[CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

[CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Dave Fisher-2
We have two websites using the Apache CMS which has been deprecated.

I have migrated both of these sites away from the CMS.

(1) The project website - https://openoffice.apache.org <https://openoffice.apache.org/>

The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project>
Staging is https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/ <https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/>

This site uses Pelican and Markdown. It automatically builds and pushes to staging when changes are submitted. Buildbot is used along with Infra’s preferred .asf.yaml methods.

The content is caught up to the 4.1.8 release. The README.md still needs work.

There are 46 pages and many are out of date. Committers are enabled to make edits and the site will update in less than one minute.

(2) The user site - https://www.openoffice.org <https://www.openoffice.org/>

The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org>
Staging is https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org <https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/>

This site uses JBake, Groovy, HTML, and Markdown. The README.md explains how it is built using Jenkins.

The content is not yet caught up to the 4.1.8 release.

There are approximately 20,000 pages of which about 300 are Markdown. Why and Product markdown pages should be easier to translate since the special class attributes have been removed to a post processing step.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Peter Kovacs-3
Awesome Job, Dave! I really appreciate the hard work you have put into
this topic.

So next steps would be to get the

1) Check for Issues

2) update page towards 4.1.8

3) switch to the new system

in roder to finish the Migration?

As a next step I see an inventory of the pages and get an overview on
the content.

Maybe we can develop then a plan for restructuring and modernizing the
pages.

Any other Ideas what are the next steps?

All the best

Peter

Am 11.11.20 um 20:35 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> We have two websites using the Apache CMS which has been deprecated.
>
> I have migrated both of these sites away from the CMS.
>
> (1) The project website - https://openoffice.apache.org <https://openoffice.apache.org/>
>
> The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project>
> Staging is https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/ <https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/>
>
> This site uses Pelican and Markdown. It automatically builds and pushes to staging when changes are submitted. Buildbot is used along with Infra’s preferred .asf.yaml methods.
>
> The content is caught up to the 4.1.8 release. The README.md still needs work.
>
> There are 46 pages and many are out of date. Committers are enabled to make edits and the site will update in less than one minute.
>
> (2) The user site - https://www.openoffice.org <https://www.openoffice.org/>
>
> The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org>
> Staging is https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org <https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/>
>
> This site uses JBake, Groovy, HTML, and Markdown. The README.md explains how it is built using Jenkins.
>
> The content is not yet caught up to the 4.1.8 release.
>
> There are approximately 20,000 pages of which about 300 are Markdown. Why and Product markdown pages should be easier to translate since the special class attributes have been removed to a post processing step.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

Re: [CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave, Peter,

Am 11.11.20 um 21:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> Awesome Job, Dave! I really appreciate the hard work you have put into
> this topic.
I couldn't have said it better...

> So next steps would be to get the
>
> 1) Check for Issues
>
> 2) update page towards 4.1.8
>
> 3) switch to the new system
>
> in roder to finish the Migration?
I would propose to switch openoffice.apache.org first. It looks really
identical for me and rhe risk is low.

Additionally I have slightly modified css, that I would like to test.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 12:53 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave, Peter,
>
> Am 11.11.20 um 21:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>> Awesome Job, Dave! I really appreciate the hard work you have put into
>> this topic.
> I couldn't have said it better...
>>
>> So next steps would be to get the
>>
>> 1) Check for Issues
>>
>> 2) update page towards 4.1.8

For OOo - I need to remigrate a set of pages. I’m waiting until those are stable.

>> 3) switch to the new system
>>
>> in roder to finish the Migration?
>
> I would propose to switch openoffice.apache.org first. It looks really
> identical for me and rhe risk is low.

Agreed. There is only a small thing I want to check.

> Additionally I have slightly modified css, that I would like to test.

Playing with css is a perfect thing to do now. Please see it in theme/openoffice/static/css/openoffice.css

Learn to do it before we go live. Edit it in Github. Save. Wait one minute and check the staging site.

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>

>> As a next step I see an inventory of the pages and get an overview on
>> the content.

Yes for the project site - oo.a.o

>> Maybe we can develop then a plan for restructuring and modernizing the
>> pages.

Let’s get switched over.

Redesigning of oo.a.o is easier than oo.o

For oo.a.o you study the /theme/openoffice/templates and css mentioned above.

For oo.o you study the /templates/ and ooo.css

>> Any other Ideas what are the next steps?

If a designer creates an html skeleton then we can make it fit the templates and css.

Regards,
Dave

>> All the best
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> Am 11.11.20 um 20:35 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>>> We have two websites using the Apache CMS which has been deprecated.
>>>
>>> I have migrated both of these sites away from the CMS.
>>>
>>> (1) The project website - https://openoffice.apache.org
>>> <https://openoffice.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project
>>> <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-project>
>>> Staging is https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/
>>> <https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> This site uses Pelican and Markdown. It automatically builds and
>>> pushes to staging when changes are submitted. Buildbot is used along
>>> with Infra’s preferred .asf.yaml methods.
>>>
>>> The content is caught up to the 4.1.8 release. The README.md still
>>> needs work.
>>>
>>> There are 46 pages and many are out of date. Committers are enabled
>>> to make edits and the site will update in less than one minute.
>>>
>>> (2) The user site - https://www.openoffice.org
>>> <https://www.openoffice.org/>
>>>
>>> The new repository is https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org
>>> <https://github.com/apache/openoffice-org>
>>> Staging is https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org
>>> <https://openoffice-org.staged.apache.org/>
>>>
>>> This site uses JBake, Groovy, HTML, and Markdown. The README.md
>>> explains how it is built using Jenkins.
>>>
>>> The content is not yet caught up to the 4.1.8 release.
>>>
>>> There are approximately 20,000 pages of which about 300 are Markdown.
>>> Why and Product markdown pages should be easier to translate since
>>> the special class attributes have been removed to a post processing
>>> step.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave

Re: [CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

Top posting:

I made a small change to css in o.a.o now:

https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/downloads.html

BTW: How do we prevent search engines to index the staged pages? Is
robots.txt still "state of the art"?

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 11.11.20 um 23:49 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Hi -
>
>> On Nov 11, 2020, at 12:53 PM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dave, Peter,
>>
>> Am 11.11.20 um 21:45 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
>>> Awesome Job, Dave! I really appreciate the hard work you have put into
>>> this topic.
>> I couldn't have said it better...
>>> So next steps would be to get the
>>>
>>> 1) Check for Issues
>>>
>>> 2) update page towards 4.1.8
> For OOo - I need to remigrate a set of pages. I’m waiting until those are stable.
>
>>> 3) switch to the new system
>>>
>>> in roder to finish the Migration?
>> I would propose to switch openoffice.apache.org first. It looks really
>> identical for me and rhe risk is low.
> Agreed. There is only a small thing I want to check.
>> Additionally I have slightly modified css, that I would like to test.
> Playing with css is a perfect thing to do now. Please see it in theme/openoffice/static/css/openoffice.css
>
> Learn to do it before we go live. Edit it in Github. Save. Wait one minute and check the staging site.
>

>> Regards,
>>
>>    Matthias
>>

>>> As a next step I see an inventory of the pages and get an overview on
>>> the content.
> Yes for the project site - oo.a.o
>
>>> Maybe we can develop then a plan for restructuring and modernizing the
>>> pages.
> Let’s get switched over.
>
> Redesigning of oo.a.o is easier than oo.o
>
> For oo.a.o you study the /theme/openoffice/templates and css mentioned above.
>
> For oo.o you study the /templates/ and ooo.css
>
>>> Any other Ideas what are the next steps?
> If a designer creates an html skeleton then we can make it fit the templates and css.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

>>> All the best
>>>
>>> Peter

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [CMS Migration] Ready for Acceptance Testing

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Top posting:
>
> I made a small change to css in o.a.o now:
>
> https://openoffice.staged.apache.org/downloads.html

Great.

> BTW: How do we prevent search engines to index the staged pages? Is
> robots.txt still "state of the art"?

The staging servers are not usual targets for crawlers - we should only worry about this if we are going to leave things staged for sometime.

For the project site I think we should just publish immediately.

For oo.o a robots.txt that is special is additional work. Right now the production robots.txt is copied as is from staging.

Regards,
Dave