CALC: Insert tab character

Elchanan-2
How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
Elchanan

Re: CALC: Insert tab character

Harold Fuchs-2
On 27/11/2007 17:54, Elchanan wrote:
> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
> Elchanan

The *only* way I've found so far is really horrible:
Create a blank document in a text editor (Notepad, vi, whatever) and
enter a tab character. Select this tab character and copy it to the
clipboard. Go to the relevant place in the Calc cell's input line and
paste from the clipboard. Turns out you can use Writer as your "text
editor" if you like.

I've tried using Regular Expressions in Calc but that's no good. For
example, with REs turned on, changing XX to X\tX *should* insert a tab
between the two X's. Works in Writer, not in Calc.

Ahhhhh. "Insert>Formatting Mark>Non-breaking space" will insert a single
non-breaking space; repeat as necessary :-( The cursor needs to be
positioned at the right place within the text input line.

PLEASE someone tell me there's a better way.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England

Re: CALC: Insert tab character

Bob Long
Harold Fuchs wrote:

> On 27/11/2007 17:54, Elchanan wrote:
>> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
>> Elchanan
>>
> The *only* way I've found so far is really horrible:
> Create a blank document in a text editor (Notepad, vi, whatever) and
> enter a tab character. Select this tab character and copy it to the
> clipboard. Go to the relevant place in the Calc cell's input line and
> paste from the clipboard. Turns out you can use Writer as your "text
> editor" if you like.
>
> I've tried using Regular Expressions in Calc but that's no good. For
> example, with REs turned on, changing XX to X\tX *should* insert a tab
> between the two X's. Works in Writer, not in Calc.
>
> Ahhhhh. "Insert>Formatting Mark>Non-breaking space" will insert a
> single non-breaking space; repeat as necessary :-( The cursor needs
> to be positioned at the right place within the text input line.

But multiple spaces are not tabs.

I see that the help (inserting;tab stops) mentions:

"If you want to change the settings of your default tab stops, you will find
further information under Tools - Options - OpenOffice.org Calc - General."

But how and where is that used, especially if tabs themselves can't be
entered?

> PLEASE someone tell me there's a better way.

I hope so!

--
Bob Long

Re: CALC: Insert tab character

Jim Allan-2
Elchanan wrote:
> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?

Well you can insert one in a way, but as it doesn't do anything in the
cell, there’s not much point in it.

In the expression box you can type

        ="a" & CHAR(8) & "b" & CHAR(8) & "c"

The expression CHAR(8) represents the tab character. If you move the
cursor off the cell, the full expression appears in the cell as

         abc

But if you copy the expression from the cell itself and paste it from
the cell into an editor or word processor it may appear as something like

         a[]b[]c

Here [] represents an empty box or some special symbol used in the font
for the tab character. Copy and paste the character into the editor for
a language that can provide the numeric value of a character and it will
confirm that this is character 8. For example, in Basic use something like

         ? asc("[]")

But this character, when inserted in this way, doesn’t do anything,
whether in most editors or in Calc itself.

Perhaps you might explain what you want to do with this tab character.

Jim Allan

Re: CALC: Insert tab character

Andy Lewis-3
Harold Fuchs wrote:

> On 27/11/2007 17:54, Elchanan wrote:
>> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
>> Elchanan
>>

> I've tried using Regular Expressions in Calc but that's no good. For
> example, with REs turned on, changing XX to X\tX *should* insert a tab
> between the two X's. Works in Writer, not in Calc.

The above works for me in Calc (OOo 2.0.4 on Fedora).  Not a great
solution, but OK.  (On the other hand, I can't think when I've ever
wanted a tab within a cell?)

Andy

Re: CALC: Insert tab character

LISBET HOGLAND

> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
> Elchanan

Re: Re: CALC: Insert tab character

Harold Fuchs-2
On 28/11/2007 22:56, Jim Allan wrote:

> Elchanan wrote:
>> How can one insert a tab character into a Calc cell?
>
> Well you can insert one in a way, but as it doesn't do anything in the
> cell, there’s not much point in it.
>
> In the expression box you can type
>
>        ="a" & CHAR(8) & "b" & CHAR(8) & "c"
>
> The expression CHAR(8) represents the tab character. If you move the
> cursor off the cell, the full expression appears in the cell as
>
>         abc
<snip>

Ermmmm,  char(8) is backspace; tab is char(9).