Calc: shifting chart axis upward

paul_b-4
I've actually been having some good results using charting. Two
questions I haven't been able to answer:

First, is it possible to shift the X axis upward? All my values
lie between 20 and 190, and I'd like to concentrate the chart
visually by not showing the 0-20 range.

A related question. Is it possible to have two Y axis scales, so
my 20-25 scales and 180-190 scales could be shown beside each
other on the same Y axis segment? This way I could concentrate
the chart much more, showing much more detail for a given area.

Thanks,
Paul

--
Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: shifting chart axis upward

David Chapman
Here is Flash animation of what you want... (600k)
http://www.openofficetips.com/downloads/axis_modify.htm

Normal HTML format... (bandwidth friendly)
http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/archives/2005/11/charting_modify.html

I hope this helps...

Dave

My OpenOffice Calc Website

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:26:05 -0500, David Chapman wrote:

> Here is Flash animation of what you want... (600k)
> http://www.openofficetips.com/downloads/axis_modify.htm
>
> Normal HTML format... (bandwidth friendly)
> http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/archives/2005/11/charting_modify.html
>
> I hope this helps...
>
> Dave
>
> On 11/13/05, Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've actually been having some good results using charting. Two
>> questions I haven't been able to answer:
>>
>> First, is it possible to shift the X axis upward? All my values
>> lie between 20 and 190, and I'd like to concentrate the chart
>> visually by not showing the 0-20 range.
>>
>> A related question. Is it possible to have two Y axis scales, so
>> my 20-25 scales and 180-190 scales could be shown beside each
>> other on the same Y axis segment? This way I could concentrate
>> the chart much more, showing much more detail for a given area.

Thanks, Dave. That at least points the way to how to do this. But
I've got a remaining problem - the program keeps telling me my
choice of axis level is less/greater than the minimum/maximum
value. I went back and filled in blank cells with placeholder
data - something I did not want to do - and that didn't help. I
lopped off the first row, which contained label data, which I did
not want to do. But nothing gets me past this error.

Thanks for pointing the way, in any case.

Paul

--
Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Re: Calc: shifting chart axis upward

David Chapman
Paul,

Make sure the updated x axis level is defined between the new min and
max y axis values.

If you redefine your minimum y axis value to 20, you need to shift the
x-axis to at least the
20 mark.

Failing that, just send me your sheet privately (this mailing list
does not like attachments)

Dave

On 11/16/05, Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:26:05 -0500, David Chapman wrote:
>
> > Here is Flash animation of what you want... (600k)
> > http://www.openofficetips.com/downloads/axis_modify.htm
> >
> > Normal HTML format... (bandwidth friendly)
> > http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/archives/2005/11/charting_modify.html
> >
> > I hope this helps...
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > On 11/13/05, Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've actually been having some good results using charting. Two
> >> questions I haven't been able to answer:
> >>
> >> First, is it possible to shift the X axis upward? All my values
> >> lie between 20 and 190, and I'd like to concentrate the chart
> >> visually by not showing the 0-20 range.
> >>
> >> A related question. Is it possible to have two Y axis scales, so
> >> my 20-25 scales and 180-190 scales could be shown beside each
> >> other on the same Y axis segment? This way I could concentrate
> >> the chart much more, showing much more detail for a given area.
>

> Thanks, Dave. That at least points the way to how to do this. But
> I've got a remaining problem - the program keeps telling me my
> choice of axis level is less/greater than the minimum/maximum
> value. I went back and filled in blank cells with placeholder
> data - something I did not want to do - and that didn't help. I
> lopped off the first row, which contained label data, which I did
> not want to do. But nothing gets me past this error.
>
> Thanks for pointing the way, in any case.
>
> Paul
>

> --
> Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

My OpenOffice Calc Website
http://www.openofficetips.com

Re: Calc: shifting chart axis upward

paul_b-4
Dave, that did it perfectly. I assume you meant to enter the
number at the "axis at [  ]" spot. Unfortunately, I haven't a
clue what I did, but the effect is just what I wanted.

The next thing I'd like to do is display two parameters on the Y
axis, each with its own scale. In this case, weight would vary
between 160-190 while bodyfat percentage would range from 15 to
23, both commonly plotted against time on the X axis. For in
shifting the y axis up to 160, I lost the BF display.

But that's probably a question for another thread.

Thanks very much, once again.

Paul

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:51:11 -0700, David Chapman wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Make sure the updated x axis level is defined between the new min and
> max y axis values.
>
> If you redefine your minimum y axis value to 20, you need to shift the
> x-axis to at least the
> 20 mark.
>
> Failing that, just send me your sheet privately (this mailing list
> does not like attachments)
>
> Dave
>
> On 11/16/05, Paul_B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:26:05 -0500, David Chapman wrote:
>>
>>> Here is Flash animation of what you want... (600k)
>>> http://www.openofficetips.com/downloads/axis_modify.htm
>>>
>>> Normal HTML format... (bandwidth friendly)
>>> http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/archives/2005/11/charting_modify.html
>>>
>>> I hope this helps...
>>>
>>> Dave

>> Thanks, Dave. That at least points the way to how to do this. But
>> I've got a remaining problem - the program keeps telling me my
>> choice of axis level is less/greater than the minimum/maximum
>> value. I went back and filled in blank cells with placeholder
>> data - something I did not want to do - and that didn't help. I
>> lopped off the first row, which contained label data, which I did
>> not want to do. But nothing gets me past this error.
>>
>> Thanks for pointing the way, in any case.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>> Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.

Using OOo 2.0 on Win XP sp2.