Big problem

Tom Hayden
Hello
I have a problem that I never encountered before.  When opening a file that I have been working on for several years the document opened with nothing but the pound symbols. Like this:  ############, all 300 pages have this now instead of my writings.  Is there a way I can recover my previous work?  Can I somehow go back to a former date before this occurred?  Can anyone tell me how and why this occurred?  Never had such a problem before!  I am bummed big time. Please help! Thanks so much.

Re: Big problem

Nellyfanjita Computer
Don't sweat the small stuff.  😊

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I have a problem that I never encountered before.  When opening a file that I have been working on for several years the document opened with nothing but the pound symbols. Like this:  ############, all 300 pages have this now instead of my writings.  Is there a way I can recover my previous work?  Can I somehow go back to a former date before this occurred?  Can anyone tell me how and why this occurred?  Never had such a problem before!  I am bummed big time. Please help! Thanks so much.

Re: Big problem

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:21:28 +0000
Tom Hayden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
> I have a problem that I never encountered before.  When opening a file that I have been working on for several years the document opened with nothing but the pound symbols. Like this:  ############, all 300 pages have this now instead of my writings.  Is there a way I can recover my previous work?  Can I somehow go back to a former date before this occurred?  Can anyone tell me how and why this occurred?  Never had such a problem before!  I am bummed big time. Please help! Thanks so much.

Your file is damaged, probably beyond useful repair.

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest! Do not wait for anything else - there is little prospect of recovering anything from your file, so do this NOW!

This can happen if the program or the computer crashes while the file is open.  It can also happen if the computer is powered off too speedily after OpenOffice is closed, before OpenOffice has finished its internal housekeeping.

If you have backups. you could revert to the latest backup.

See see: [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056][Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####[/rel]. for other information.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Big problem

Rory O'Farrell
On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:37:46 +0000
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> See see: [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056][Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####[/rel]. for other information.

For this mailing list the URL should have been
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Big problem

Alan Pearce
Are you sure that this isn't anything more than that the column width has reduced? Try increasing the column width on one of the columns that is showing the problem.

Alan.

I have a problem that I never encountered before.  When opening a file that I have been working on for several years the document opened with nothing but the pound symbols. Like this:  ############, all 300 pages have this now instead of my writings.  Is there a way I can recover my previous work?  Can I somehow go back to a former date before this occurred?  Can anyone tell me how and why this occurred?  Never had such a problem before!  I am bummed big time. Please help! Thanks so much.

Re: Big problem

nasrin khaksar
hi.
if you use windows vista and later, you can use the property of your
file and then select previous version and shadow of your document.
i think that you can recover your files using this way!
if you could solve your problem using this method, please email me and
inform me!
thanks so much and God bless you!

On 1/21/17, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:37:46 +0000
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> See see: [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056][Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound
>> Signs: file reduced to ####[/rel]. for other information.
>
> For this mailing list the URL should have been
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056
>

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org

Re: Big problem

Martin Groenescheij

On 03/02/17 1:44 AM, nasrin khaksar wrote:
> hi.
> if you use windows vista and later, you can use the property of your
> file and then select previous version and shadow of your document.
> i think that you can recover your files using this way!
> if you could solve your problem using this method, please email me and
> inform me!

And how does this solve the problem with the ######### signs?
Have you tested this method?

> thanks so much and God bless you!
>
> On 1/21/17, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 19:37:46 +0000
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> See see: [rel=viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056][Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound
>>> Signs: file reduced to ####[/rel]. for other information.
>> For this mailing list the URL should have been
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=84056
>>

>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Big problem

nasrin khaksar
hello.
excuse me for my delay.
i am studying for my master degree at university.
i am not sure about it.
but right click on your file and use previous version of your file to
return it to the previous state.