CAN'T MOVE ANY PARAGRAPH !!!

Edward Eckhard
FOR BRIAN BARKER

Dear Brian,

You've helped me before, and I ask for help again. Same problem !

I can't move a paragraph or even a sentence or two to somewhere else in
the same document. As before, I use the CNTL and Shift X and hi-light the
paragraph, which works. But then when trying to move the paragraph to
another location in the same document, using the courser to ID the new location,
then using CNTL C or V, or anything, it doesn't work! The paragraph does not
get moved. It stays where it was.

Before, when you helped, it had something to do with the Toolbar. Don't
remember what it was. But I will say that the CNTL C or V in the Toolbar
isn't hi-lighted and doesn't work. What am I doing wrong, or not doing ???

Please help ! Edward Eckhard

Re: CAN'T MOVE ANY PARAGRAPH !!!

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:35:52 -0400 (EDT)
Edward Eckhard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FOR BRIAN BARKER
>

> Dear Brian,
>

> You've helped me before, and I ask for help again. Same problem !
>

> I can't move a paragraph or even a sentence or two to somewhere else in
> the same document. As before, I use the CNTL and Shift X and hi-light the
> paragraph, which works. But then when trying to move the paragraph to
> another location in the same document, using the courser to ID the new location,
> then using CNTL C or V, or anything, it doesn't work! The paragraph does not
> get moved. It stays where it was.
>

> Before, when you helped, it had something to do with the Toolbar. Don't
> remember what it was. But I will say that the CNTL C or V in the Toolbar
> isn't hi-lighted and doesn't work. What am I doing wrong, or not doing ???
>

> Please help ! Edward Eckhard

Is your file read-only?  This might be shown by a read-only message in the title bar?

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: CAN'T MOVE ANY PARAGRAPH !!!

Brian Barker
At 15:35 15/06/2017 -0400, Edward Eckhard wrote:
>FOR BRIAN BARKER

Er, I'm not sure you are allowed to restrict who might try to help you!

>I can't move a paragraph or even a sentence or two to somewhere else
>in the same document. As before, I use the CNTL and Shift X and
>hi-light the paragraph, which works.

How do you know "it works"? Do you mean that the selected text
disappears? It should if you cut successfully, but shouldn't if you
do this. First, the keyboard shortcut for Cut is Ctrl+X, not
Ctrl+Shift+X. Secondly, you seem to suggest that you use the keyboard
shortcut first and highlight the text afterwards, which also won't
work. The Cut action cuts what you currently have highlighted, so you
have to select the relevant text first, before using Ctrl+X.

>But then when trying to move the paragraph to another location in
>the same document, using the cursor to ID the new location, then
>using CNTL C or V, or anything, it doesn't work!

Ctrl+C is the keyboard shortcut for Copy, so if you use this without
anything selected at the new location, you will not paste anything.
Worse still, if you have anything - even just a blank space -
selected at the new location, the Copy action will place this text on
the clipboard instead, replacing the text you are trying to move and
thus losing it.

Ctrl+V should work as Paste, providing you have cut or copied
correctly earlier.

>The paragraph does not get moved. It stays where it was.

If it is still where it was, clearly your attempt to cut text was
unsuccessful, contrary to what you claimed earlier.

>But I will say that the CNTL C or V in the Toolbar isn't hi-lighted
>and doesn't work.

The Cut and Copy icons in the Standard toolbar will be greyed out if
you have no text selected. The Paste icon in the Standard toolbar
will be greyed out if there is currently nothing on the clipboard to
paste. (There are other possibilities.)

>What am I doing wrong, or not doing ?

Try:
o Selecting text before attempting to handle it.
o Using the correct Ctrl+X for Cut.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker