Calc formula errors after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1

Calc formula errors after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1

Michael C. Toren
Hi,

I have a number of OO Calc formulas which make use of the =ADDRESS
function, however this function in OO 2.0 appears to be broken, or
behaving differently than it did in OO 1.1.  For example:

        =ADDRESS(1;1;1; "sheet1")

In OO Calc 1.1.5, this would correctly return "sheet1.$A$1".  However
after upgrading to OO Calc 1.9.129 (which is included in OO "2.0"), the
same formula now returns "Err:502", and in the lower right hand corner of
the window, the detailed error message is "Error: Invalid argument".  As
far as I can tell from the documentation, the =ADDRESS function has not
changed.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a known workaround?

Thanks,
-mct

Re: Calc formula errors after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1

David Chapman
FWIW, address function works fine for me. 1.9.84

Try dropping the sheet argument for the moment. See what happens...

Dave

On 12/3/05, Michael C. Toren <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a number of OO Calc formulas which make use of the =ADDRESS
> function, however this function in OO 2.0 appears to be broken, or
> behaving differently than it did in OO 1.1.  For example:
>
>         =ADDRESS(1;1;1; "sheet1")
>
> In OO Calc 1.1.5, this would correctly return "sheet1.$A$1".  However
> after upgrading to OO Calc 1.9.129 (which is included in OO "2.0"), the
> same formula now returns "Err:502", and in the lower right hand corner of
> the window, the detailed error message is "Error: Invalid argument".  As
> far as I can tell from the documentation, the =ADDRESS function has not
> changed.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a known workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> -mct

My OpenOffice Calc Website
http://www.openofficetips.com

Re: Calc formula errors after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1

Dan Lewis-6
On Saturday 03 December 2005 10:57 am, Michael C. Toren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a number of OO Calc formulas which make use of the =ADDRESS
> function, however this function in OO 2.0 appears to be broken, or
> behaving differently than it did in OO 1.1.  For example:
>
> =ADDRESS(1;1;1; "sheet1")
>
> In OO Calc 1.1.5, this would correctly return "sheet1.$A$1".  However
> after upgrading to OO Calc 1.9.129 (which is included in OO "2.0"), the
> same formula now returns "Err:502", and in the lower right hand corner of
> the window, the detailed error message is "Error: Invalid argument".  As
> far as I can tell from the documentation, the =ADDRESS function has not
> changed.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a known workaround?
>
> Thanks,
> -mct

Look closely at these two lines:

=ADDRESS(1;1;1;"sheet1")
=ADDRESS(1;1;1; "sheet1")

     Which one did you enter in the cell? The second one has a space between
the third and fourth argument. It might be a typing error perhaps.
     I opened a Calc sheet in 2.0 and entered the following in A1:
=ADDRESS(4;5;1;"sheet1"). The result in A1 was
sheet1.$E$4.

Dan

Re: Calc formula errors after upgrading to 2.0 from 1.1

Niklas Nebel
Michael C. Toren wrote:

> I have a number of OO Calc formulas which make use of the =ADDRESS
> function, however this function in OO 2.0 appears to be broken, or
> behaving differently than it did in OO 1.1.  For example:
>
> =ADDRESS(1;1;1; "sheet1")
>
> In OO Calc 1.1.5, this would correctly return "sheet1.$A$1".  However
> after upgrading to OO Calc 1.9.129 (which is included in OO "2.0"), the
> same formula now returns "Err:502", and in the lower right hand corner of
> the window, the detailed error message is "Error: Invalid argument".  As
> far as I can tell from the documentation, the =ADDRESS function has not
> changed.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a known workaround?

Use the version from the OpenOffice.org website. The makers of some
Linux distributions chose to alter the parameters of the ADDRESS
function, leading to such compatibility problems with existing documents.

Niklas