Base and Java

Mike Shearer
I wish to create a database but the message /No Java installation could
be found... /is as far as I get./

/I'm running OSX on a MacBook Pro, OpenOffice 4.1.6, Safari 12.1.2 and
have downloaded and install[ed??] Java 8 update 221 from java.com.   I
can't find any ...java... files in Library, though when I installed java
I got the install OK message.

I've spent several hours working thru the OpenOffice Community Forum
threads that might be pertinent, and exhausted Google, but am now more
confused than when I started.  Is the fundamental problem that Apple
doesn't like java and because I'm up to date with OS X and Safari, I
won't be able to use Base?

Please don't get the impression from the above that I'm a well-informed
IT geek; I'm not, but having read so many pleas for help I understand
the necessity to quote releases!  I've celebrated more than 25
anniversaries of my 50th birthday and find this digitised world
overwhelming...  So advice in naive layman's terms will be much appreciated.

Mike Shearer

Townsville, Australia

Re: Base and Java

Amin Jacek Pędziwiater
The only thing that comes to mind due to the fact that MAC OSX only
works with the 64-bit version of the Java environment is that you try to
install one of the relevant MAC versions of the Libre Office software
(based on OpenOffice). I know only that I installed about a year ago
under Windows 7 64-bit and Libre Office detected on the computer
installed 64-bit Java environment. I do not know how it could work in
the case of MAC OSX but I think you can try. Libre Office is available
for MAC and creates and supports a database program you wish to use.

Good luck,

Amin Jacek Pędziwiater
Rzeszów, Poland

>I wish to create a database but the message /No Java installation could be found... /is as far as I get./
>
>/I'm running OSX on a MacBook Pro, OpenOffice 4.1.6, Safari 12.1.2 and have downloaded and install[ed??] Java 8 update 221 from java.com.   I can't find any ...java... files in Library, though when I installed java I got the install OK message.
>
>I've spent several hours working thru the OpenOffice Community Forum threads that might be pertinent, and exhausted Google, but am now more confused than when I started.  Is the fundamental problem that Apple doesn't like java and because I'm up to date with OS X and Safari, I won't be able to use Base?
>
>Please don't get the impression from the above that I'm a well-informed IT geek; I'm not, but having read so many pleas for help I understand the necessity to quote releases!  I've celebrated more than 25 anniversaries of my 50th birthday and find this digitised world overwhelming...  So advice in naive layman's terms will be much appreciated.
>
>Mike Shearer
>
>Townsville, Australia

Re: Base and Java

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:40:08 +1000
Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wish to create a database but the message /No Java installation could
> be found... /is as far as I get./
>
> /I'm running OSX on a MacBook Pro, OpenOffice 4.1.6, Safari 12.1.2 and
> have downloaded and install[ed??] Java 8 update 221 from java.com.   I
> can't find any ...java... files in Library, though when I installed java
> I got the install OK message.
>
> I've spent several hours working thru the OpenOffice Community Forum
> threads that might be pertinent, and exhausted Google, but am now more
> confused than when I started.  Is the fundamental problem that Apple
> doesn't like java and because I'm up to date with OS X and Safari, I
> won't be able to use Base?
>
> Please don't get the impression from the above that I'm a well-informed
> IT geek; I'm not, but having read so many pleas for help I understand
> the necessity to quote releases!  I've celebrated more than 25
> anniversaries of my 50th birthday and find this digitised world
> overwhelming...  So advice in naive layman's terms will be much appreciated.
>
> Mike Shearer
>
> Townsville, Australia

This tutorial covers many Mac related problems
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283#p420635

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Base and Java

Larry Gusaas-4
On 2019-07-25 12:40 a.m., Mike wrote:
> I wish to create a database but the message /No Java installation could be found... /is as
> far as I get./
>
> /I'm running OSX on a MacBook Pro, OpenOffice 4.1.6, Safari 12.1.2 and have downloaded and
> install[ed??] Java 8 update 221 from java.com.   I can't find any ...java... files in
> Library, though when I installed java I got the install OK message.

 From the release notes known issues at
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.6+Release+Notes#AOO4.1.6ReleaseNotes-FormacOSusers

    Due to a known bug in Oracle Java installations of Apache OpenOffice on macOS that do not
    have the legacy Apple Java 6 installed will not be able to recognize Oracle Java 7 and 8.
    If not able to upgrade to Java 9 than install the legacy version of Apple Java from the
    following link: Legacy Apple Java 6. This will allow the portions of AOO that require Java
    to run properly.

Two choices. Install the legacy version of Java 6 from
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

Or install Java 12 JDK from Oracle, which will work without also having the legacy version
installed
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk12-downloads-5295953.html

After installing start OpenOffice. On the menu bar click on OpenOffice/Preferences then go to
OpenOffice/Java and check "Use a Java runtime environment" then check the Java that is installed.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com