Better defaults when choosing fonts in oowriter

Better defaults when choosing fonts in oowriter

Niels L. Ellegaard

The dropdown menu for choosing "font name" in oowriter contain a lot of
entries. Therefore it takes a lot of time to find the correct font.

But most of the time, I am looking for a font that I am already being
used in the document, so perhaps it would help to place fonts that are
already being used in the present document at the top of the "font name"
dropdown menu. That would make it easier for me to choose font.

I get this problem whenever I copy text from a text document or from a
web page into an odf document. I almost always want the copied text to
have the same font as the rest of the document, but I end up having to
search around in the "font name" dropdown menu to get things right. This
is extra work, and I would like to be able to avoid it.

Is there a smarter way to do this, or should I file a feature request?

Merry Christmas

    Niels

Re: Better defaults when choosing fonts in oowriter

Johnny Rosenberg
Den 2010-12-25 13:41:34 skrev Niels L. Ellegaard
<[hidden email]>:

> The dropdown menu for choosing "font name" in oowriter contain a lot of
> entries. Therefore it takes a lot of time to find the correct font.
>
> But most of the time, I am looking for a font that I am already being
> used in the document, so perhaps it would help to place fonts that are
> already being used in the present document at the top of the "font name"
> dropdown menu. That would make it easier for me to choose font.
>
> I get this problem whenever I copy text from a text document or from a
> web page into an odf document. I almost always want the copied text to
> have the same font as the rest of the document, but I end up having to
> search around in the "font name" dropdown menu to get things right. This
> is extra work, and I would like to be able to avoid it.
>
> Is there a smarter way to do this, or should I file a feature request?
>
> Merry Christmas
>
>     Niels

You could use styles (in fact, always use styles is always my advise).
Create a style (or several) with the font you prefer. Also create a
template with your favourite style (with your favourite font) and make it
your default template.

If you need to apply a font to something, just apply the appropriate style
to it. It could be a character style or a paragraph style, it depends on
what you need to do.

When you select a font from the font selection drop-down menu, it will
appear at the top next time, but I agree with you that it would be a good
idea if fonts that exeists in the document already appears at the top
right away, so I would suggest to write a feature request.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Better defaults when choosing fonts in oowriter

William W. Austin
On 2010-12-25 07:41:34, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

> The dropdown menu for choosing "font name" in oowriter contain a lot
> of
> entries. Therefore it takes a lot of time to find the correct font.
>
> But most of the time, I am looking for a font that I am already being
> used in the document, so perhaps it would help to place fonts that
> are
> already being used in the present document at the top of the "font
> name"
> dropdown menu. That would make it easier for me to choose font.
>
> I get this problem whenever I copy text from a text document or from
> web page into an odf document. I almost always want the copied text
> have the same font as the rest of the document, but I end up having
> search around in the "font name" dropdown menu to get things right.
> This
> is extra work, and I would like to be able to avoid it.
>
> Is there a smarter way to do this, or should I file a feature
> request?
>
> Merry Christmas
>
>     Niels

Whenever I do that, I highlight the text and put it into the format
(style) that I want - and that includes the font as well.  (Sometimes I
have to click on 'Default Formatting' or hit a Ctrl-M to get it to go
into the right font, but it is simpler than hunting for a font
sometimes.  HOWEVER, if you want to preserve the formatting, then you
drop down the stylist, go to character formats and pick the one you
need.  (This presumes that you've used the font you want in your doc
already...)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
 - wwa

--
william w. austin                                     [hidden email]
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."

Re: Better defaults when choosing fonts in oowriter

ΠΛΑΔΑΡΟΣ ΦΩΤΗΣ
THANKS FOR ALL.  PLENTY OF GOODS FOR YOUR NEW YEAR!!!