Background and Text in Writer

Linda Hull
I'm on Windows 7 and using Open Office 4.1.2.

I want to make an image with text I write, a nice background, with some
space the same color as the background, around the writing so it looks
professional.

So far, in OO Writer, I got the background, and my text, but the text runs
from margin to margin, and so does the color, but the margin areas are
white.
How can I get the text to be smaller than the colored area?

In the end I'll want to save it as a .pdf and convert it to a .jpg or .img
or copy it to Paint, for uploading to an image sharing site, that I can
link to for social media.

I've followed directions from:
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-background-image-openoffice-document-63567.html

I'd like to be able to use:

https://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-text-over-image-openoffice-53710.html
(Adjust the intensity)
The steps for this are based in
http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/Working_with_Graphics.pdf

It isn't up to date or doesn't match my Apache Open Office.  My arrangement
for these steps is different.  And the "View," "Toolbars" and "Picture"
toolbar doesn't show any numbers. (Could this be because the computer is
using a lot of ram for FireFox?)  I'd really like to be able to lower the
intensity of an image to make the text stand out more, but I need the
directions to be for the Apache Open Office version that I'm using.  Is
there a help page that is newer, please?

Thanks so much!

Linda

Re: Background and Text in Writer

Brian Barker-2
At 13:48 08/03/2019 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>I'm on Windows 7 and using Open Office 4.1.2.

I'm wondering why you are using an older version of OpenOffice. There
is seldom any reason to do this with free software.

>I want to make an image with text I write, a nice background, with
>some space the same color as the background, around the writing so
>it looks professional.

Remember that many (most?) printers cannot print to the very edge of
the paper, so you need some blank margins anyway. If, as you suggest,
you are going to share this document, remember also that the margins
need to be big enough for your consumers' printers, not just yours.

>So far, in OO Writer, I got the background, and my text, but the
>text runs from margin to margin, and so does the color, but the
>margin areas are white.

If you want no white margins at all, you can set the page margins to
zero, but remember printer limitations as above.

>How can I get the text to be smaller than the colored area?

There are various ways to do this.

o You could set paragraph margins appropriately on your text - on the
Indents & Spacing tab of the Paragraph dialogue. Setting Before,
After, Above, and Below will achieve what you need. The problem with
this approach is that if your text has multiple paragraphs they will
also be additionally spaced by the Above and Below settings. You may
be able to work around this by spacing your text paragraphs using
line breaks instead - using Shift+Enter - though this is rather messy.

o Better would be to insert a Frame (Insert | Frame...). Adjust the
size and position of the frame to allow the margins you require
inside the real page margins that limit your background image. Enter
your text inside the frame. To prevent the frame simply obscuring
your background image, you will need to adjust the frame's properties
on the Background tab of the Frame dialogue. Choose Colour for "As",
select any colour for "Background colour". White (at top left) will
do, but note that this is *not* the same as No Fill! Adjust
Transparency here to 100%; you can type into the box or use the up
and down arrows as a thumbwheel to adjust the value.

>I've followed directions from: [...]
>I'd like to be able to use: [...] (Adjust the intensity)

Remember that these are from a newspaper publisher, not OpenOffice
itself - though they do seem to be accurate.

>The steps for this are based in
>http://www.openoffice.org/documentation/manuals/oooauthors/Working_with_Graphics.pdf
>It isn't up to date or doesn't match my Apache Open Office. My
>arrangement for these steps is different.

Indeed so (2005; for version 1).

>And the "View," "Toolbars" and "Picture" toolbar doesn't show any numbers.

I hope it does.

>(Could this be because the computer is using a lot of ram for FireFox?)

Nope.

>I'd really like to be able to lower the intensity of an image to
>make the text stand out more, but I need the directions to be for
>the Apache Open Office version that I'm using. Is there a help page
>that is newer, please?

Chapter 8 of the Writer Guide, "Working with Graphics", is what you need. See
https://wiki.openoffice.org/w/images/2/2b/0208WG33-WorkingWithGraphics.pdf .

If you select your background image, the Picture toolbar should
appear automatically. By default it floats, but you may have docked
it alongside your other toolbars. If it doesn't appear, it will do so
if you go to View | Toolbars > | Picture, as you suggest. Towards the
right of the Picture toolbar, you should see an icon of a wineglass
with an associated box to its right, probably defaulting to "0%". (If
you hover your mouse over them you should see the Help Tip
"Transparency".) You need to increase this value to reduce the
intensity of your background image. Again, you can type into the box
or use the thumbwheel arrows to adjust the value.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Background and Text in Writer

Julian Thomas
Exception is when the doc is only going to be shared as .doc .odt or .pdf.

Also if you are using a smaller paper size.

Sent from JT's Ipad - maybe using voice dictation!

At 14:32 09/03/2019 -0500, Julian Thomas wrote:
>On Mar 9, 2019, at 12:32, Brian Barker wrote:
>>Remember that many (most?) printers cannot print to the very edge
>>of the paper, so you need some blank margins anyway. If, as you
>>suggest, you are going to share this document, remember also that
>>the margins need to be big enough for your consumers' printers, not just yours.
>
>Exception is when the doc is only going to be shared as .doc .odt or .pdf.

Sorry, but no: the format in which the document is shared is
irrelevant. Any format can be displayed on screen with material to
the edge of the document, but if it ends up being printed it is the
printer's limitations that must be considered. The questioner did not
suggest that the final document was never to be printed; in any case,
how would she know that no-one wanted to use it in this way?

>Also if you are using a smaller paper size.

No paper size is small or large in an absolute sense! (Is a "smaller
paper size" shorter than a piece of string?) And the restriction
applies even if printing is performed on paper smaller than the
largest that any printer can handle. The main problem is that it is
more or less impossible to guarantee that the printed image lands
precisely on the paper, especially with low-end printers likely to be
used in the home or office. Any pigment thus deposited instead on
supporting rollers creates unpleasant set-off. Professional printers
arrange printing to the edge of the paper by printing slightly
oversized images on even more oversized paper and trimming it to size
afterwards.

Brian Barker

Re: Background and Text in Writer

Linda Hull
Thank you very much Brian and Julian!

I did the update, but it's asking me about a databse, I don't know what I should answer.
The updated version seemed to be trying to recover older documents which it can't find. (I get red X's), so they must be from long ago. I clicked ok and now it's asking this:

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 3:43 PM Brian Barker <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 14:32 09/03/2019 -0500, Julian Thomas wrote:
>On Mar 9, 2019, at 12:32, Brian Barker wrote:
>>Remember that many (most?) printers cannot print to the very edge
>>of the paper, so you need some blank margins anyway. If, as you
>>suggest, you are going to share this document, remember also that
>>the margins need to be big enough for your consumers' printers, not just yours.
>
>Exception is when the doc is only going to be shared as .doc .odt or .pdf.

Sorry, but no: the format in which the document is shared is
irrelevant. Any format can be displayed on screen with material to
the edge of the document, but if it ends up being printed it is the
printer's limitations that must be considered. The questioner did not
suggest that the final document was never to be printed; in any case,
how would she know that no-one wanted to use it in this way?

>Also if you are using a smaller paper size.

No paper size is small or large in an absolute sense! (Is a "smaller
paper size" shorter than a piece of string?) And the restriction
applies even if printing is performed on paper smaller than the
largest that any printer can handle. The main problem is that it is
more or less impossible to guarantee that the printed image lands
precisely on the paper, especially with low-end printers likely to be
used in the home or office. Any pigment thus deposited instead on
supporting rollers creates unpleasant set-off. Professional printers
arrange printing to the edge of the paper by printing slightly
oversized images on even more oversized paper and trimming it to size
afterwards.

Brian BarkerĀ

Re: Updating [was: Background and Text in Writer]

Brian Barker-2
At 21:53 09/03/2019 -0500, Linda Hull wrote:
>Thank you very much Brian and Julian!

No probs!

>I did the update, but it's asking me about a database, I don't know
>what I should answer.
>The updated version seemed to be trying to recover older documents
>which it can't find. (I get red X's), so they must be from long ago.
>I clicked ok and now it's asking this:

(I imagine you pasted an image here, but nothing came through.)

Earlier versions of OpenOffice for Windows - including your 4.1.2 -
relied on an .msi file for installation, which is a database of
installation information, required just as much for removal of a
program as for its installation. In order to remove programs, you
need to preserve this file. If you haven't done so, the solution is easy:
o Download the installation file for your existing version 4.1.2 again.
o Run the installation for version 4.1.2 again. Accept the option to
reinstall the product.
o Now run the installation for 4.1.6.

Delete the installation files for 4.1.2 only after you have been
successful in getting 4.1.6 to work. If the above doesn't work, try
removing version 4.1.2 - using Windows 7's proper procedure, of
course - whilst the installation files for 4.1.2 are where they were
when you reinstalled it. Then install version 4.1.6.

You can obtain the required installation file for version 4.1.2 at
http://www.openoffice.org/download/ by selecting that version from
the right hand drop-down menu on that page.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Updating [was: Background and Text in Writer]

Linda Hull
Brian,

I've located the Archive of older versions 4*

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/

Could you explain how to download the 4.1.2 that I need?

At 03:10 10/03/2019 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>I've located the Archive of older versions 4*
>
>https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/
>
>Could you explain how to download the 4.1.2 that I need?

You don't need to go there. As I said, go to the normal download page
- at http://www.openoffice.org/download/ - and select "4.1.2" from
the right hand drop-down menu on that page. (Click the down-arrow
against "4.1.6" to show the options.) Then click "Download full installation".

Brian Barker