Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.

Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
AdoptOpenJDK.
It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
looks good so far...

What do you think?

Regards,

   Matthias

[1]
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Keith N. McKenna
On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>
> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
> AdoptOpenJDK.
> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
> looks good so far...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

Mathias;

This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
32 and 64 bit systems.

I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
AdoptOpenJDK.

Regards
Keith

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Josef Latt-2

> Hi all,
>
> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.

Why move away?

https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
personal use and development use, at no cost.

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Josef,

Am 31.08.19 um 16:02 schrieb Josef Latt:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>
> Why move away?
Because AdoptOpenJDK is the better alternative? They even provide 32-bit
versions for Java 11 (LTS).
> https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
> personal use and development use, at no cost.

Of course you are always free to decide which JRE you want to use...

But for the JDK this is another story:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

I just don't want to discuss this in length with Legal at ASF when we
already have something better to build AOO with.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Bidouille
> Why move away?
>
> https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
> personal use and development use, at no cost.

Nobody says that Oracle JVM is removed.
Just you can choose what you need.

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

Am 31.08.19 um 15:37 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>>
>> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
>> AdoptOpenJDK.
>> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
>> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
>> looks good so far...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>> [1]
>> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win
>>

> Mathias;
>
> This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
> potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
> web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
> 32 and 64 bit systems.
>
> I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
> AdoptOpenJDK.
You will find them at the usual place:
https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/

They should be up tomorrow.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards
> Keith

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

> Hi Keith,
>
> Am 31.08.19 um 15:37 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>> On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>>>
>>> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
>>> AdoptOpenJDK.
>>> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
>>> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
>>> looks good so far...
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win
>>>

>> Mathias;
>>
>> This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
>> potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
>> web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
>> 32 and 64 bit systems.
>>
>> I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
>> AdoptOpenJDK.
> You will find them at the usual place:
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/
>
> They should be up tomorrow.
Builds are online!

Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> Regards
>> Keith

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith, all,

Did you have time to test?

Feedback is always welcome... ;-)