Big problem

Gio Taglia
Dear friends,
I’m writing a book about an oper of Richard Wagner, Der Ring des Nibelungen. I need to have, on the same page, a text on one column, a text on two columns (for ex. the poem in German, sided by his translation in Italian) and on the same sheet, notes at the end of the page, on one column. Unfortunately, it’s impossible for me to write a Note belonging to a part of the poem (that is on 2 columns) at the end of the page on 1 column, as in the accluded  example. If I call for 2 columns, also the notes are constricted on 2 columns.
How can I do?
Thank you very much and… I beg your pardon for my poor English.
PS. As you can see by my page, I’m forced to write only with one column, obtaining a poor result.
M° Giorgio Tagliabue
[hidden email]
www.giorgiotagliabue.it

Example.odt (47K) Download Attachment

Re: Big problem

Rory O'Farrell
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 16:04:31 +0200
Gio Taglia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear friends,
> I’m writing a book about an oper of Richard Wagner, Der Ring des Nibelungen. I need to have, on the same page, a text on one column, a text on two columns (for ex. the poem in German, sided by his translation in Italian) and on the same sheet, notes at the end of the page, on one column. Unfortunately, it’s impossible for me to write a Note belonging to a part of the poem (that is on 2 columns) at the end of the page on 1 column, as in the accluded  example. If I call for 2 columns, also the notes are constricted on 2 columns.
> How can I do?
> Thank you very much and… I beg your pardon for my poor English.
> PS. As you can see by my page, I’m forced to write only with one column, obtaining a poor result.
> M° Giorgio Tagliabue
> [hidden email]
> www.giorgiotagliabue.it

See https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87344#p409575
for a tutorial on how to manage columns in OpenOffice Writer.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: [Not so?] Big problem

Brian Barker-2
At 16:04 26/07/2019 +0200, Giorgio Tagliabue wrote:
>I'm writing a book about an opera of Richard Wagner, Der Ring des
>Nibelungen. I need to have, on the same page, a text on one column,
>a text on two columns (for ex. the poem in German, sided by his
>translation in Italian) and on the same sheet, notes at the end of
>the page, on one column. Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to
>write a Note belonging to a part of the poem (that is on 2 columns)
>at the end of the page on 1 column, as in the included example. If I
>call for 2 columns, also the notes are constricted on 2 columns. How can I do?

First, a minor point. If you choose to align your two-column material
using tabs, don't use multiple tab characters as you have done to
space across the default tab positions. This is a very fragile
technique, as you will see if you need to make modifications to the
text in the left column: the right column will move out of alignment.
In addition, if you change the font, text in the right column will
also move out of alignment. Note that if you send such a document to
a correspondent, it may be rendered on their system with a different
font with the same or similar name, or even a different font, so they
may see your carefully constructed columns looking very ragged.
Instead, set your own tab stop and use a single tab character between
the parts of the text.

The description you give implies that you are choosing columns as
part of your page style, in which case footnotes will indeed be
separated by column - which is not what you want. But columns are
also a facility in Sections. Use Insert | Section... to insert a
two-column section, with the text for the respective languages in the
separate columns. You will need to use Insert | Manual Break... to
create a column break between the different text blocks.

But a much better way of handling such material is to use tables. Use
Table | Insert > | Table... to create a table with two columns and
one row; you probably won't want any border. (Note that the residual
pale grey lines you see are editing guides and do not appear on
printed output or in Page Preview.)  Place the different language
text in separate table cells.

You could use this technique in different ways:

o You might want to insert a separate table for each instance of your
parallel translations, with the intervening text being handled
normally. See Example A.odt.

o Alternatively you might use a two-column table for all the relevant
part of your document. The parallel translations would have their own
rows of the table, as would the normal text between. You would need
to merge the table cells in the relevant rows to enable the
intervening text to span the page width normally, as you wish. See
Example B.odt.

>I beg your pardon for my poor English.

No problem! Your English is infinitely better that my Italian!

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Big problem

Luis Iglesias
> Enviados: Viernes, 26 de Julio 2019 16:04:31
> Asunto: Big problem

> Dear friends,
> I’m writing a book about an oper of Richard Wagner, Der Ring des Nibelungen. I
> need to have, on the same page, a text on one column, a text on two columns
> (for ex. the poem in German, sided by his translation in Italian) and on the
> same sheet, notes at the end of the page, on one column. Unfortunately, it’s
> impossible for me to write a Note belonging to a part of the poem (that is on 2
> columns) at the end of the page on 1 column, as in the accluded  example. If I
> call for 2 columns, also the notes are constricted on 2 columns.
> How can I do?
> Thank you very much and… I beg your pardon for my poor English.
> PS. As you can see by my page, I’m forced to write only with one column,
> obtaining a poor result.
> M° Giorgio Tagliabue
> [hidden email]
> www.giorgiotagliabue.it
Dear Giorgio
Maybe you could consider to use styles instead of columns.
I've attached a document with a paragraph style called "Poem" used for the oper text. It defines a tab at 7,5cm with Times New Roman 12 italic font for the text.
So, when you want to write oper text, just change to Poem style, write one german line, press just one tab and write translated italian line. This way you must write line by line.
When you need to return to use normal text, just change to Default style.
You can easily change paragraph style using the selector in the upper-left part of openoffice window.
Using styles you won't have problem to use notes at the end of the page.
Hope this helps.

Luis Iglesias

Example-Style.odt (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Big problem

Luis Iglesias

> Enviados: Lunes, 29 de Julio 2019 8:39:24
> Asunto: Re: Big problem

Hi again.
I've rewritten your document with a new Poem style. It aligns German text to the right and Italian text to the left. In my opinion it enhances the result.
In this new version, when you select Poem style to write oper lines, first of all press TAB before writing German text and press TAB again to jump from German text to Italian text.
As I said in previous message, it's worth to read about styles. They can save you a lot of work and improve presentation.

Greetings,

Luis Iglesias.

Example-Style2.odt (29K) Download Attachment