Building module store error on macOS

Jim Jagielski
Looks like recent build changes have broken the macOS
build again... This time we die when trying to build
store.

<rant>
IMO, it would be nice if when updating, people were
a little more circumspect on how/if this would affect
other builds. I realize that it is hard to anticipate
such things, but at least some sort of warning, or
"head's up" or some summary of what was changed and
why/how, instead of just a huge commit, might make
things easier for people who then need to dig into
the weeds and fix other platforms.
</rant>

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Damjan Jovanovic
Hi

Between the gbuild migration, Win64 migration and MSVS 2015 migration, all
of which are project-wide, modules will break, a lot.

If I had access to a Mac, I would definitely be testing these changes.
Since I don't, Infra keep refusing to get us a Mac buildbot, Apple is my
least favourite platform, Apple products are disproportionately expensive,
and I do so much for AOO already (being its biggest contributor), I think
asking me to test Mac builds is unreasonable. If you want to change that, I
could be bought a Mac or given remote access to one, Mac developers could
pull their own weight, or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform.

Now as for the store build regression, please post the output of "build
--from store".

Regards
Damjan

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looks like recent build changes have broken the macOS
> build again... This time we die when trying to build
> store.
>
> <rant>
> IMO, it would be nice if when updating, people were
> a little more circumspect on how/if this would affect
> other builds. I realize that it is hard to anticipate
> such things, but at least some sort of warning, or
> "head's up" or some summary of what was changed and
> why/how, instead of just a huge commit, might make
> things easier for people who then need to dig into
> the weeds and fix other platforms.
> </rant>

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Dave Fisher
Damian,

Jim is reasonably asking for some heads up so that he can know what to expect before he does Mac and Linux builds.

Matthias would certainly like the same as well for Windows although buildbots do help.

Speaking of Mac Buildbots Jim did offer to make one available in his location and infrastructure knows how to hook that up. Is now the time?

I think we have several developers doing builds now which is great!

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Between the gbuild migration, Win64 migration and MSVS 2015 migration, all
> of which are project-wide, modules will break, a lot.
>
> If I had access to a Mac, I would definitely be testing these changes.
> Since I don't, Infra keep refusing to get us a Mac buildbot, Apple is my
> least favourite platform, Apple products are disproportionately expensive,
> and I do so much for AOO already (being its biggest contributor), I think
> asking me to test Mac builds is unreasonable. If you want to change that, I
> could be bought a Mac or given remote access to one, Mac developers could
> pull their own weight, or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform.
>
> Now as for the store build regression, please post the output of "build
> --from store".
>
> Regards
> Damjan
>

>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like recent build changes have broken the macOS
>> build again... This time we die when trying to build
>> store.
>>
>> <rant>
>> IMO, it would be nice if when updating, people were
>> a little more circumspect on how/if this would affect
>> other builds. I realize that it is hard to anticipate
>> such things, but at least some sort of warning, or
>> "head's up" or some summary of what was changed and
>> why/how, instead of just a huge commit, might make
>> things easier for people who then need to dig into
>> the weeds and fix other platforms.
>> </rant>

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Matthias Seidel
Am 27.03.2018 um 17:43 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Damian,
>
> Jim is reasonably asking for some heads up so that he can know what to expect before he does Mac and Linux builds.
>
> Matthias would certainly like the same as well for Windows although buildbots do help.

I always monitor new commits here:
https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/?view=log

Damjans comments are always descriptive (unlike mine).
But sometimes he is committing faster than I can test! ;-)

Regards,
    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Damjan Jovanovic
 Yes, a Mac buildbot would be very welcome. Please add one.

I am primarily developing on Windows now, as developing on the most
problematic platform first makes it easy to port to others later.

The general instability over the last few weeks has also been due to the
progress made, which has been overdue for some time. Gbuild now supports
UDK versioned libraries and SONAMEs, which has allowed more modules to be
ported to it. We're now at > 50% of the non-external modules ported to
gbuild.

Also my name is Damjan, not Damian :).

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Damian,
>
> Jim is reasonably asking for some heads up so that he can know what to
> expect before he does Mac and Linux builds.
>
> Matthias would certainly like the same as well for Windows although
> buildbots do help.
>
> Speaking of Mac Buildbots Jim did offer to make one available in his
> location and infrastructure knows how to hook that up. Is now the time?
>
> I think we have several developers doing builds now which is great!
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 27, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Between the gbuild migration, Win64 migration and MSVS 2015 migration,
> all
> > of which are project-wide, modules will break, a lot.
> >
> > If I had access to a Mac, I would definitely be testing these changes.
> > Since I don't, Infra keep refusing to get us a Mac buildbot, Apple is my
> > least favourite platform, Apple products are disproportionately
> expensive,
> > and I do so much for AOO already (being its biggest contributor), I think
> > asking me to test Mac builds is unreasonable. If you want to change
> that, I
> > could be bought a Mac or given remote access to one, Mac developers could
> > pull their own weight, or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform.
> >
> > Now as for the store build regression, please post the output of "build
> > --from store".
> >
> > Regards
> > Damjan
> >

> >> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Looks like recent build changes have broken the macOS
> >> build again... This time we die when trying to build
> >> store.
> >>
> >> <rant>
> >> IMO, it would be nice if when updating, people were
> >> a little more circumspect on how/if this would affect
> >> other builds. I realize that it is hard to anticipate
> >> such things, but at least some sort of warning, or
> >> "head's up" or some summary of what was changed and
> >> why/how, instead of just a huge commit, might make
> >> things easier for people who then need to dig into
> >> the weeds and fix other platforms.
> >> </rant>

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Dave Fisher
Apologies on the name. Damjan gets autocorrected by Apple. It’s a problem.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Larry Gusaas-4

On 2018-03-27, 9:13 AM Damjan Jovanovic wrote concerning "Re: Building module store error on
macOS":
> Apple products are disproportionately expensive

Bulllshit. No, they are not. Quit spreading FUD.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Dave Fisher
For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and development has to proceed on physical Apple boxes.

If we could have macOS on a VM not on Apple hardware then we would have a Apache hosted macOS buildbot now and for the prior four years.

So, Apple does cost the project more. Before you FUD me I’ve been a Mac guy since the MacSE.

Regards,
Dave

On 2018-03-27, 4:32 PM Dave Fisher wrote concerning "Re: Building module store error on macOS":

> For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and development has to proceed on physical Apple boxes.
>
> If we could have macOS on a VM not on Apple hardware then we would have a Apache hosted macOS buildbot now and for the prior four years.

True, but there are very good reasons for Apple to work that way.

> So, Apple does cost the project more.

Yes. But that is not what I responded to. The specific quote was "Apple products are
disproportionately expensive", which is pure FUD. That along with the statement "or Mac could
be dropped as a supported platform" gets my hackles up. It is typical of the anti-Mac rhetoric
I encounter way too often.

> Before you FUD me

I wasn't replying to you.

> I’ve been a Mac guy since the MacSE.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 12:01 PM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 2018-03-27, 9:13 AM Damjan Jovanovic wrote concerning "Re: Building module store error on macOS":
>>> Apple products are disproportionately expensive
>> Bulllshit. No, they are not. Quit spreading FUD.

--
_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Damjan Jovanovic
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 2018-03-27, 4:32 PM Dave Fisher wrote concerning "Re: Building module
> store error on macOS":
>
> For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and
>> development has to proceed on physical Apple boxes.
>>
>> If we could have macOS on a VM not on Apple hardware then we would have a
>> Apache hosted macOS buildbot now and for the prior four years.
>>

> True, but there are very good reasons for Apple to work that way.
>
> So, Apple does cost the project more.
>>

> Yes. But that is not what I responded to. The specific quote was "Apple
> products are disproportionately expensive", which is pure FUD. That along
> with the statement "or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform" gets
> my hackles up. It is typical of the anti-Mac rhetoric I encounter way too
> often.

If Apple is that cheap for you and you believe in it that much, I've
already outlined what you can do, such as buying us a Mac mini or providing
access to one, or contributing as a developer.

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Dave Fisher
Hi Damjan,

Larry has contributed Release and Build testing for MacOS. I thank him for that.

We are all in this together. No one individual should feel overburdened. Enough have stuck around and things are developing.

Larry - Are you ready to test Jim’s MacOS build instructions and try to build on your Mac?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 7:44 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

>> On 2018-03-27, 4:32 PM Dave Fisher wrote concerning "Re: Building module
>> store error on macOS":
>>
>> For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and
>>> development has to proceed on physical Apple boxes.
>>>
>>> If we could have macOS on a VM not on Apple hardware then we would have a
>>> Apache hosted macOS buildbot now and for the prior four years.
>>>

>> True, but there are very good reasons for Apple to work that way.
>>
>> So, Apple does cost the project more.
>>>

>> Yes. But that is not what I responded to. The specific quote was "Apple
>> products are disproportionately expensive", which is pure FUD. That along
>> with the statement "or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform" gets
>> my hackles up. It is typical of the anti-Mac rhetoric I encounter way too
>> often.
>>

> If Apple is that cheap for you and you believe in it that much, I've
> already outlined what you can do, such as buying us a Mac mini or providing
> access to one, or contributing as a developer.

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Damjan Jovanovic
Oh I wasn't aware. In that case, thank you Larry, great work :).

Why don't we hear from you Mac guys more? How can we work better together?
What happened to Jim's Mac buildbot idea?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:03 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Damjan,
>
> Larry has contributed Release and Build testing for MacOS. I thank him for
> that.
>
> We are all in this together. No one individual should feel overburdened.
> Enough have stuck around and things are developing.
>
> Larry - Are you ready to test Jim’s MacOS build instructions and try to
> build on your Mac?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 27, 2018, at 7:44 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 12:57 AM, Larry Gusaas <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> On 2018-03-27, 4:32 PM Dave Fisher wrote concerning "Re: Building module
> >> store error on macOS":
> >>
> >> For development purposes Apple does not allow virtualization and

> have a
> >>>

> >> True, but there are very good reasons for Apple to work that way.
> >>
> >> So, Apple does cost the project more.
> >>>

> >> Yes. But that is not what I responded to. The specific quote was "Apple
> >> products are disproportionately expensive", which is pure FUD. That
> along
> >> with the statement "or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform"
> gets
> >> my hackles up. It is typical of the anti-Mac rhetoric I encounter way
> too
> >> often.
> >>

> > If Apple is that cheap for you and you believe in it that much, I've
> > already outlined what you can do, such as buying us a Mac mini or
> providing
> > access to one, or contributing as a developer.

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Jim Jagielski
I actually have a mac mini that I had been using until I decided to
move to macOS VMs (so I could take advantage of faster machines).
As with most things, the issue isn't getting the h/w but rather the
administration of the machine.

> On Mar 28, 2018, at 1:26 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oh I wasn't aware. In that case, thank you Larry, great work :).
>
> Why don't we hear from you Mac guys more? How can we work better together?
> What happened to Jim's Mac buildbot idea?
>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:03 AM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Damjan,
>>
>> Larry has contributed Release and Build testing for MacOS. I thank him for
>> that.
>>
>> We are all in this together. No one individual should feel overburdened.
>> Enough have stuck around and things are developing.
>>
>> Larry - Are you ready to test Jim’s MacOS build instructions and try to
>> build on your Mac?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 7:44 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> have a

>> along
>> gets
>> too
>>>>

>>> If Apple is that cheap for you and you believe in it that much, I've
>>> already outlined what you can do, such as buying us a Mac mini or
>> providing
>>> access to one, or contributing as a developer.

Re: Building module store error on macOS

Jim Jagielski
Sometimes just a "heads-up" before the (sizable) commits might be
nice, esp on commits that will likely break builds.

At some point, however, we need to draw a line in the sand and
say "we will hold things steady for awhile" or else we'll never get
to a point where we can reasonably build and test 4.2.0. For example,
if a dev release is made, and some bugs are found, and potentially *fixed*,
but in the meantime more work is done on the gbuild migration, it makes
it harder to see if those fixes actually work. It's hard to QA a constantly
changing project.

I will start another thread on the gbuild topic...

> On Mar 27, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 27.03.2018 um 17:43 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Damian,
>>
>> Jim is reasonably asking for some heads up so that he can know what to expect before he does Mac and Linux builds.
>>
>> Matthias would certainly like the same as well for Windows although buildbots do help.
>
> I always monitor new commits here:
> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/?view=log
>
> Damjans comments are always descriptive (unlike mine).
> But sometimes he is committing faster than I can test! ;-)
>
> Regards,
>    Matthias
>

>> Speaking of Mac Buildbots Jim did offer to make one available in his location and infrastructure knows how to hook that up. Is now the time?
>>
>> I think we have several developers doing builds now which is great!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Mar 27, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Damjan Jovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Between the gbuild migration, Win64 migration and MSVS 2015 migration, all
>>> of which are project-wide, modules will break, a lot.
>>>
>>> If I had access to a Mac, I would definitely be testing these changes.
>>> Since I don't, Infra keep refusing to get us a Mac buildbot, Apple is my
>>> least favourite platform, Apple products are disproportionately expensive,
>>> and I do so much for AOO already (being its biggest contributor), I think
>>> asking me to test Mac builds is unreasonable. If you want to change that, I
>>> could be bought a Mac or given remote access to one, Mac developers could
>>> pull their own weight, or Mac could be dropped as a supported platform.
>>>
>>> Now as for the store build regression, please post the output of "build
>>> --from store".
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Damjan

gbuild migration (Was: Re: Building module store error on macOS)

Jim Jagielski

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> I will start another thread on the gbuild topic...

First and foremost, I am incredibly impressed with the work
being done on the gbuild migration. I really am.

However, and there's always a "however", there must come
a time where we "hold the line" on migration in hopes of getting
a 4.2.0 out. As such, I think some sort of plan might be due
(and apologies if we have such a documented plan already
in place)...

Does it make sense to spend time to list modules that still
need that migration and then prioritize them? As well as
create a policy such that all "new and updated" modules
must use gbuild but for existing modules, "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it"?

I'm not trying to stifle the migration, it's just that it appears
to me that we need better management about it.

Re: gbuild migration (Was: Re: Building module store error on macOS)

Damjan Jovanovic
Thank you, I appreciate it.

The list of gbuild modules is in main/Module_ooo.mk. The rest are using
dmake. The next one I expect to port is main/jurt, and that will be a
substantial patch.

Will our release process keep testing trunk until it's ready, then make a
branch of it to use for the release?

If necessary I can work on modules offline or in another branch, then
commit or merge them back when the release is over.

Am 04.04.2018 um 15:06 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

On Apr 4, 2018, at 9:01 AM, Jim Jagielski [hidden email] wrote:

I will start another thread on the gbuild topic...

First and foremost, I am incredibly impressed with the work
being done on the gbuild migration. I really am.

However, and there's always a "however", there must come
a time where we "hold the line" on migration in hopes of getting
a 4.2.0 out. As such, I think some sort of plan might be due
(and apologies if we have such a documented plan already
in place)...

I don't know if there is already a plan, but what about voting for a release manager and get the thing going?

Regards, Matthias