Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.

Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
AdoptOpenJDK.
It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
looks good so far...

What do you think?

Regards,

   Matthias

[1]
https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Keith N. McKenna
On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>
> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
> AdoptOpenJDK.
> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
> looks good so far...
>
> What do you think?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> [1]
> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

Mathias;

This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
32 and 64 bit systems.

I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
AdoptOpenJDK.

Regards
Keith

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Josef Latt-2

> Hi all,
>
> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.

Why move away?

https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
personal use and development use, at no cost.

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Josef,

Am 31.08.19 um 16:02 schrieb Josef Latt:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>
> Why move away?
Because AdoptOpenJDK is the better alternative? They even provide 32-bit
versions for Java 11 (LTS).
> https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
> personal use and development use, at no cost.

Of course you are always free to decide which JRE you want to use...

But for the JDK this is another story:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

I just don't want to discuss this in length with Legal at ASF when we
already have something better to build AOO with.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Bidouille
> Why move away?
>
> https://www.java.com -> The new license permits certain uses, such as
> personal use and development use, at no cost.

Nobody says that Oracle JVM is removed.
Just you can choose what you need.

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith,

Am 31.08.19 um 15:37 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:

> On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>>
>> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
>> AdoptOpenJDK.
>> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
>> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
>> looks good so far...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>> [1]
>> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win
>>

> Mathias;
>
> This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
> potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
> web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
> 32 and 64 bit systems.
>
> I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
> AdoptOpenJDK.
You will find them at the usual place:
https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/

They should be up tomorrow.

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards
> Keith

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi all,

> Hi Keith,
>
> Am 31.08.19 um 15:37 schrieb Keith N. McKenna:
>> On 8/31/2019 4:23 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> At the moment I am doing my test builds (trunk and 42X) for Windows with
>>> the latest Oracle JDK (8u221).
>>> I am still able to download, but Oracle changed its licensing. I am not
>>> a lawyer and would prefer to move away from it.
>>>
>>> Damjan recently introduced some patches, so AOO can now work with
>>> AdoptOpenJDK.
>>> It is available in 32 bit, which is still needed for Windows [1].
>>> I am just doing a build for AOO 4.2.0 with AdaptOpenJDK (8u222) and it
>>> looks good so far...
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win
>>>

>> Mathias;
>>
>> This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
>> potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
>> web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
>> 32 and 64 bit systems.
>>
>> I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
>> AdoptOpenJDK.
> You will find them at the usual place:
> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/
>
> They should be up tomorrow.
Builds are online!

Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> Regards
>> Keith

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Keith, all,

Did you have time to test?

Feedback is always welcome... ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Hi all,

>> Hi Keith,

>>> Mathias;
>>>
>>> This sounds like it has great potential as it appears to gives us a
>>> potential path beyond version 8 as a cursory reading of the AdoptOpenJDK
>>> web site shows that it supports version 11 and 12 for both both Windows
>>> 32 and 64 bit systems.
>>>
>>> I look forward to testing your new version 4.2.0 build with the
>>> AdoptOpenJDK.
>> You will find them at the usual place:
>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/
>>
>> They should be up tomorrow.
> Builds are online!
>
> Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards
>>> Keith

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
No feedback=No interest?

Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
That would save me a lot of my spare time...

Regards,

   Matthias

> Hi Keith, all,
>
> Did you have time to test?
>
> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

>> Hi all,

>>> Hi Keith,

>>> You will find them at the usual place:
>>> https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/
>>>
>>> They should be up tomorrow.
>> Builds are online!
>>
>> Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Dave Fisher-2
Hi Matthias,

I think that it is likely people were focused on 4.1.7 testing.

My personal opinion is that if switching does not require users to switch and they can use the Oracle JRE if that is what they have then the change make sense.

Regards,
Dave

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No feedback=No interest?
>
> Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
> That would save me a lot of my spare time...
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

>> Hi Keith, all,
>>
>> Did you have time to test?
>>
>> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi all,

>>> Builds are online!
>>>
>>> Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

Am 30.09.19 um 18:53 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Hi Matthias,
>
> I think that it is likely people were focused on 4.1.7 testing.

Where have all these people been when we voted for release? ;-)

> My personal opinion is that if switching does not require users to switch and they can use the Oracle JRE if that is what they have then the change make sense.

The user is still free to choose whatever JRE he/she wants (and is
detected by AOO).

I build with AdoptOpenJDK for some weeks now [1] and have found no
problems. But that *really* needs more testing...

Regards,

   Matthias

[1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/

> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Sep 30, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No feedback=No interest?
>>
>> Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
>> That would save me a lot of my spare time...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias

>>> Hi Keith, all,
>>>
>>> Did you have time to test?
>>>
>>> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Peter Kovacs-3
We had constant 7 votes on 4.1.7 and 4.1.6 release. However only 3 volunteers voted in both releases.
These numbers are low in general. Maybe we need to organize test phases in order to raize the numbers. This will still not raise test attendance for a single feature.

How about we schedule a test release every quarter? These releases do not necessary lead to a release and are announced as unstable. But it would give people a better time frame to plan and we can advertise for tester.

Just brainstorming.
Peter

Am 30. September 2019 21:13:52 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:

>Hi Dave,
>
>Am 30.09.19 um 18:53 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> I think that it is likely people were focused on 4.1.7 testing.
>
>Where have all these people been when we voted for release? ;-)
>
>> My personal opinion is that if switching does not require users to
>switch and they can use the Oracle JRE if that is what they have then
>the change make sense.
>
>The user is still free to choose whatever JRE he/she wants (and is
>detected by AOO).
>
>I build with AdoptOpenJDK for some weeks now [1] and have found no
>problems. But that *really* needs more testing...
>
>Regards,
>
>   Matthias
>
>[1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/
>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>>> On Sep 30, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Matthias Seidel
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> No feedback=No interest?
>>>
>>> Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
>>> That would save me a lot of my spare time...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

>Windows with
>I am not

>with
>[1].
>and it

>https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

>us a
>AdoptOpenJDK
>Windows

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Peter,

Am 30.09.19 um 22:35 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> We had constant 7 votes on 4.1.7 and 4.1.6 release. However only 3 volunteers voted in both releases.
> These numbers are low in general. Maybe we need to organize test phases in order to raize the numbers. This will still not raise test attendance for a single feature.
>
> How about we schedule a test release every quarter? These releases do not necessary lead to a release and are announced as unstable. But it would give people a better time frame to plan and we can advertise for tester.

I build new versions about every second week.
For sure, people are downloading these builds and use them on a daily
base. Still no feedback!

The problem isn't about the builds...

Matthias

On 9/5/2019 6:58 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Keith, all,
>
> Did you have time to test?
>
> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

<snip>
I had done successful tests on both 4.1.7 and 4.2.0. Then got
concentrating on 4.1.7 release and forgot to get back here to report.
Please accept my humble apologies.

Regards
Keith

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Marcus (OOo)
> No feedback=No interest?
>
> Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
> That would save me a lot of my spare time...

sorry for being silent for this topic. However, Java is not really my
favorite thing. ;-)

Marcus

>> Hi Keith, all,
>>
>> Did you have time to test?
>>
>> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias

>>> Hi all,

>>> Builds are online!
>>>
>>> Please test, especially everything related to Java. ;-)

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Marcus (OOo)

> Am 30.09.19 um 22:35 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> We had constant 7 votes on 4.1.7 and 4.1.6 release. However only 3 volunteers voted in both releases.
>> These numbers are low in general. Maybe we need to organize test phases in order to raize the numbers. This will still not raise test attendance for a single feature.
>>
>> How about we schedule a test release every quarter? These releases do not necessary lead to a release and are announced as unstable. But it would give people a better time frame to plan and we can advertise for tester.
>
> I build new versions about every second week.
> For sure, people are downloading these builds and use them on a daily
> base. Still no feedback!
>
> The problem isn't about the builds...

to make it a bit more comfortable for you: What about to build only when
it is worth it (e.g., after some commits or bigger/important commits and
not with a fixed time schedule?

Just a thought.

Marcus

>> Am 30. September 2019 21:13:52 MESZ schrieb Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi Dave,

>>> Where have all these people been when we voted for release? ;-)

>>> switch and they can use the Oracle JRE if that is what they have then
>>> the change make sense.
>>>
>>> The user is still free to choose whatever JRE he/she wants (and is
>>> detected by AOO).
>>>
>>> I build with AdoptOpenJDK for some weeks now [1] and have found no
>>> problems. But that *really* needs more testing...
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>     Matthias
>>>
>>> [1] https://home.apache.org/~mseidel/AOO-builds/AOO-420-Test/

>>> Windows with
>>> I am not

>>> with
>>> [1].
>>> and it

>>> https://adoptopenjdk.net/releases.html?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot#x32_win

>>> us a
>>> AdoptOpenJDK
>>> Windows

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 01.10.19 um 01:23 schrieb Marcus:

>> Am 30.09.19 um 22:35 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> We had constant 7 votes on 4.1.7 and 4.1.6 release. However only 3
>>> volunteers voted in both releases.
>>> These numbers are low in general. Maybe we need to organize test
>>> phases in order to raize the numbers. This will still not raise test
>>> attendance for a single feature.
>>>
>>> How about we schedule a test release every quarter? These releases
>>> do not necessary lead to a release and are announced as unstable.
>>> But it would give people a better time frame to plan and we can
>>> advertise for tester.
>>
>> I build new versions about every second week.
>> For sure, people are downloading these builds and use them on a daily
>> base. Still no feedback!
>>
>> The problem isn't about the builds...
>
> to make it a bit more comfortable for you: What about to build only
> when it is worth it (e.g., after some commits or bigger/important
> commits and not with a fixed time schedule?
I am not uncomfortable with building AOO. In fact I build even more
often to test my changes before I commit.
I only upload once a week or two. ;-)

And don't forget that we have no working buildbots anymore!

Matthias

Am 01.10.19 um 01:20 schrieb Marcus:
>> No feedback=No interest?
>>
>> Maybe I should stop providing test builds.
>> That would save me a lot of my spare time...
>
> sorry for being silent for this topic. However, Java is not really my
> favorite thing. ;-)

Just do normal tests with everything that is related to Java:

 - Search in online help
 - (some) wizards
 - database
 - ...

The only "special" thing to test would be if the SDK is complete
regarding JavaDoc. But I doubt that anyone had a look at the SDK in the
past years... ;-)

Matthias

> Marcus

>>> Hi Keith, all,
>>>
>>> Did you have time to test?
>>>
>>> Feedback is always welcome... ;-)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>     Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building AOO 4.2.0 for Windows with AdoptOpenJDK

Marcus (OOo)

>>> I build new versions about every second week.
>>> For sure, people are downloading these builds and use them on a daily
>>> base. Still no feedback!
>>>
>>> The problem isn't about the builds...
>>
>> to make it a bit more comfortable for you: What about to build only
>> when it is worth it (e.g., after some commits or bigger/important
>> commits and not with a fixed time schedule?
>
> I am not uncomfortable with building AOO. In fact I build even more
> often to test my changes before I commit.
> I only upload once a week or two. ;-)
>
> And don't forget that we have no working buildbots anymore!

sure, I just want to show you a way to reduce your builds. Especially
when the commit rate is very low at the moment.

Marcus

Am 01.10.19 um 20:20 schrieb Marcus:

>>> to make it a bit more comfortable for you: What about to build only
>>> when it is worth it (e.g., after some commits or bigger/important
>>> commits and not with a fixed time schedule?
>>
>> I am not uncomfortable with building AOO. In fact I build even more
>> often to test my changes before I commit.
>> I only upload once a week or two. ;-)
>>
>> And don't forget that we have no working buildbots anymore!
>
> sure, I just want to show you a way to reduce your builds. Especially
> when the commit rate is very low at the moment.
I do only build (for my personal use) when I did a commit. This way I
can monitor if something is broken.
Constant QA is something missing from this project for way too long...

Matthias