

Mike Shearer
I'm new to Base and discovering just how ignorant I am despite 40 years
working in IT.  I have created a simple data base with three tables.
When trying to create relationships and forms it's become obvious that
some of my field definitions need to be changed.  Problem 1: how can I
display all of the variables I used to specify each field?    Problem 2:
I created a table and made a mess of it.  How can I delete that table?
DROP TABLE ... hasn't worked.  Problem 3:  The ID in my main table is a
numeric sequential number.  Can I define the field so that the number is
automatically assigned using a field type?

Background:  I'm working in OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a MacBook Pro running
MacOS 0.13.6.  My first reference is to LibreOffice 4.0 Base Handbook,
OO helps, OpenOffice Forum, then finally Google.  I assume that
LibreOffice BASE and OO BASE are sufficiently similar that LO
documentation should be relevant to OO BASE.

thanks,

Mike Shearer
Australia

Re: BASE questions

Alan Boba-2
Hello Mike,

Don't have all your answers off the top of my head, however for an auto
incrementing id use field type Integer with Autovalue set to YES.

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

RE: BASE questions

w100dro Roy
Hi I  am curious to know if you got any useful reply to your mail back on 29/7/19 regarding Base.

I have found that it always an item that not many are familiar with and tend o leave Base alone and consencreate
0n the the equivilent to Excel.

I am trying to convert an industrial program in excel to Base.

I wnote to colleges locally and needless to say none offered even the Ms base. Not even our local
Uni so am slowing making my way through using the Internet.

Best wishes

Roy Wood

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: BASE questions

Tony Turner
Hi Roy

I’m afraid that you’ve been directed to the wrong person,

Tony Turner

> On 15 Sep 2019, at 17:28, Roy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi I  am curious to know if you got any useful reply to your mail back on 29/7/19 regarding Base.
>
> I have found that it always an item that not many are familiar with and tend o leave Base alone and consencreate
> 0n the the equivilent to Excel.
>
> I am trying to convert an industrial program in excel to Base.
>
> I wnote to colleges locally and needless to say none offered even the Ms base. Not even our local
> Uni so am slowing making my way through using the Internet.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Roy Wood
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: BASE questions

w100dro Roy
Hi Tony
Thanks for letting me now
Roy

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I’m afraid that you’ve been directed to the wrong person,

Tony Turner

> On 15 Sep 2019, at 17:28, Roy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi I  am curious to know if you got any useful reply to your mail back on 29/7/19 regarding Base.
>
> I have found that it always an item that not many are familiar with and tend o leave Base alone and consencreate
> 0n the the equivilent to Excel.
>
> I am trying to convert an industrial program in excel to Base.
>
> I wnote to colleges locally and needless to say none offered even the Ms base. Not even our local
> Uni so am slowing making my way through using the Internet.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Roy Wood
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: BASE questions

Steven Ahlers
Roy,

This is a mail list of users of OpenOffice, while I personally can’t help you with this issue, if you’re patient someone who has experience with Base should be able to help you. Please allow 72 hours for replies as this is an international users group and many do not respond to email over weekends and or while they’re sleeping.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 2:46 PM, Roy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tony
> Thanks for letting me now
> Roy
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: BASE questions

Dan Lewis

On 9/15/19 16:25, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Try this link: it should get you started.
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Base_Guide
>

> Dan
>
> On 9/15/19 16:18, Steven Ahlers wrote:
>> Roy,
>>
>> This is a mail list of users of OpenOffice, while I personally can’t
>> help you with this issue, if you’re patient someone who has
>> experience with Base should be able to help you. Please allow 72
>> hours for replies as this is an international users group and many do
>> not respond to email over weekends and or while they’re sleeping.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Sep 15, 2019, at 2:46 PM, Roy Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tony
>>> Thanks for letting me now
>>> Roy
>>>
>>> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: BASE questions

Kerryn Gunness
hey
where can i get a copy of open office?

>> Try this link: it should get you started.
>>
>> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Base_Guide
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On 9/15/19 16:18, Steven Ahlers wrote:
>>> Roy,
>>>
>>> This is a mail list of users of OpenOffice, while I personally can???t
>>> help you with this issue, if you???re patient someone who has experience
>>> with Base should be able to help you. Please allow 72 hours for replies
>>> as this is an international users group and many do not respond to email
>>> over weekends and or while they???re sleeping.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: BASE questions

Dave Fisher-3
www.openoffice.org/download/

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Kerryn Gunness <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> hey
> where can i get a copy of open office?
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Lewis" <[hidden email]>

Re: BASE questions

Kerryn Gunness
thanks dave

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Kerryn Gunness <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> hey
> where can i get a copy of open office?
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Lewis" <[hidden email]>

Re: BASE questions

Kerryn Gunness
dave
how do u use it?

> On Sep 15, 2019, at 1:30 PM, Kerryn Gunness <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> hey
> where can i get a copy of open office?
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Lewis" <[hidden email]>

Re: BASE questions

許哲崇
Could you explain why you need OO if you can offer a Mac?

Mike <[hidden email]> 於 2019年7月29日 週一 下午4:03寫道:

> I'm new to Base and discovering just how ignorant I am despite 40 years
> working in IT.  I have created a simple data base with three tables.
> When trying to create relationships and forms it's become obvious that
> some of my field definitions need to be changed.  Problem 1: how can I
> display all of the variables I used to specify each field?    Problem 2:
> I created a table and made a mess of it.  How can I delete that table?
> DROP TABLE ... hasn't worked.  Problem 3:  The ID in my main table is a
> numeric sequential number.  Can I define the field so that the number is
> automatically assigned using a field type?
>
> Background:  I'm working in OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a MacBook Pro running
> MacOS 0.13.6.  My first reference is to LibreOffice 4.0 Base Handbook,
> OO helps, OpenOffice Forum, then finally Google.  I assume that
> LibreOffice BASE and OO BASE are sufficiently similar that LO
> documentation should be relevant to OO BASE.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike Shearer
> Australia

Re: BASE questions

許哲崇
If you work for industrial solutions, MS Office is a better solution, than
open source solutions.

Alan B <[hidden email]> 於 2019年8月1日 週四 上午11:17寫道:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Don't have all your answers off the top of my head, however for an auto
> incrementing id use field type Integer with Autovalue set to YES.
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:03 AM Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I'm new to Base and discovering just how ignorant I am despite 40 years
> > working in IT.  I have created a simple data base with three tables.
> > When trying to create relationships and forms it's become obvious that
> > some of my field definitions need to be changed.  Problem 1: how can I
> > display all of the variables I used to specify each field?    Problem 2:
> > I created a table and made a mess of it.  How can I delete that table?
> > DROP TABLE ... hasn't worked.  Problem 3:  The ID in my main table is a
> > numeric sequential number.  Can I define the field so that the number is
> > automatically assigned using a field type?
> >
> > Background:  I'm working in OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a MacBook Pro running
> > MacOS 0.13.6.  My first reference is to LibreOffice 4.0 Base Handbook,
> > OO helps, OpenOffice Forum, then finally Google.  I assume that
> > LibreOffice BASE and OO BASE are sufficiently similar that LO
> > documentation should be relevant to OO BASE.
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > Mike Shearer
> > Australia
> >

> --
> Alan Boba
> CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: BASE questions

許哲崇
Do you think you need a NEW Lotus123 ?

Mike <[hidden email]> 於 2019年7月29日 週一 下午4:03寫道:

> I'm new to Base and discovering just how ignorant I am despite 40 years
> working in IT.  I have created a simple data base with three tables.
> When trying to create relationships and forms it's become obvious that
> some of my field definitions need to be changed.  Problem 1: how can I
> display all of the variables I used to specify each field?    Problem 2:
> I created a table and made a mess of it.  How can I delete that table?
> DROP TABLE ... hasn't worked.  Problem 3:  The ID in my main table is a
> numeric sequential number.  Can I define the field so that the number is
> automatically assigned using a field type?
>
> Background:  I'm working in OpenOffice 4.1.6 on a MacBook Pro running
> MacOS 0.13.6.  My first reference is to LibreOffice 4.0 Base Handbook,
> OO helps, OpenOffice Forum, then finally Google.  I assume that
> LibreOffice BASE and OO BASE are sufficiently similar that LO
> documentation should be relevant to OO BASE.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike Shearer
> Australia

Re: BASE questions

Dave Fisher-3

> On Sep 17, 2019, at 12:35 AM, 許哲崇 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you think you need a NEW Lotus123 ?

That’s ironic because Lotus123 eventually became Symphony which was built on OpenOffice and then IBM donated code to Apache OpenOffice which LibreOffice consumed.

Regards,
Dave